Sugar Molds

Decorating By linda9588 Updated 4 Mar 2007 , 5:16pm by Fairytale

linda9588 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda9588 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 11

can anybody tell me how to make molded sugar i have the mold but dont know the recipe i saw them in the baby shower gallery and i want to try them for a baby shower cake i have to do in april so please help thanks

10 replies
Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 11

I like to use superfine sugar in my sugar molds, but table sugar will do. Just mix it with a little water and some meringue powder ( I forget the proportions but if you do a search for sugar eggs you can find the exact recipe). There should only be enough water to make the sugar stick together. Very much like when you make a sand castle. You should be able to grab a handful of sugar, squeeze, and live the impression of your fingers. Good luck.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 11

Here's a website I found with instructions.
http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20010405eggs3a.asp

HTH

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 11

What sorts of things do you use this for?? Sugar molds? Does anyone have any examples? TIA!

Fairytale Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 11

I make sugar eggs (see my album) and shells. Their great if your having a party and want cool shapes for the sugar when you serving coffee or tea. I make sugar shapes using chocolate molds, sugar molds and soap molds. Pretty much anything will do.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:09am
post #6 of 11

Fairytale~ Your work is amazing!!! Beautiful!!!

Fairytale Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:42am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Fairytale~ Your work is amazing!!! Beautiful!!!

Oh thanks. I've always liked to make stuff.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:45am
post #8 of 11

Fairytale, what medium do you use for the flowers and shells on top of the egg? Are they gumpaste or made of sugar also?

Your work is exquisite.

Fairytale Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Fairytale, what medium do you use for the flowers and shells on top of the egg? Are they gumpaste or made of sugar also?

Your work is exquisite.

The shells were made from chocolate molds, the roses were fondant and the violets were royal.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:

What sorts of things do you use this for?? Sugar molds? Does anyone have any examples? TIA!

Back in the "old days" it was pretty common to see sugar bells on wedding cakes.

More recently, I made a sugar mold vase for my sister's birthday cake last year. The base was made from a tart tin, and the top was from a custard cup. Once the thing has dried so that an outer shell has formed, you scoop out the still moist center. I put the two pieces together and trimmed it with royal. You can do quite a lot with it. I wish I'd thought to use superfine sugar, as I thought the outcome was a little coarse with table sugar.

Fairytale Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

Quote:

Back in the "old days" it was pretty common to see sugar bells on wedding cakes.

Ahhhhh yes. Sugar bells, silver shots (dragees) and silver leaves. I loved those cakes. Seemed they were always a white cake with a really sugary icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%