Mmf, Again...

Decorating By juliet Updated 9 Apr 2005 , 6:36am by missyb

juliet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliet Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, so I am quite certain that by now everyone is sick of talking about MMF, but I'm new here and I can't seem to find the receipe anywhere. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance....

9 replies
dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 10
missyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyb Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 12:56am
post #3 of 10

i just made my very first ever fondant and this is the recipe i used, its great. i could however use some advice on how to use it and actually make it look good. i posted a pic of my first attemp, and i am sure people were just trying to be nice with their comments. truth is, i had no idea what i was doing.

Susan94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan94 Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:42am
post #4 of 10

If you go to recipes and click under "m" it should be there after you scroll down. I tried it a couple weeks ago and it's great. Rolls out like pie dough and tasts like circus peanuts. I will never buy "Wilton Fondant" from a box again (even if I'm in a pinch).

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 10

The recipe I used, is also bunnywomans. I could not get it to work right, it tasted like the 10x sugar, but like I always have said, I am sure it was me. I have copied and pasted this. Again this Bunnywoman's recipe.

Marshmallow fondant
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 tbsp water
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup powder sugar

Place marshmallows in a standard 1 cup measuring cup and push down and pack them in. Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Just long enough for them to soften and puff up. Take out and stir with a spoon until it is combined well. At this point it looks kind of soupy. Then add the sugar and mix and fold until all is incorporated and it is no longer sticky. I take it out of the bowl when it gets to the point where most of the sugar is incorporated and I knead it in my hands. This takes roughly about 5-7 minutes. Take a fondant roller or a regular rolling pin and roll out just as you would Wilton's fondant. You can get this fondant almost paper thin and it also repairs well. It's cheap, easy to work with, and tastes great too.

missyb Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 10

its still pretty sweet, but not too bad. its on the site from prettytoya( i cut and pasted recipe)

A very tasty alternative to buttercream icing or regular fondant.

16 oz white marshmallows
2 tb water
2 lb icing sugar (approx. 8 cups confectioners' or powdered sugar)

1. Melt marshmallows and water in a double boiler or microwave.
Heat until melted.

2. Place half of the sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the middle.
Pour melted marshmallow in and mix.

3. Add remaining sugar and continue kneading. (add more powedered sugar in tablespoons as you are kneading. Micture should not be sticky)

TIPS
---grease your hands and the bowl.
Also, let this stuff rest overnight.
It will be pretty stiff when you try to knead it again, but it can be microwaved for five to ten seconds (start off with 5) and it will soften right up and be perfect for rolling out and playing with.

Discard all the crusty residues.

TO USE
if fondant is too hard, place about 30 sec. in microwave. Dust work table with cornstarch, and knead for a couple of minutes.
Then roll as thin as you want with rolling pin dusted in cornstarch. To avoid it from stickin to your work surface, turn rolled dough frequently, and continue dusting with cornstarch until you have reached desired thinnes.
To color: Separate small amounts of fondant & color with paste food colours to the desired tone. Knead until colour is smooth and completely uniform.
This fondant does not set fast at all. When you have formed your flowers, set them on a curved surface so they don't loose their shape (hang them upside down) It will not be as perfect as Gum Paste, but it will work. Also, start making flowers at least two days in advance to allow them to set.

Additions
add 2oz melted vanilla candy melts.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 6:26am
post #7 of 10

You know, I have yet to figure out what the addition of the candy melts does. icon_confused.gif Do you use it everytime(I didn't when I made mine)? Or is it for a different taste/color? Just wanted to know for future reference. Thanks!!
~Tanya

missyb Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 6:27am
post #8 of 10

i have not added it to mine, i believe she means if you want to flavor it you can by adding the melts.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 6:35am
post #9 of 10

Thanks, Missyb! I was wondering what that was for. Maybe I will try it out on a practice cake this weekend.
~Tanya

missyb Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 6:36am
post #10 of 10

good luck! remeber to have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%