Cake Board Question

Decorating By Mandica12182 Updated 6 Mar 2007 , 2:17am by Michelle104

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:42am
post #1 of 11

Okay....I am trying to think of inexpensive idea's for covering cake boards...so that I don't feel soo attached to them that I want them all back....I always ask for my drums back. But, you know when I just stack a few cardboards together...how do you all make them look nice?

I've seen where people use wrapping paper and then cover them in clear contact paper........or there's that foil like the drums are already covered in but....IMO that stuff is kind of expensive...at least at the cake decorating store I go to it is....like $11 a roll!! icon_eek.gif

Anyway, just wondered if anyone else had any cheap ideas that they use?

And.....if I were to go to Wal Mart....what department would I find the clear contact paper at anyway??? icon_redface.gif I just can't seem to find it anywhere!!

Thank You in Advance!!

10 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 6:19am
post #2 of 11

I use the Renyold's Freezer Paper, shiny side up. It comes in white so it matches all cakes. It is also a very big roll and lasts me a very long time. icon_smile.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 6:24am
post #3 of 11

Oh the freezer paper is a good idea!! I haven't covered alot yet but I have several rolls of wrapping paper with diff themes, like to match the occasion, then I do cover with the clear contact paper. Look in the housewares section at walmart by the shelf liner paper or that rubery stuff that helps things not to slide. The brand I have is CK and there's a grid on the back to use as a cutting guide.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 11

Hey..
I love using the styrofoam squares or circles you can get at the craft store. I just did one yesterday, the Yankees cake in my gallery. I'll try to break down the price for you..
The styrofoam square is 12" x 12" and was $2.37. Its not the flimsy styrofoam that breaks apart..its the really strong stuff. I left it covered in the plastic it came in. I topped it with a baseball-themed piece of scrapbook paper that was $.59. I wrapped the whole thing in cellophane (don't know what I paid for that, I usually have a roll hanging around in my house). Edged the board in ribbon that I purchased for $3.99, but used only a small amount of it.
The cake itself is sitting on a cake board so doesn't come in direct contact with the cellophane, although I don't think it would be a major problem if it did.
All in all, not a very expensive proposition. I love using the scrapbook paper because you can find so many different themes/colors. Also, you can buy the styrofoam in bigger blocks and cut it to the size you need. I haven't done this myself, but I've seen the big sheets at the craft store.

Hope that helps,
Cindy

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 11

I use scrapbooking paper (bought in blocks of 360 sheets 12X12 for 17$CDN at Costco) and contact paper bought at the discount store at 2$CDN/roll, it covers at least two cake boards with one roll, sometimes more, depends on the size I need.

HTH

cookiecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecreations Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 11

cindww I saw your yankees cake and it's awesome. The cake board looks fantastic too!!! I'm going to try the styrofoam squares and the scrap book paper. Thanks for posting this!

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:23am
post #7 of 11

Okay yall.....thanks soo much for this info....love the freezer paper idea!! And thanks to Michelle104 for telling me where the contact paper was...I was really lost at the store the other day!! LOL

These are all really great ideas!!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 11

I've been thinking about stocking up on plastic tablecloths from the party store (or better yet...dollar store) so I'd have a variety of colorful choices and not be out a lot of money. You could do a whole lot of cake boards with one tablecloth.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 11

I use wrapping paper most of the time and use the clear cello wrap (like for easter baskets, candy bags, etc) to cover it. Works great. I usually can find both at dollar stores (esp at Easter time).

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 11

sometimes the local fabric store has sales. I found a clingy material that drapes pefect around cardboard. Don't ask what it is ...I don't know. Never found it again lol.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:17am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

sometimes the local fabric store has sales. I found a clingy material that drapes pefect around cardboard. Don't ask what it is ...I don't know. Never found it again lol.

Well silly.....that's just a big giant tease!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif Now if you ever find it again or figure out the name you have to post a special thread on it. Promise????? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%