New And Scared!

Decorating By angelas2babies Updated 22 Jan 2006 , 4:24am by angelas2babies

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 12:56am
post #1 of 28

I just found this website the other day as someone suggested it for cake ideas. My daughter's first birthday is approaching in February and I was looking for ideas for a cake...I'm doing the Hungry Caterpillar for a theme and wanted a simple cake with some kind of butterfly motif. I have spent hours looking through all the cakes in the gallery and am...just stunned at how creative and talented everyone is!

I am also inspired. I have made simple cakes before (badly frosted) and last year I helped make a cake for my Goddaughter's birthday (Dora character pan) and...it was hard!! We sat there with frosting and an arsenal of supplies and just laughed hysterically. Three hours later Dora was ready...and she looked a bit drunk. But we were proud.

I was just wondering, if anyone had a few suggestions on supplies. I literally don't have anything except for a few baking pans and springforms. (I make a good cheesecake at least!)
What do I need and what do you all out there prefer as far as decorating supplies?
What kind of frosting is easy to spread? (Not ready for fondant yet)
How do I spread it?
Do I need to take classes?
Do I need books?
A miracle?

I'm sorry....Obviously I need some serious help. Thank you in advance!!

27 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:28am
post #2 of 28

I would suggest that you buy a beginner tip kit and bags as that is mostly what you will need.Also invest in a recent 2006 Wilton yearbook for great tips,ideas and recipes. the Buttercream recipe is quite good and easy to work with.Try making another character cake and use the STAR method other than say icing it.You can take the Wilton classes offered at most Hobby Lobby's or Michael's craftstore if you feel it is something you want to pursue and continue.You will really enjoy it!!! I use all brands of supplies and shop online for harder stuff to find!!

Welcome to CC!!!!!

Laurelicon_smile.gif

Candygram Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candygram Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:35am
post #3 of 28

This is more along the caterpillar theme but I did these cakes for my twin neice and nephew. They are SUPER easy. If you are just starting out you CANNOT fail with these. And people loved them. You can do the letters much less complicated also. Just print out any cute font you want onto colored card stock, cut them out and attach to toothpicks or lollipop sticks.
LL
LL

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:36am
post #4 of 28

if you're near a place that gives wilton $25 and fun. i use disposable bags. maybe buy one of wilton's course books if you don't want to take the class, there about $5 and helpful. i think the easiest recipe to start with is a basic buttercream. we did butterflies in our wilton class using colorflow, which isn't hard to make, draw butterfly wings individually, not connected, and fill it in with colorflow. i would look on line for tutorials for colorflow or buy the wilton class books even if you don;t take the classes i'm not good at explaining things in print. the student kits at michaels, joanns, etc are a pretty good deal if you use a 40-50% off coupon, then they're about 12-15 dollars and they come with various tips,etc. this might sound crazy, but if you ever shop at antique malls, look for old cake decorating books, i think the older ones are great at explaining things. hope this gives you a start

angelas2babies Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:52am
post #5 of 28

Thank you for all the replies and kind encouragement. I am always at JoAnn's and Michael's so I'm glad that they have so many supplies and coupons available. I will definitely check into classes, because I think that this is something that I want to continue with.

So, I like the idea of disposable bags because cleaning frosting is a nightmare icon_smile.gif I will try the recipe.

Also, I have seen the caterpillar cake on this site and thought it was really cute, too. I am indecisive about which cake to make...it's a Libra thing, I think. LOL.

Thank you again for all of the advice. I want to post a picture of the cake I want to try as soon as I pick one...I don't want to try anything too outrageous, so I thought I'd ask you all what I might need to make it, or if honestly I should attempt it.

