Are People Really This Stupid?

Decorating By Candy120 Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 6:20pm by Hawkette

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #451 of 539

I just had a baby four weeks ago, but a few days before I had her, I had the following conversation with an older man at church. Now granted, I was ready to have this baby ANY TIME NOW, and was a little irritable, as pregnant women with a 4 and a 2 year old are wont to be... icon_lol.gif

Old Guy: You haven't had that baby yet?!?
Me: Um, OBVIOUSLY... (I knew he'd either get that I was being sarcastic and would laugh, or wouldn't get it and I'd have still gotten it off my chest. People asked me this a lot.)
OG: Well, can't you just push or something, and get it to come faster?
Me: NO, that would make things WORSE.
OG: Isn't there some kind of pill or something you can take to speed things up?
Me: No.
OG: Well, then you should just go in and get a C-section!

icon_eek.gif

Me: NO, I'm NOT doing that if I don't have to... The recovery takes longer, and it's more painful.
OG: Well, don't they give you anesthesia?

icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

Me: The *RECOVERY* takes longer and is more painful...

I'm not sure if he ever quite understood, but it's brought giggles to my family, anyway! icon_lol.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #452 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymindysue

My husband is a crew chief in the AF. I can't remember if they pulled this on him and he didn't bite, or he got lucky and someone forgot. A common joke to play on new crew chiefs is to ask them to go get the keys for the jet. One guy spent almost an hour looking for said keys before someone filled him in. This was after 6 months of training in which they take numerous tests on how to trouble shoot and fix these planes and there is no mention of a key.

Haha! When I worked at a pizza place we used to send the newbies to our other branch in the same city for all kinds of things....Dough patch kits, aluminum magnets...they'd get to the other store and they'd just ask, "You're the new guy, huh?"

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:05pm
post #453 of 539

geesh just tell that guy to go in the bathroom sit down and start pushing.. if he says "i don't have to go to the bathroom yet" just tell him well.. just keep pushing.. wont that get things started?

(bad comparison but closest thing a man can do in that dept lol)

jelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelmom Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:17am
post #454 of 539

These are too funny. I have to tell on my best friend.
We were in high school and were out riding by the houses of boys we had crushes on. Well this particular guy's driveway cut through his yard. As we pass she realizes he is outside and yells "Roll up the windows. I don't want him to see me."
I could tell stories on her all night. We still tell her to roll up the windows so people won't see her.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:58am
post #455 of 539

I just thought of one on myself. I was at a restaurant with my DD who is 3 and she said she needed to potty. So I take her to the potty get her on the seat and she says she doesn't have to go. I take her down and decide I need to potty and maybe she could try again after me, so I go, pull up my pants, wash my hands, wash her hands, open the door to walk out, and instruct her to go out first. For some reason she was walking funny and as she stepped into the hallway I realized her panties were still around her ankles. Oops! Funny thing...a couple weeks later my DH did the same thing except this time DD stops him in the hall and says. "Dada can we pull my panties up first?".

Another funny. My dh's co-worker (a teacher) who teaches in a portable classroom has a student tell him that having a fire extinguisher in the classroom is a fire hazard. So the teacher takes the extinguisher outside by the front door and wouldn't you know it someone stole the extinguisher. He then tells this story to the principals who already think he's an idiot and they had to explain to him that the kid was pulling his leg. icon_rolleyes.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:32pm
post #456 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

I just thought of one on myself. I was at a restaurant with my DD who is 3 and she said she needed to potty. So I take her to the potty get her on the seat and she says she doesn't have to go. I take her down and decide I need to potty and maybe she could try again after me, so I go, pull up my pants, wash my hands, wash her hands, open the door to walk out, and instruct her to go out first. For some reason she was walking funny and as she stepped into the hallway I realized her panties were still around her ankles. Oops! Funny thing...a couple weeks later my DH did the same thing except this time DD stops him in the hall and says. "Dada can we pull my panties up first?".

