Difference Between Imbc And Swiss Mbc?

Decorating By potatocakes Updated 17 Jan 2006 , 2:23pm by potatocakes

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 10

What's the difference between Italian Meringue BC and Swiss Meringue BC? Does one smooth better than the other? What buttercream is most preferred usually for wedding cakes? Can anyone share the best tried and true recipe they use? I looked at Martha Stewart's website and she has several different recipes for each, and I don't know which would be the best. Any help appreciated! I have a wedding cake to do in March (my first!) and I want to experiment next week with different buttercreams. Thanks!

Tracy

9 replies
tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 10

I have made the Swiss buttercream and if I remember correctly it's made with the whole egg, not just whites. The Italian version uses only egg whites.

I liked the Swiss one however it must be at room temperature when you eat it otherwise it just tastes like butter. Same goes for the IMBC. Both smooth about the same as they are non-crusting. I don't know which one stands up better....the IMBC seems the be the favoured buttercream though.....

Hope this helps a little....

Anyone else?

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 10

The difference is that Italian Meringue Buttercream is made by cooking the sugar in the recipe to a hot syrup that is added to cold whipped egg whites.

In Swiss Meringue Buttercream, it is BOTH the egg whites + sugar that are whipped together using a heat source (like whisking in a pan over simmering water).

They both use egg whites.

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 10

Italian meringue butter cream is usually made beating hot sugar syrup ( at around 140 degrees) into stiffly beaten egg whites until cool then butter is added.

Swiss meringue is made by dissolving the egg white and sugar together reaching around 160 degrees then whipped up until cool and then butter is added.

french butter cream includes egg yolks in the sugar syrup / butter mix icon_smile.gif

I think I read in my professional pastry book that Swiss can deflate if left out and Italian is more stable in generalicon_smile.gif Italian is my preference as it isn't sickly sweet and has a beautiful fresh sheen to your cakeicon_smile.gif

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 12:03am
post #5 of 10

icon_redface.gif Oops, I stand corrected! I thought the recipe I had made was the Swiss however it looks like I made the French one instead....

A major reason why I love this site, people who actually know their stuff! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 3:41am
post #6 of 10

How hard is it to get it looking nice if it doesn't crust? Non-crusting buttercreams make me nervous.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 4:05am
post #7 of 10

i would definitley go with the smbc, it is much easier to make and they taste relatively the same, at least to me anyways. i used nick m's recipe, i believe i posted the recipe on this site before, i'll have to do a check. i do, however, substitute half of the butter for trans-fat free shortnening instead. it gives the smbc a rich whipped cream taste and feel. i learned this tip from a very popular bakery in town who are known for their "secret buttercream". actually, not too long ago on foodnetwork one of the the pastry chefs mentioned that they too substitute half shortening for the butter for their icing.

also, as far as smoothing goes, i can get my cakes really smooth by doing the "upside down method", most people think its too time-consuming but to be honest, i think it takes alot more time trying to smooth a cake without this method! actually, i can't smooth a crusting buttercream cake nearly as well as non-crusting. my customers love my buttercream because its not overly sweet, heavy, or gritty like many other icings. good luck!

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 12:48am
post #8 of 10

dailey I love your avatar!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 12:54am
post #9 of 10

thanks beany! icon_biggrin.gif

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the wonderful information! You guys are the best!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%