Tiered Cake

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 4 Apr 2005 , 8:45pm by cakeconfections

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 2:51am
post #1 of 15

Ok, i have a question, if i am going to make a stacking tiered cake.. maybe 3 layers.. how do i get it to my destination. gosh, knowing me, i would have staked them and decorated them befoe even thinking to ask this question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_redface.gif

14 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 3:57am
post #2 of 15

I just answered this question for someone else LOL~ It is easyto do!!!!

You should transported it in layers & assembly the cake at the place where the event is taking place.

Use rubber shelf liner (sold at Walmart or any Dollar Store) underneath your cake & put the cake in a box that's a little larger then your cake so you can get your hands in the box to get the cake out.

Then you put the shelf liner underneath the box. It will not budge unless (God forbid) you have to slam on your breaks.

This should help you unless you already have it stacked. Kate says you can transfer stacked cakes. I wouldn't do it if it was a big one. Too scared!!

Lots of luck, ~TC~

momof3jotynjake Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 4:15am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I just answered this question for someone else LOL~ It is easyto do!!!!

You should transported it in layers & assembly the cake at the place where the event is taking place.

Use rubber shelf liner (sold at Walmart or any Dollar Store) underneath your cake & put the cake in a box that's a little larger then your cake so you can get your hands in the box to get the cake out.

Then you put the shelf liner underneath the box. It will not budge unless (God forbid) you have to slam on your breaks.

This should help you unless you already have it stacked. Kate says you can transfer stacked cakes. I wouldn't do it if it was a big one. Too scared!!

Lots of luck, ~TC~

LOL! that is soo funny! i was just getting ready to print your instructions you listed on the other post! LOL!
thanks, that is great help! now, when i stack them,, do i have to put somethign under each tier? or just put in on top of eachother?
also, do i have to take like the coupler or anythign with me???
gosh, im nervous this is my 1st order and its for a 50th anniversarY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for your help!
oh and when you transport your cakes, do you put them on the back seat floor?

tcturtleshell Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 4:25am
post #4 of 15

Hey, that is funny~

Yes, you do need to put cake boards underneath each cake. Double them if necessary. They need to be smaller then the cake so they don't show.

You also need to use dowel rods. They help each layer of the cake from falling into the lower layer of cake. There is a tutorial on cake central. Just look it up under tutorials. I don't know how to add things into my posts yet sorry.

I would take extra icing, bags, couplers, tips, spatuala's large & small. I think I got everything. Oh, camera. If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Never put a cake in the seat of your car. Always put it on the floor. I have a van so I took out the back seat & that gave me plenty of room to transport cakes. I leave the seat out so I don't have to keep messing w/ it everytime I have a cake to deliver.

Your welcome! If you need anymore help just let me know. I'm willing & able till I head off to bed.
~TC~

tcturtleshell Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 4:27am
post #5 of 15

I forgot... wrap your boards in thin tinfoil. If you don't the board will get greasy & the cakes might lean into the board or it might get unbalanced.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 9:51am
post #6 of 15

So far I havent had to do a tiered cake, but if and when I do how would you all recommend I do this in the back of a 2002 Chevy Silverado, with rhino lining? We only have one vehicle right now, and once back in the states hopefully we will get another, but if I were to deliver a tiered cake I would most definately do in unlayered, but I had to do a full sheet cake here for the boy scouts...it is posted...and I had to ask the people to come and get it, because at the time our truck was being serviced...but I dont know how I would have done it...yes it would fit for sure...but slide all over because of the rhino lining in the bed of the truck... how do you pad or stop it from moving?

momof3jotynjake Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:

Hey, that is funny~

Yes, you do need to put cake boards underneath each cake. Double them if necessary. They need to be smaller then the cake so they don't show.

You also need to use dowel rods. They help each layer of the cake from falling into the lower layer of cake. There is a tutorial on cake central. Just look it up under tutorials. I don't know how to add things into my posts yet sorry.

I would take extra icing, bags, couplers, tips, spatuala's large & small. I think I got everything. Oh, camera. If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Never put a cake in the seat of your car. Always put it on the floor. I have a van so I took out the back seat & that gave me plenty of room to transport cakes. I leave the seat out so I don't have to keep messing w/ it everytime I have a cake to deliver.

Your welcome! If you need anymore help just let me know. I'm willing & able till I head off to bed.
~TC~

lol! ok, now the dowel rods, are those the little plates that go under each later and have the 3 legs that sit ont he cake? 3 boards to under each cake? will that effect having htem on the dowels?
lol................................

tcturtleshell Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 15

Mommyof3~

No, Dowels are wooden sticks. You stick the first dowel in the middle of the cake & get the right height. Then you cut the other dowels the same size. Use the dowel you used to measure up with the other dowels. They need to be pushed into the cake even with the top of the icing. The other cake sits on top with no problems. You have to put the other cake on top very carefully or you could get it crooked or get finger prints in the icing. You need dowels so the cakes don't fall into each other. To me wooden dowels are the best to use. You will need to add more dowels for bigger size cakes. For a 16" cake I use about 6 or more dowels. I would use cake boards under your cakes not the plastic boards. Only because they do have the legs in them & they won't sit very well on your cake. I could be wrong but I would rather use cardboard cake boards. Also...Put coconut on the cake where the cake on top of it will be. This will keep the cake from sticking to the cake below & not taking off all the icing. If you need me to help you just IM me or email me ok. I'd love to answer any questions you have.

