Question About Melting

Sugar Work By coastiewife06 Updated 5 Mar 2007 , 4:31am by coastiewife06

coastiewife06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coastiewife06 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 8

I typically use the microwave to melt my stuff, but want to make it a little easier on myself, and possibly use an electric griddle that you make pancakes on, not one on the stove, but one that you can put on a table or counter top. would i be able to use ceramic bowls on this? or would they just crack and break?

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 8

You could try it, but not with your best bowls, and keeping the heat very low. I think a metal bowl over barely very hot (not boiling) water works best for me. dump in the chocolate and walk away. As long as it water isn't too hot, the chocolate melts nice and slow.

By the way, NOVATO??? I went to high school there a very long time ago. My dad was in the Air Force when the base was still active.

JoAnn

coastiewife06 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:52am
post #3 of 8

Yeah, that's actually the housing we live in. we live up on the hill. Thanks. I realized i don't have all the colors i need, so i'm not working on anything until after i go shopping icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:42am
post #4 of 8

I find that if I melt the chocolate/candy melts in the microwave first and then transfer the bowls to my electric skillet set to warm AND WITH A DOUBLE LAYER OF DISH TOWEL under the bowls (either plastic or glass), I can keep things at a fine texture for piping or filling molds. I can keep a lot of product ready to go for a long time doing it this way--but the toweling is important for eliminating hot spots!

Rae

coastiewife06 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 8

so just a plain dish towel will work? it won't get to hot or anything?

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 8

I use an electric fry pan. I fill it with some water, keep it on low, & I use glass bowls for the larger amounts of chocolate, and small glass jars for the colored chocolate. I have it on for up to 16 hours a day & no problems.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 8

If the skillet is set on the lowest "warm" setting, the towel will get warm enough to keep the product melted evenly and insulate the bowl from the direct heat. The towel will be fine.

Rae

coastiewife06 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:31am
post #8 of 8

ok thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%