Betty Crocker "decorating Set"

Decorating By Melvira Updated 2 Mar 2007 , 8:25pm by Janette

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 41

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this commercial... it's for the BC Decorating set, and it comes with this weird plastic contraption that you put a disposable bag into and fill with frosting... and can 'easily make professional looking cakes'. Well, don't even get me started on that one... you still have to KNOW how to do it, and get good at it. But here's my question... the plastic frosting thing... it seems like it *might* work while it is plumb full, but when you started to use up the frosting wouldn't it be hard to squeeze it out past the plastic part? Like you'd be shoving the bag up inside the plastic to get the icing out. Doesn't look that convenient to me. A regular piping bag would definitely work easier.

And don't get me started on the UGLY cakes they show as the easy to make 'professional' looking cakes you can create. I'm sorry, but the colors make them all look like 70's rejects!! Ugh!!

40 replies
scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 41

I asked about this yesterday. While I don't think I would use the icing tubes, the other items looked interesting...stencils, letters and cake comb. I think those could be used alongside a more professional icing bag.

I agree though that the cakes didn't look so great...the color combos were awful!

lbutrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbutrum Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 41

I saw the commercial today--i think it's only on 'kids' channels for all of us moms!! I'm nowhere near professional but I had to laugh too!!!

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 41

I have seen that commercial or something similar where I am from. Is is the one were they have all the accessories for "great decorating for only 19.99" It was an odd looking machine for decorating for sure. My first thought was why on earth would I use something like that when a regular bag would be easier. To be honest I was dumb founded by the decorating tool I failed to notice the cakes. Next time it is one I will pay better attention.

kaykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaykakes Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 41

My neice has one. The bags fit like disposible bottle bags.

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 41

you can see the infomercial at this link...

https://www.decoratorkit.com/#order

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 41

You are funny icon_lol.gif I didn't pay any attention to the piping contraption but the cakes did not look that great. They did look like a blast from the past.

Melvira Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 41

When I saw it, I was feeling sorry for the person who bought it thinking it was going to be so easy!! They show this woman making a rose and she is whipping it out like it's so easy, (like one of us would do after we have experience making a billion of them!!) and I'm afraid that could be a little misleading! And you know... if you're trying to sell this kit, show some attractive cakes! I mean, the designs weren't horrible, it was just the color combinations!! They made me feel a little queasy! Hehehe.

Edited to add: I don't think it's much of a value, becuase all the tips are plastic and I hate the plastic tips. If you don't mind those, it might be worth it. It does come with some neat accesories, but I already own most of them!! Here is a sample of one of the cakes. It's fuzzy because it's a screen capture... the colors are just... I don't know... WRONG somehow. Maybe it's just me, but a white cake with pastel accents, or bright accents, etc. would probably sell better!
LL

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 41

the color combo's were scary......and when making the rose, I kept thinking it was going to colapse, looked like awful soft icing for rose making to me!

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 41

funny, I'm listening to it in the background right now. Its on the kids channel and I can hear my boys saying "mommy has that" because they see me decorating all the time. I have to agree, they make things look so simple - very misleading. And the colors are very scary.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 41

Melvira, I have to agree with you. I have one of those kits, and let me tell you. The only good things out of it I use are the stencils, smoother, comb. The icing tube and bags are garbage. It's a good thing I only paid $4.95 out of LTD for it.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:37pm
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerton

the color combo's were scary......and when making the rose, I kept thinking it was going to colapse, looked like awful soft icing for rose making to me!

It's probably because they are using their special "betty crocker icing" and you KNOW that stuff can't REALLY be used to make roses!!!

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 41

I saw that commercial for the first time today on Nickelodeon. I am a novice at decorating, but even I had to laugh at the whole idea. For a moment I thought it was one of those flashback commercials from the seventies with the color combinations. Sadly, I could see my MIL ordering one for me. After all, she did buy me the squeezable accordion looking decorating bottles from Pampered Chef. Don't get me started on those ridiculous things!

Melvira Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 41

Hey bambuf... my PC consultant gave me those as a free gift for ordering some other stuff... she figured with me being a 'cakey' type that I'd want them. I have to say, they actually work ok for doing stuff with chocolate, but they are a nightmare to clean. I wouldn't spend good money on them, but since they were free they are ok.