Another funny. My dh's co-worker (a teacher) who teaches in a portable classroom has a student tell him that having a fire extinguisher in the classroom is a fire hazard. So the teacher takes the extinguisher outside by the front door and wouldn't you know it someone stole the extinguisher. He then tells this story to the principals who already think he's an idiot and they had to explain to him that the kid was pulling his leg. icon_rolleyes.gif

Now there's a teacher I DON'T want my kids to get! icon_lol.gif

kimmypooh79 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:11pm
post #457 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Now there's a teacher I DON'T want my kids to get! icon_lol.gif[/quote]

I know right...it's scary some of the dumb bunnies we have teaching our kids. My DH is book smart and is IMO one of the best English teachers in his dept but if he had to teach a class on common sense those kids would fail miserably.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:25pm
post #458 of 539

I respect teachers to the fullest, but one of my mottos is to never speak about something unless you're absolutely sure what you're saying is correct.

I was teaching the daughter of my good friend how to make American buttercream. I told her she needed to use X amount of crisco vegetable shortening and blah, blah, blah. She said, "but I'm doing this vegetarian thing and my culinary arts teacher said that has animal fat in it!". I stared her for about ten seconds speechless. I began to shift my eyes from hers to the can of shortening hoping she'd get the hint to actually read it, she never did. So I picked up the can and read (enunciating very well), "Crisco ALL-VEGETABLE shortening".
Finally she looked at me and said, "Oh! So she lied?" Now that I think about it, I don't know who was worse, the teacher who said that or the students who believed her inspite of having the can right in front of them.

CakeMakar Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #459 of 539

Haha. Tita9499, my good friend does the SAME thing! I don't know if it has to do with her being raised in Africa so there's a bit of a culture barrier there - but everytime she orders from me she tells me not to use the Crisco. I ask her why, she says she's a vegetarian.....I just look at her. I tell her, "You do know its vegetable shortening?"
"Yes, it's got animal fat."
"No, hon, its not lard."

We seriously have this conversation 4 times a year.

Tita9499 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:49pm
post #460 of 539

Cake maker:

How funny is it that they're adamant that they're correct? I mean I find it funny when people argue that I'm wrong and I do this for a living!
Especially my DH (who by profession is a Medical Laboratory Technician in the Army), he'll try to "drop some knowledge" about something cooking or baking related like when he tried to make a birthday cake for me about 3 years ago. He didn't check to see if had everything he needed to make the box cake and realized we didn't have any vegetable oil. I told him he could substitute mayonnaise since it's mostly oil anyway, he looked at me like I slapped his mother! He told me, "whaddya tryin' to do, make it taste like a sandwich? I don't want to use it cause it'll taste nasty!" I looked at him like, "Uh huh, and did they teach you that in lab school?" I told him to humor me and try it.
When he tasted the cake and realized he couldn't tell the difference, he said, "Man! I sure make a mean cake!" he couldn't look me in the eye for weeks though!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:05pm
post #461 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Okay, so when my twins were newborns, I had what seemed like a 1,001 people come up to me and ask me some of the strangest things.

Here are some examples from my own experience:

"Twins, huh? Are you going to try for triplets next?"

"Do they poop at the same time?"

"If I pinch one of them, will the other one cry, too?"

It's been a long time since my twins were little, so we don't get the questions and comments anymore. Still some interesting experiences, though. Like when one of Ross's teachers was miffed that he never acknowledged her greetings to him in the halls. She didn't realize Ross had an identical twin and that she'd been saying hi to Jake, who had no idea who she was. It all became clear at parent/teacher conferences when they were both with us.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #462 of 539

Here's a new one...I dropped some dummy cakes off at a local party rental place today. They use them to decorate the showroom when they set up displays of table settings, etc. So the woman who worked there told me that she has to keep the knife and cake servers across the room from the fake cakes, because people are always coming in and trying to cut themselves a piece off of the fake cakes! That's not only dumb, that's nervy...Would any of you walk into a store, see a large UNCUT cake, and try to cut yourself off a piece? I guess they're attracted to the "dummy" cakes because they recognize themselves in them, ha ha!

