A Couple Of Goofy Questions, Lol

Decorating By FaithsPlace Updated 4 Mar 2007 , 4:54am by amberhoney

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 19

Ok...I have seen so many terms on here and now I am just confused, lol. What is: sugar vien (sp), sugar paste, and mmf? LOL, I feel kind of dumb asking but, its driving me nuts. Is sugar paste the same as fondant and mmf, marshmellow fondant? Thanks for answering girls!!

18 replies
nickdrewnjaysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickdrewnjaysmom Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 19

Hi,
Did you mean sugar veil??Here's a link..

http://www.sugarveil.com/

MMF=Marshmellow fondant ( you were right!!)

This is from baking 911 regarding sugar paste..

Gum paste, also known as sugar paste, pastillage or sometimes called candy clay, is used for making all kinds of fancy decorations, such as long-lasting flowers, ribbons, bows, leaves, and just about anything else you can imagine.

www.baking911.com

I hope this helps!!!!
JoAnn

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 19

Hmmmm, dunno about 'sugar vein'.
Sugar paste? This might be another name for fondant. There are gals on here from other countries and they have different names for things. Like 'powdered sugar' is 'icing sugar'.
MMF=marshmallow fondant
CMMF=chocolate marshmallow fondant
thumbs_up.gif

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 19

in margaret braun's book "a cake walk" she always refers to fondant as sugar paste. it might be used in reference to gum paste too, but im not sure!

FaithsPlace Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 19

JoAnn and Ladies,
Thank you so much for responding! That helps a ton! I felt kind of silly but, I had to know, lol.

Thanks again!

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 19

while you all are explaining terms - I have figured out most of them (WASC, FBCT, etc etc etc) and lots of them have helped me enormously with my decorating. Two still confuse me though - quincenera and smash cakes! Can someone please fill me in!!?!?! TIA

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberhoney

while you all are explaining terms - I have figured out most of them (WASC, FBCT, etc etc etc) and lots of them have helped me enormously with my decorating. Two still confuse me though - quincenera and smash cakes! Can someone please fill me in!!?!?! TIA

From what I've gathered about quincenera it is some kind of spanish birthday, but not sure. A smash cake is when a 1 yr old gets their very own "smash" cake to squish up!!! LOL!! icon_lol.gif

amberhoney Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:46am
post #8 of 19

thanks for that, I so wish I had known about the smash cakes when I made my nephews birthday cake last month!!! Here was I thinking the smash cake is for smooshing all over the birthday person's face - a la americas funniest home videos- the power of TV!! - do people really do that when they get married in the states!?!?!?

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:57am
post #9 of 19

Quincenera is a specific birthday, like a sweet 16, it's a 15th birthday. Similar to a Bar/Bat mitzva but in the Hispanic culture & I've only seen it for girls.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong--this is what I've gathered living in Texas for 6 years.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 1:07am
post #10 of 19
Quote:

do people really do that when they get married in the states!?!?!?

some do, but most of us are nice. when dh and i fed each other, we only dabbed a bit of frosting on each other's noses. but some couples really haul off and pelt each other. i just don't see the point.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 1:07am
post #11 of 19
dawnrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnrunner Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #12 of 19

Quincenera is a coming out party for a girl turning 15, it is in essence announcing to the public the girl is of dating age - it is an old hispanic tradition.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 1:30am
post #13 of 19

I'm glad these questions came up -- I've never heard of "sugarveil" before! That's very interesting (although I'm still not quite sure what it is)...icon_redface.gif

FaithsPlace Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 2:04am
post #14 of 19

Oh, thanks for the link ! That will help in figuring out the lingo, lol.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 2:36am
post #15 of 19

Here is an article by the makers of Sugar Veil.
http://www.sugarveil.com/

FaithsPlace Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 3:44am
post #16 of 19

Thanks Shirley!! I will check out that link icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:07am
post #17 of 19

Yep, just adding to the Quinceañera... When you turn 15 your parents present you to "society" which means that you are of age to date (but must parents don´t let you until you are older anyway) it just means that you are turning into a beautiful young lady. It is like a sweet 16 but they do go out of way, almost like a wedding. It is a hipanic tradition!

Oh and the "smash" cake, I´ve seen it for baby´s 1st birthday, so that the baby can eat with his/her hands and smash it.

HTH

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:16am
post #18 of 19
Quote:

do people really do that when they get married in the states!?!?!?

Unfortunatly for me... yes they do.... My husband got me so bad, I could smell cake for a week!!

amberhoney Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:54am
post #19 of 19

oh my gosh that is obviously one of those (if you will pardon the expression) 'only in the USA' things - no offence intended but brides spend so long doing hair/makeup/dress etc that to have cake all over everything....well not something I've ever seen in the flesh put it that way! I am glad I now know the definition of quincenera. Some of those cakes are just incredible, good enough for wedding cakes, now I see why. What a lovely tradition. Now THAT one I could see catching on here!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%