Good Night.
Angie

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:01am
post #6 of 28

Welcome to CC and the Wilton is a great way to start. Your teacher should be able to direct you as far as what basic tools you will need. The kits that come in the plastic totes are great because you will have a place to keep your tools and take them to class in if you go that direction. The yearbooks are great! So much info and then try to get them each year. They always have new techniques and ideas each year. Another great way to get ideas and they tell you what you will need to do the cakes. Have fun and you will do great! auntiecake

maxiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxiecakes Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 28

Welcome toCC the land of endless knowledge!
Y ou will really love it here and you will learn so much ! And since there is no such thing as a silly question, It's a great place to ask any question and be asured you will get a straight answer .

BellaRosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRosa Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 28

Welcome to CC Angie! If you want to do butterflies, you could get the butterfly shaped pan at Michael's. Definitely use the star tip (16, 17, 1icon_cool.gif. Your hand will be sore at the end if you are not used to piping all those small stars, but it is MUCH EASIER than icing those darn things. lol

If you want to get into cake decorating on a more steady basis, get a cake turntable. I have the least expensive one from Michael's and can't live w/o it. definitely makes things easier.

Bella Rosa

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 28

You beat me to it BellaRosa-I was going to suggest the butterfly pan!! I think it is adorable and would be a great beginner cake. I would even try to use a #18 tip-it's a bit bigger than the #17 but it will fill your space and make a bit of a bold statement-which could be very pretty with the butterfly and all her colors! It also makes a pretty shell border around the base.

I also like the disposable bags and couplers. That way if you want to use the same color but change the tip it is very easy to do with a coupler in the bag. I bought my turntable at Wal-mart and it was cheaper than Micheal's by a couple of dollars.

You might try this recipe for your buttercream:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/bcream.cfm

This is a good beginneer recipe but I would only use butter (don't use margarine) and you can use regular vanilla-it won't change the color that much. I also like to use heavy cream instead of the milk but regular milk is fine too!
Can't wait to see your pictures!!

icon_smile.gif

BellaRosa Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 28

GMTA Dodibug! lol I adore my butterfly pan. My daughter wanted it for an art project at school so I bought it with my lovely coupons. She used colored candy melts to make the deisgn, flipped it out onto the iced cake, and used that for her project. I couldn't believe how well it came out. I use it all the tie now. I especially like to cut it in half & stick a dowel through it to look as if the butterfly is flying.

BellaRosa

dodibug Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 28

I am going to have to go back to Micheal's and get that one! They are on sale at my Micheal's for $7 this week!!!!

angelas2babies Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 28

You guys are amazing!! Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll be going to Micheal's tomorrow. Thank you for the frosting recipes. Can I use any type of food coloring do you think to color the frosting? Thank you to all. Your faith alone is making me want to do a good job.

Angie

BellaRosa Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 28

For icing you want to use the paste/gel colors like Wilton, Americolor, etc. Stay away from liquid colors as they can make your icing runny & the color will not be dispersed evenly.

Bellarosa

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 28

If you are looking for a good book and have a Borders near, look for The Essential Guide to Cake Decorating. It's a Borders Exclusive book and although at borders.com it is going for $40, I got it at the store for $9.99 (it wasn't on sale, so I'm not sure why it's so much online.) It is a fabulous book! I have several cake decorating books, icluding the Wilton ones, and this book is the best.

angelas2babies Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 10:00pm
post #15 of 28

Thank you again. No runny dye. Got it. I do have a Borders and Barnes and Noble (literally stores away from each other...so as a result they both have great competitive prices icon_smile.gif

I will have to look into it. I just found my Michael's coupon, too. I am getting all excited!!!

Angie

dodibug Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 10:12pm
post #16 of 28

I have to vote for Americolors, they are awesome-a little goes a long way. Since i discovered them-no more Wilton colors. Only downside is you have to find them at a cake supply store or on-line usually.