CakeMakar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #463 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Quote:

Okay, so when my twins were newborns, I had what seemed like a 1,001 people come up to me and ask me some of the strangest things.

Here are some examples from my own experience:

"Twins, huh? Are you going to try for triplets next?"

"Do they poop at the same time?"

"If I pinch one of them, will the other one cry, too?"

It's been a long time since my twins were little, so we don't get the questions and comments anymore. Still some interesting experiences, though. Like when one of Ross's teachers was miffed that he never acknowledged her greetings to him in the halls. She didn't realize Ross had an identical twin and that she'd been saying hi to Jake, who had no idea who she was. It all became clear at parent/teacher conferences when they were both with us.

Two of the moms in our mom's group have twins. (One was triplets until she lost one.) Both sets are identical. They both say the most shocking (yet common) question they get asked is, "How did you have them?" They respond "like any other baby is born"...then the people continue, "No, I mean, you had fertility drugs?!" or they want to know, "Did you have to have a C-section?" The nerve of some people...I couldn't imagine!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:01pm
post #464 of 539

one on my husband:

we've just sold our home and moved a few miles away; we have become friendly with the people who purchased our home from us. the other day, my husband asked if i knew their address....ughmmmmmmmm, yeah?!

Tita9499 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #465 of 539

I think the one about the people cutting the fake cakes is too hilarious for words.
Why is it that our husbands give us the best material for these things...do you think they talk about us on their forums? Hmmmm...
I think every mother can relate to the irritation of random strangers coming up to you while you're pregnant and touching your belly without asking permission. Now they come up to my daughter who has SUPER curly hair and just rub on her head... I'm like, what are you touching my baby for?

keljo05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keljo05 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:25pm
post #466 of 539

Oh I have a great story, just not cake related. I have chinchillas and have been trying to rehome several of them since spring (anyone looking for a chinchilla? lol) I ended up putting an add in the paper and got a couple of calls like this:

caller: "Hi, I'm calling about the chihuahua"

Me: "I'm sorry but it's not a chihuahua.. it's chinchillas"

C: "Oh, so it's sold already"

M: "no, it's not a dog"

C: "oh its a puppy?!"

M: "no it's a small rodent from the Andes mountain region"

C: "oh..uhmmmmm...can you tell me what breed it is and where it originates from"

M: "it's a small furry rodent from the Andes mountain region of south america"

C: "oh, uhmmm thank you very much"

I don't think they still grasp that it's not a dog.

GenGen Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:35pm
post #467 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by keljo05

Oh I have a great story, just not cake related. I have chinchillas and have been trying to rehome several of them since spring (anyone looking for a chinchilla? lol) I ended up putting an add in the paper and got a couple of calls like this:

caller: "Hi, I'm calling about the chihuahua"

Me: "I'm sorry but it's not a chihuahua.. it's chinchillas"

C: "Oh, so it's sold already"

M: "no, it's not a dog"

C: "oh its a puppy?!"

M: "no it's a small rodent from the Andes mountain region"

C: "oh..uhmmmmm...can you tell me what breed it is and where it originates from"

M: "it's a small furry rodent from the Andes mountain region of south america"

C: "oh, uhmmm thank you very much"

I don't think they still grasp that it's not a dog.

lol sad but i believe it!

shannon0407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon0407 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:42pm
post #468 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymindysue

My husband is a crew chief in the AF. I can't remember if they pulled this on him and he didn't bite, or he got lucky and someone forgot. A common joke to play on new crew chiefs is to ask them to go get the keys for the jet. One guy spent almost an hour looking for said keys before someone filled him in. This was after 6 months of training in which they take numerous tests on how to trouble shoot and fix these planes and there is no mention of a key.

Haha! When I worked at a pizza place we used to send the newbies to our other branch in the same city for all kinds of things....Dough patch kits, aluminum magnets...they'd get to the other store and they'd just ask, "You're the new guy, huh?"

