Fondant On Cookies-Is It Cheating?

Baking By MichelleM77 Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 5:13pm by melysa

kissmycookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmycookie Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:29pm
post #31 of 38

Michelle we make all of our own fondant, it's really very easy and even knead it in our KAid professional mixer. You can also color it when you melt the marshmallows and we have learned to let darker colors and chocolate MMF 'rest' overnight, for it really helps to keep it from tearing too. Also we add 1 to 2 tsp. of karo syrup to the melted marshmallows and only 3Tbs of water per 16 oz bag marshmallows and 2lbs of confec. sugar. We pop it out of the mixer and into double plastic wrap, very easy.

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:33pm
post #32 of 38

Could Pettinice fondant be used also?

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:39pm
post #33 of 38

If that is cheating then you can say those who use cake mixes versus scratch are too?
I am sure I just saw that done on a lot of cookies is Toba Garrett's book "Creative Cookies". I returned it to the library this morning or I would quote you the pages.
Wonderful look. I am sure they taste great too.
I am sure they will look great too.
Good Luck Claire

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:48pm
post #34 of 38

Gosh, I can't imagine why you'd call it "cheating". I don't use fondant, but I do know that it's a lot of work and takes a lot of talent. Different medium, different technique. Not worse or better .... just different.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:51pm
post #35 of 38

I made MMF a year ago and had no luck with it. I prefer the RTU stuff.

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:00pm
post #36 of 38

If you are going to buy the stuff, I hear satin ice is the way to go. I just make MMF.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:06pm
post #37 of 38

I've heard Satin Ice is good. I finally found a store kinda close to home that sells it. Now I just have to get there and buy some!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:13pm
post #38 of 38

no way, its not cheating, just a different technique. it still takes plenty of time too.

i have some hearts in my photos that were covered in chocolate satin ice.....mmm mmm mmm! the stuff rocks, whether choc or vanilla, it is waaaaaaay better than any other fondant i've ever tasted. i use it exclusively now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%