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:44pm
post #15 of 41

Yeah, Melvira, that is exactly why I won't touch them. I don't want to clean them! Yikes! I may try them for chocolate, though...

Melvira Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerton

I thought that too! I thought, "That frosting is awfully soft and foamy looking for roses. I'd like to see how she's going to put it on the cake!" I don't mean to bag on them. For someone who is not really up on all the tricks, this might be a great tool. It's just the plastic bag holder thing that I think is a terrible idea.

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:49pm
post #17 of 41

[quote="scrapmomof3"] While I don't think I would use the icing tubes, the other items looked interesting...stencils, letters and cake comb. I think those could be used alongside a more professional icing bag.

I agree. I saw the commercial yesterday and it made me laugh.The cake combinations were awful.But apart from the icing tubes the other items I think would be very useful.I can give the tubes to my niece whos 7 to practice and have fun icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:56pm
post #18 of 41

and Melvira....I dont even think you showed the worst color combo.....for me it was the basketweave cake (what would you even call that color)!!!

Melvira Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:59pm
post #19 of 41

YES!! Like Salmon, or something. It was awful. I also LOVED the anniversary sheet cake that was like hideous retro green with orange flowers and purple scrolls...OMG. I'm sorry if anyone else likes these colors. I know we all like different things and I am not trying to be mean... they just aren't MY cup of tea. To each his own, right? icon_wink.gif

Correction: I was confusing two of the cakes... the sheet cake is the retro green with white borders, purple scrolls, and red, white, and blue stars and confetti all over it. icon_confused.gif I mean, honestly?

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:12pm
post #20 of 41

I LOVE this commercial!!!

Only because when it comes on my children all say, "My mommy's cakes look better than that!" "My mommy can do that!" "Mom, you're much better than that lady!" It's my self esteem boost for the day.

Yes, I know it's sad, but you take what compliments you can get when you're a SAHM!

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #21 of 41

So, I just looked the item up online (don't own a T.V. so I've never seen the commercial). It looks like something a newbie would buy-which is fine. I think it's great for those just starting-it gives them a chance to see if they really like cake decorating and if not, they didn't waist a bunch of $$$. But obviously this wasn't geared to the professionals...

denette Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #22 of 41

I know this is off topic, but how many posts will it take for me to get off the "newbie" listing?

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:16pm
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by denette

I know this is off topic, but how many posts will it take for me to get off the "newbie" listing?

I think it's 50??

denette Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:17pm
post #24 of 41

Oh goodness, I'd better pick up the pace!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:29pm
post #25 of 41

It may only be 20...

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:30pm
post #26 of 41

The commercial was on I took a quick peek and laughed. I didn't see the whole thing.

I thought everything on TV was $9.95 or $19.95.

Whatever it is LTD always has it for half the price.

brcorlew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brcorlew Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:35pm
post #27 of 41

I agree with everyone. I bought this Betty Crocker set out of the LTD for like $5 because I thought it looked like it had some neat stuff in in. When I got it I was sooo disappointed with everything. The best stuff in the kit was stuff I already had. I think the nicest part of the whole kit was the little plastic caddy it all came in. Don't wait your money! Live and Learn icon_smile.gif

Natt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natt Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:38pm
post #28 of 41

I have been reading this and got a laugh from everyones comments. I am also new. I have on off topic question also. What is LTD it has been mentioned a couple of times. Just curious.

Thanks,

Natt

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:38pm
post #29 of 41

I bought it for myself. I am just starting out and didn't want to buy some of the things seperately and this was pretty cheap. I haven't used it yet. icon_redface.gif I didn't care for the bag thing either but I wanted the other stuff like the letters. I am only doing this for myself or family.

My DD she is 5 she see's it all the time and says can I get that. So hopefully I at least get my money's worth out of it. icon_biggrin.gif

jrrn74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrrn74 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:38pm
post #30 of 41

My husband called me into the den (interupting my all important CC time) to see the commercial! He trully is a sweetie and was going to order it for me! I quickly convinced him that I already had everything that they had in the set! Yhew!! Close call!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%