For Those That Use Edible Images....

Decorating By mnmmommy Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 1:24am by nia0524

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:45am
post #1 of 45

I just got my ink and icing sheets and I am going to make cookies with edible images of mater or lightning mcqueen(from cars) on them. I'm trying to decide which one to do. Will the mcqueen one use too much of my red. I'm just trying to be conservative and the person I'm making them for doesn't care which character I make.

What do you think?

44 replies
mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 45

anyone?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 45

Sorry I can't help you out with your question but congrats on having your own printer and stuff to do edible images! I just love them and am thinking of getting set up to do my own as well.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 45

there is no such thing as a "TRUE" edible red. Your red will look more like brown.

The FDA in it's total and God like wisdom ( yeah right..lol) determined that RED DYE NUMBER something or other... was a cause of cancer so they pulled it off the market.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 45

The red I get on my edible images is QUITE red. Check out the heart the bear is holding on my "bear hug" cake - or the woman's gown on the Memorial Day cake in my pix.

Why would you buy the system if you're not going to use it to create what you see in your mind? If you want the red car...go for the red car! I usually print highly saturated, full-page images, and I find that my cartridges last for about 30 sheets of icing. That's about a dollar a sheet for the cartridges I use. Isn't your outcome worth a dollar?

If you're worried about running out of one color ink too soon....the next few images you make may very well use more of the OTHER colors. Don't sweat it! Just have FUN!

RisqueBusiness Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 45

Crimsicle

which edible image system do you use? I even spoke to the SUGAR ART people ( I think that's who started the whole edible image thing...the big one where you put the cake down and it goes through the sprays) and he was the one that informed me because I am having such issues with my red.

Yes, your images are nice and clear..maybe it's time for me to upgrade then....from the Cannon 3000 to whatever you are using, LOVE YOUR IMAGES! so crisp, clear and brightly colored!!

and mnm mommy if you are worried about running out, just order a second set, I always keep 2 sets of inks handy since I use my printer quite a LOT!

People love it and it is SO easy !!!

Crimsicle Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 45

RB and I have PM'd about this, but for general info....

I use the Canon ip1500. Set to plain paper, high quality, vivid photo. I love this little machine. It has been a winner from the first image out of the box.

Teekakes Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

I use the Canon ip1500. Set to plain paper, high quality, vivid photo. I love this little machine. It has been a winner from the first image out of the box.

Crimsicle, for clarification purposes because I am seriously thinking of investing in a printer for edible images, is the Canon ip 1500 you use the same as the Canon Pixma IP 1500? Also, what ink cartridges do you use and recommend? Thanks in advance!!

nia0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nia0524 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:03am
post #9 of 45

I'm in the market to purchase a printer as well, I just went to Canon's website and this printer sells for about fifty bucks...I thought that it would cost a lot more...am I looking at the right the printer?

Teekakes Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:26am
post #10 of 45

nia524, and anyone else that might know,

I am at the canon.com store too and can not find the IP 1500. They have the IP 1700 photo printer for 49.99. Is this the one you are looking at? Does anyone know if the 1700 replaced the 1500???

nia0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nia0524 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:52am
post #11 of 45

TeeKakes, the 1700 has replaced the 1500, I just bought one from Best Buy...it was on sale for 47.95 icon_biggrin.gif I'm just waiting on the ink...I can't wait to get started on this thing

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:06am
post #12 of 45

am i reading this right you can use any printer and just buy ediable paper and ink? cause that would be a load off but then what do you do for images just print them off of your computer? for now I have been going to the grocery store where I used to work and having them pring off images for me a 6 bucks a sheet so I would love love to be able and invest in my own printer.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:27am
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmmommy

I just got my ink and icing sheets and I am going to make cookies with edible images of mater or lightning mcqueen(from cars) on them. I'm trying to decide which one to do. Will the mcqueen one use too much of my red. I'm just trying to be conservative and the person I'm making them for doesn't care which character I make.

What do you think?

This is one that I did. I use a canon ip3000, KopyKake sheets, and KK inks. I don't think you can see it so well, but the image looked like it was popping out of the cake! It was a very vivid red.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=rezzycakes&cat=0&pos=18

-Rezzy

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:52am
post #14 of 45

Here's one I did using an epson cx4200 and KK inks. I think the "N" looks pretty red. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=tiggy2&cat=0&pos=1

Teekakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:00am
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzycakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmmommy

What do you think?

This is one that I did. I use a canon ip3000, KopyKake sheets, and KK inks. I don't think you can see it so well, but the image looked like it was popping out of the cake! It was a very vivid red.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=rezzycakes&cat=0&pos=18

-Rezzy

Rezzy, thanks for the photo. Your copier does do a very good job too. I have certainly decided the Canon brand is definitely the way to go.
For 50.00 and high quality photos I think I'll go with the 1700 for now and see how all goes. Thanks again for the photo and I love that cake! It looks awesome!

Teekakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:03am
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather2780

am i reading this right you can use any printer and just buy ediable paper and ink? cause that would be a load off but then what do you do for images just print them off of your computer? for now I have been going to the grocery store where I used to work and having them pring off images for me a 6 bucks a sheet so I would love love to be able and invest in my own printer.