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 10:13pm
post #17 of 28

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!!! You will learn alot on this site and I am sure be able to teach others! The site is a freeforall when it comes to talent, ideas, thoughts, questions etc! Being a Libra myself, I can relate to decisions-wanting to balance the moment so to speak. And the pride you will have with doing the cake is wonderful! Feel free to jump in on the forum anytime!!!

chellebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebelle Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 10:23pm
post #18 of 28

Basic tips and the Wilton Yearbook are both good recomendations. You could see if you can take Wilton course 1 at a local arts and crafts store.

I did the caterpillar cake for my b/g twins when they turned one this past July.

Good luck
Chelle

auntiecake Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 11:24pm
post #19 of 28

You can use margarine but only certain kinds work. Most have too much liquid beat into them expecially the whipped soft margarines. Imperial, Blue Bonnet and Fleschmans work well. These are the only ones I know of that work well for frosting and baking besides butter. Sounds like you are on your way and have fun! anutiecake

auntiecake Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 11:27pm
post #20 of 28

chellebelle
I love that caterpillar! I did one for a friends baby shower. It was fun to make and not difficult just a lot of stars. You did a great job. auntiecake

angelas2babies Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 11:33pm
post #21 of 28

Chelle,

I love your caterpillar. Now I'm wondering if I should do a caterpillar for her big cake and do a butterfly cake as a smash cake.

More to ponder.

Thanks to all!!
Angie

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 11:54pm
post #22 of 28

The great thing about the catapiller cake is that you can do it in different flavors! I love making them-so many variations. You can use those spiced drops for feet, m&m's for eyes, etc.

angelas2babies Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 7:41pm
post #23 of 28

I just wanted everyone to know that I am starting my Wilton classes in a few weeks...missed the ones that started in January, and I'm excited. Thank you all for your tips. I'm going to try the frosting and practice on a small cake just to taste it.

Thanks to all.
Angie

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 8:01pm
post #24 of 28

Good Luck on your classes. I wish I could take them but unfortunatley my schedule doesn't allow it. icon_sad.gif You'll see that the best teachers are right here on this site. Everything I've learned I truly have learned here. thumbs_up.gif

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 8:13pm
post #25 of 28

If you don't want to buy a butterfly pan, a simple way to make a butterfly cake is to bake a 9-inch round, cut it in half, and put the halves curved sides in with a Twinkie in between for a body. Ice it any way you like (including the twinkie!) and use licorice strings for the feelers.

Here's one I did for my daughter's first birthday 6 years ago. I'm a little embarassed to post this picture, as it is one of the first cakes I ever decorated, but I'll swallow my pride in case the pic is helpful to you! The antenna are there--they just didn't show up in the photo.
LL

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 8:15pm
post #26 of 28

You could make a butterfly smash cake from a 6-inch round. It would be very cute, I think!

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 8:23pm
post #27 of 28

Angie

You are really going to enjoy the Wilton classes. I started them in November on a whim. It was a good reason for my friend and I to get out of the house for an evening, and do something together. I am now obsessed with cake decorating. icon_biggrin.gif But as far as I can see, by some of the posts that I have read, it is easy to do (get obsessed I mean, not decorate.)

You'll get a lot of good pointers out of the courses. And its good to get out of the house without the kiddos. thumbs_up.gif

If you look at my pics, these sare the cakes that you will make in class. Haven't had the chance to make any others yet, but I am itching to. i am working on Course II right now, and find myself making LOTS of flowers, the cake is coming soon.

angelas2babies Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 4:24am
post #28 of 28

Holly,

That is a great idea. I think your butterfly cake is very cute.

I was at Michael's tonight looking through the Wilton books...bought one on decorating and have been reading it. The instructions are great. And all their cake pans were on sale for $7.00, but I decided to do some more hunting before I decide. I was wondering if I should make a round cake and decorate it with smaller butterflies? I still can't believe how quickly I got into this...I'm lucky that Michael's is pretty much up the street from me. My classes won't be done before my daughter's first birthday, though, but that's okay. Thank you again for all the encouragement. I was dreaming of cakes last night..lol.

Angie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%