Oh My God! What Do I Do?

Decorating By saltystella Updated 5 Mar 2007 , 10:14pm by mendhigurl

saltystella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saltystella Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 13

I made a cookie order for a girl's bridal shower this past weekend. The cookies turned out great, matched her color requests, etc. She asked that little message tags be put on, which I did for 20 cents each. She just sent me an email that the cookies were a huge hit, they were beautiful, and oh by the way I spelled her name wrong on the tags! I'm mortified! It was totally my fault, odd name..."Witnery" and I spelled it "Whitnery." Her cousin, a close friend of mine picked them up on Friday morning, the shower was Saturday afternoon. I guess no one noticed? I totally would have redone them for her! Anyway, what do I do besides apologize for ruining her shower, reimburse her for the tags, $7.00, and apologize again?

HELP!

12 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 13

If she didn't ask for a refund on anything, I wouldn't worry about it. Apologize, of course. Lesson learned. Sometimes it isn't about the money.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 13

I would offer a partial refund.......but she may not even take it.........sounds like she still loved the cookies

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 13

I'd refund her the money for the tags and maybe send her an "I'm Sorry" cookie order.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 13

I wouldn't offer a refund, that is a slippery slope! However, I would send her a nice card or something and tell her how pleased you are that they were a hit, and that you are terribly sorry for the mistake in the name. I would include something like, "It's such a unique name!" Just be very friendly, she obviously wasn't too angry or you'd have gotten and earful. You could offer her a small freebie to 'make up for it'. I would just be so careful about refunding... especially if she didn't ask. All of a sudden other people will know you pass out money and they'll complain about any little thing to get a free cake! icon_wink.gif

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 13

I would reimburse for the tags, and perhaps a wee bit more. Since it's just $7 she may not care (I wouldn't fret the issue of collecting $7 if my name was spelled incorrectly). It's a shame, but you know, I had to read your post several times to figure out the differences in the two names. Easy mistake.

mcassada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcassada Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 13

I like the idea of a card and a little something to say you are sorry...

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 13

Ugggg! That would make me crazy! I would offer her a refund or a $7 credit for her next order. Its just $7, she'll probably turn it down-- but it least it would show that you were bothered by the mistake.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 13

Well having grown up with a "unique" name myself, I would not worry about reimbursing her any money. Anyone who has had one of those "unique" names know that not everything is going to be spelled right and its just something you learn to laugh off icon_biggrin.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 13

lol, too funny. I have a 4 letter name and EVERYONE including the Goverment adds the "i" to my name!

I get trully pissed at times, but as I've gotten older I've mellowed out.

It would be a very nice gesture on your part to send her like 7 dollars worth of cookies and they can be simply decorated...Maybe just enough cookies to spell out her name in a cookie bunch..lol

That would be so nice, especially if she liked her cookies.

Just a thought

but easier would be 7.00 off on her next order!

saltystella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saltystella Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks for all the advice everyone! She had expressed interest in another cookie order for the rehearsal dinner (that is if she's still talking to me!). I'll send her a heartfelt apology and a credit for more than the $7.00 on any future order. I hope that helps!

Thanks again everyone!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 13

I grew up with the name Dara - no one ever got it right, my last name was differently spelled as well. Then I married into an even stranger last name. I have long since given up on it ever being right.
I do think that even if you are used to it being misspelled, you still should be credited back if you paid to have it spelled correctly. I don't think it would open a door to everyone wanting refunds, just refunds for mispelling. Unless you wrote it out, and the approved the copy.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 10:14pm
post #13 of 13

I agree with Dara, I think that the right thing to do would be to refund for your mistake. But I also think that one can apologize too much. I would send her a nice note with maybe one or two cookies ( a flower or something) and in the note that say thanks for the order, and you hope to do business with her again. Also, just mention how you feel bad for your mistake, are grateful for her understanding, are wanting to discount that amount the next time she places the order. If anything, she tell her friends how you made an effort to "fix" your mistake, not how you were quick to refund the money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%