Flav~

You can use your truck to transport the cakes. I would just make sure they are covered very good! Do the same thing like I mentioned above but I would add something on each side of the cake boxes just in case they would slid on the rhino lining. Something heavy to keep them in place (just in case).

~TC~

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 15

I keep a large square of foam rubber about one inch thick to sit extra cakes on. I put a clean towel on it before placing the cake on it and it doesn't slide or move.
For general delivery, I only have a car but I have a large 3/4 inch thick shelf board cut to the width across the car seat length and it extends about 2 inches over the front edge. Where the seat dips I place a rolled up towel on each side, and in the middle it's level. On top of the board I have glued in place the "Duck" brand of shelf liner. Underneath I have strip of this liner glued down the center to keep it from sliding on the seat itself.
Knock on wood...so far I have been extremely lucky with no major boo-boos. We used to have another of this type with legs to support the front of the board, but that was made for a different car, different wood, and so far I haven't gotten around putting the legs on this new stronger one yet.
I know, I had better be keeping my fingers crossed for future references!!! (the furthest I've had to travel so far with a cake is 45 miles)

momof3jotynjake Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:

Mommyof3~

No, Dowels are wooden sticks. You stick the first dowel in the middle of the cake & get the right height. Then you cut the other dowels the same size. Use the dowel you used to measure up with the other dowels. They need to be pushed into the cake even with the top of the icing. The other cake sits on top with no problems. You have to put the other cake on top very carefully or you could get it crooked or get finger prints in the icing. You need dowels so the cakes don't fall into each other. To me wooden dowels are the best to use. You will need to add more dowels for bigger size cakes. For a 16" cake I use about 6 or more dowels. I would use cake boards under your cakes not the plastic boards. Only because they do have the legs in them & they won't sit very well on your cake. I could be wrong but I would rather use cardboard cake boards. Also...Put coconut on the cake where the cake on top of it will be. This will keep the cake from sticking to the cake below & not taking off all the icing. If you need me to help you just IM me or email me ok. I'd love to answer any questions you have.

Flav~

You can use your truck to transport the cakes. I would just make sure they are covered very good! Do the same thing like I mentioned above but I would add something on each side of the cake boxes just in case they would slid on the rhino lining. Something heavy to keep them in place (just in case).

~TC~

ARE SOME CAKES MADE TO BE SET RIGHT ON TOP OF EACHOTHERE?? WITH OUT THE DOWELS? OR DO YOU NEED DOWELS?

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 15

[quote="momof3jotynjake"]

Quote:

ARE SOME CAKES MADE TO BE SET RIGHT ON TOP OF EACHOTHERE?? WITH OUT THE DOWELS? OR DO YOU NEED DOWELS?

If you are stacking cakes you really need to uses dowels, unless you were putting somethint like a two inch cake on top. The dowels add support, so that it does not sink into the layer below it.

momof3jotynjake Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 15

[quote="cakeconfections"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

Quote:

If you are stacking cakes you really need to uses dowels, unless you were putting somethint like a two inch cake on top. The dowels add support, so that it does not sink into the layer below it.

OH, I SEE, OK, I FEEL SO NERVOUS FOR SOME REASON TO USE A DOWEl?? WHAT IF I CANT PUT IT ON RIGHT OR SOMETHIGN?? OMGGGG

cakeconfections Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 15

If you are nervouse with that what about using, what about using hidden pillars and separtor plates. They may cost a little more but they may make you feel a little more comfortable. You can find info on Wilton. It works that same as dowls except you use the pillars in place of dowls and use them with plastic separator plates.

Pillar link:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3119F0-475A-BAC0-5772682F766C019C&fid=63EB9DA7-475A-BAC0-522158B536D3E04A

Sep. Plates
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=63A176AE-475A-BAC0-5A57A9990A7382F1&fid=63A176BE-475A-BAC0-5869E5659458C83D

momof3jotynjake Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 8:41pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeconfections

If you are nervouse with that what about using, what about using hidden pillars and separtor plates. They may cost a little more but they may make you feel a little more comfortable. You can find info on Wilton. It works that same as dowls except you use the pillars in place of dowls and use them with plastic separator plates.

Pillar link:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3119F0-475A-BAC0-5772682F766C019C&fid=63EB9DA7-475A-BAC0-522158B536D3E04A

Sep. Plates
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=63A176AE-475A-BAC0-5A57A9990A7382F1&fid=63A176BE-475A-BAC0-5869E5659458C83D

THAT SOUNDS GOOD!!
DO YOU GET THOSE BACK? OR DO THEY KEEEP THEM

cakeconfections Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 15

It is up to you on getting them back or not. YOu can charge them a deposit for them, and if they give them back you give them the deposit back. If they dont you keep the deposit. Or just include the cost of your materials in the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%