Haha! That is funny. I was a medic in the AF and had lots of crew chief friends ( married one too ) anyways my favorite one they would pull on the new guys was to send them to the shop for 50ft of fallopian tube!

GenGen Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #469 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

one on my husband:

we've just sold our home and moved a few miles away; we have become friendly with the people who purchased our home from us. the other day, my husband asked if i knew their address....ughmmmmmmmm, yeah?!

lol when i moved in to the house before this one, i can't remember how long i was there when i had to call my mom and ask her for MY phone #..

i said hey its not like i call myself alot ya know lol.....

(we had just gotten it and i hadn't had it memorized yet lol)

LSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #470 of 539

I work at BJ's in the bakery and twice a week we have to bring our frozen food pallets up to our bakery freezer. So I'm dressed in a heavy winter coat and gloves ( in the middle of summer) and wearing a BJ's hat and name badge. I'm pulling a pallet out of the freezer on a pallet jack when a customer looking for something stops me and says "Do you work here"?
Or the lady who comes to pick up her cake and tells us she ordered at the bakery but she's unsure where to pick it up. One girl told her cake pickups are in the tire department and off she goes to tires to pick up her cake!
Or our fresh bagels with a large sign stating they can only be purchased in a 9 pack. Her question to me was how much will one cost? DUH!
Or the best one yet is the customer who comes to the bakery and asks if we sell bread! I'm still waiting for someone to jump out and say smile you're on candid camera!

dedra_w_1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dedra_w_1980 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:47pm
post #471 of 539

I have a good one.. I work at a local doctors office. Bring the patient back get vitals ask why he's here and ask what kind of medications he's taking. His response "The Little White One!!!" OMFG. are you serious???

Here's another one

Lady comes in for a yearly pap... work her up give her drapes to cover up with...tell her to get undressed...in comes the doctor to do the pap....Put her in the stir-ups only to discover she has left her panties on. OMG...

and another one

I pulled a chart due to patient calling asking for a refill on his medication. I asked him which one. He didnt know the name of the pill. Says it was the only medication he was taking. So I go to pull his chart to see if there was only one medication listed in his chart. There was but guess what the dumb nurse put "little white pill" are you really serious??? a nurse really put that in someones chart, and this lady actually gives people shots and medications. OMG... So i go and confront the nurse who did it yes she still works there and she said well we didnt know what it was and he didnt know where he got it from. Hello, cant you call his wife or someone who knows the name of the "little white pill" that he's taking.

Thats all for now....will probably think of more later....
icon_razz.gif

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:08am
post #472 of 539

Okay, that makes my head hurt just thinking about that second lady....uggg!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:44am
post #473 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My very first bride wanted her 3-tiered wedding cake "pre-cut". Even way back then, when I knew nothing, I knew THAT wasn't going to work!

I know I'm WAY late on reading these, BUT

Debi you're killing me!!! OMG I haven't laughed this hard in a long time ! I think my laughing fit just woke up my husband who's upstairs ~ Whoops!

THANKS FOR THE LAUGH, I desperately needed that !!!! icon_lol.gif

avgsuperheroine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avgsuperheroine Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:52am
post #474 of 539

How come I only run accross these threads when I should have been in bed a half an hour ago? These are hillarious.

I'm a costumer and I have a story. We had high schoolers come in for a school project and we have an unstated rule that we encourage them to do the research part on their own (we know teachers don't care if they spend money, they want the kids to learn something).

So two girls and two guys come in and want "Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr". We say ok, what time period did they live in? "um, like colonial or medieval or something?" Close, but which one? "Um, like, I don't know...does it really matter?". Well, yes. It's the difference between men wearing a dress or pants--fashion changed somewhat in those 400 years.

I had another girl who came in in Super wide flare leg jeans with sequins on them and asked us if we had any bellbottoms she could rent.