Heather, yes this is true. However, some do much better jobs at printing the edible images than others and the Canon and Epsons are the highest recommended and most used in the industry of cake and cookie decorating. I am going to go with the Canon IP 1700. The pics are great, the red is red, and the price is GREAT!

Teekakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:04am
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nia524

TeeKakes, the 1700 has replaced the 1500, I just bought one from Best Buy...it was on sale for 47.95 icon_biggrin.gif I'm just waiting on the ink...I can't wait to get started on this thing

Thanks Nia524! I'll go to Best Buy tomorrow and see if they are on sale here. You can't beat that price and they do print excellent quality EI's! I'll go check out KopyKakes inks and icing sheets now. Toooo much fun is to be had here you know! icon_biggrin.gif

Teekakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:09am
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Here's one I did using an epson cx4200 and KK inks. I think the "N" looks pretty red. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=tiggy2&cat=0&pos=1

Wow Tiggy2! I LOVE THAT CAKE! I am a snowman collector and your cake just became a favorite of mine! Your Epson is an excellent printer for the EI's too! I have heard over and over that Epson and Canon are the only way to go with EI's and the proof lies in these pictures that truly do speak a thousand words. Thanks for the photo example and the snowman cake inspiration! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:30am
post #19 of 45

Thank you Teekakes! I think the epson does an excelent job, I've been very happy with it.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:30am
post #20 of 45

The printer I have is a Cannon Pixima ip3000 I prints pretty good but I find the red comes out more orange so I go into my printer proprties and set the manual ajustment of the magenta +10 and I also find that the black can leave streaks so I set it at -10 and then it comes out great. I use icing images www.icingimages.com they have been very kind especially during shipping as I am from Canada and make special shipping requests to avoid brokerage fees.

Teekakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:47am
post #21 of 45

Giggysmack, Welcome to CC and thanks for the tips in adjusting color! You probably just saved me a headache once I get everything together and go to print my first image.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:52am
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

This is the exact printer I have as well, and I ALWAYS use mine on the setting recommended by Crimsicle! The pictures are amazing (I have even had people tell me that the edible come out a better print than their originals!!!!) The colors are crisp and sharp. I use frosting sheets and inks from icing images.

As to the original question in this post: Yes, I think that if you do only Lightning McQueen it will use a LOT of your red. I would consider doing some of each. Unless of course, you are fortunate enough to have a printer that uses individual ink tanks for each color. Mine uses 1 black and 1 tri-color cartridge, and I would be afraid that it would "suck" way to much red color and my printer wouldstart telling me that my color ink was low!

Enjoy your new printer!

RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:20pm
post #23 of 45

kopy Kake inks only work with cannon printers I think...call them and find out.

also, check the price on the inks because the printer may be inexpensive, but the inks will kill ya.

also if you find that shipping is too costly from CA, they are always nice enough to find someone closer....they found me someone right outside of Orlando, and now my shipping is 5 to 8 bucks

tiggy2 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:33pm
post #24 of 45

Kopy Kake also has inks for epson but as far as I know canon and epson are the only printers that you can get edible ink for. Someone correct me if I wrong.

tiggy2 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:34pm
post #25 of 45

Kopy Kake also has inks for epson but as far as I know canon and epson are the only printers that you can get edible ink for. Someone correct me if I wrong.
Oops, sorry for the double post!

RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:36pm
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Oops, sorry for the double post!

I wasn't sure about the epson..so thanks for posting that...

Teekakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:46pm
post #27 of 45

Thanks for the tips Tiggy and Risque! I'll check the Kope Kake retailers here in my area first. thumbs_up.gif

Crimsicle Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:26pm
post #28 of 45

Whoever was thinking of the ip1700...please check it out thoroughly before you invest. The 1700 uses PG-40 inks. They don't look the same in the pixture as the inks for the 1500. the 1500 uses the BC-21 style. *I* can't find where the 1700 is compatible.

Crimsicle Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:29pm
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Crimsicle, for clarification purposes because I am seriously thinking of investing in a printer for edible images, is the Canon ip 1500 you use the same as the Canon Pixma IP 1500? Also, what ink cartridges do you use and recommend? Thanks in advance!!

Sorry, Teekakes...I haven't been back here in a bit....

Yes, the ip1500 IS the Pixma IP 1500. I use Kopykake cartridges. I suspect they're all about the same. There probably aren't that many manufacturers of edible ink out there. All the suppliers probably get theirs from the same place, I'd wager.

Edited to add: Just for grins, I searched the net looking for this printer. I found a few on eBay that have serveral bids already. Nothing on the net in general. I got mine (and a backup) on Amazon. But, they no longer have a supplier who has them. I guess I should stop recommending them, as they are apparently scarce as hen's teeth!

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:43pm
post #30 of 45

Does anybody know if the Canon Pixma ip1600 would be just as good? I found the ip1700 & the ip1600, but not an ip1500. icon_confused.gif

Also, where would the best place to buy icing sheets, and edible ink be? I live in Canada, would I still be able to buy from KopyKake?

Thanks,
Val. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%