And my favorite top reasons that people couldn't return their Halloween costume on time:
1. I can't get up your stairs to return my costume because I shot myself in the foot.
2. I lost my hat in jail.
3. I have most of the costume, but the pants are somewhere in Minneapolis...I think.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:43am
post #475 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

Old Guy: You haven't had that baby yet?!?

I was overdue with all my kids, and my inlaws would phone every day or two and when I answered, they'd ask if I'd had the baby yet. One time I just said yes, I had the baby and I'm already home from the hospital and we were just keeping it a secret from you.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:50am
post #476 of 539

duplicate post

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:52am
post #477 of 539

OK all these customer stories I have a few to add a few more of my home shopping channel customer remarks. I work taking sales calls for people wanting to place orders and I could write a book on all the things I hear these customers ask! I get a LOT of calls when we have a faux leather coats the customers will pronounce it "fox" leather and it is like $39.99 then midway through they ask if it is real and when I tell them no it is manmade they get upset? ok it is $40 NO it isn't REAL!

Same thing with our diamonds, we sell 3 carat CZ rings for like $35 they ask if it is a real diamond .... NO!!!! and of course again get angry because they thought they just stumbled across the deal of the century!

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:59am
post #478 of 539

Hah! This thread is great. When it's not midnight on a night I have to get up in 5 hours, I'll have to read the whole thing. Here's my contribution, though:

My husband is a doctor. He told me about a lady who ended up giving birth in the ambulance and was upset when she arrived at the hospital and found that the paramedics had already named her daughter. She decided it was a rather pretty name, though, and kept it.

Curious as to why a paramedic would name the child, the doctor asked a few more questions. It turns out that the bassinet the child was in was labeled "Female." The woman thought it was pronounced, "Fe-MAH-lee." Can you imagine going through life saying, "Yes, ma'am, I'm Female Jones."

Paramedics have apparently been known to pull a few pranks on those who fit into this thread's topic, suggesting exotic names they've never heard of before, like gonorrhea and syphilis. :O

betnee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
betnee Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:14am
post #479 of 539

These are hillarious!!!
I made a dumb dumb mistake at work also one time...we were discussing a fundraiser and the boss suggested a pie throwing...I asked who was gonna have to bake all the pies for it? Didn't realize until then that it was not actual pies, just whipped topping.

Also, last year at Thanksgiving, Grandma was panicking...the turkey did not say how many lbs. it was on pkg. so didn't know how long it was too cook for. finally someone told her to weigh it on bathroom scales.

kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:26am
post #480 of 539
Quote:

Why is it that our husbands give us the best material for these things...do you think they talk about us on their forums?

I don't think that our husbands have enough material on us to have a conversation about it.

Another DH stupid human moment. FYI... DH is a teacher M-F and works a 2nd job on Saturdays.
Like a lot of cell phones his has an alarm that he uses instead of an alarm clock. Well, he comes home from work one Friday and we're chillin on the couch when his cell phone alarm goes off.

ME: What did you set your alarm for?
DH: I set it as a reminder.
ME: A reminder to do what?
DH: To set my alarm to wake me up for work tomorrow.
ME: icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif
DH: What?
ME: You set an alarm to remind you to set an alarm? icon_lol.gif
DH: Yeah. icon_confused.gif .........Oh.
ME: ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif
DH: I guess I could have just set the wake up alarm in the first place. icon_redface.gif
ME: Ya think? icon_lol.gif

And.....he is notorious for putting DD's clothes on backwards or inside out, shoes on the wrong feet but one day when we were leaving I looked at her feet, back to him, back to her feet and he says, "What? I put them on the right feet, I even checked to make sure." DH walks over to her looking and confirming that they were on the right feet and I say, "Yeah they are on the right feet but look closer." He bends down to examine them closer but still can't understand what the problem is. OMG.... icon_rolleyes.gif "Michael," I say, "they're 2 different shoes.".

I just have to repeat to myself......"For better or worse Kim....for better or worse." No, I really do love him. Plus there's never a dull moment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%