Who Does Your Website?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 15 Mar 2007 , 10:26pm by Jenn2179

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 19

Hi all,

I'm very frustrated right now. I had a guy working on a website for me but he just wasn't doing what I had asked. It was very plain and well horrible. He was charging me a lot in my opionion for something not up to my expectations. So I was hoping I could get some feedback on how to make a website, or where to go with a website, or who to hire for a website. Anything!!! I really want a website and a professional looking one without a thousands of dollars price tag!!!

Any ideas, tips, suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks,
dtmc

18 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 19

I used Hyper Street. com. I thought it was easy to use, because I am pretty much computer illiterate! I do have a girl coming this week end to barter a cake for web design services. I will see what she comes up with and if I like it any better than what I did.

vivedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivedcreations Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 19

I use yahoo small business. I love it. I can pretty much do whatever I want and it only costs me 12.70 a month to have it. Very easy to use!

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 19

I use freewebs.com. I couldn't believe how simple it was to build my own webvsite, and believe me, I am not computer literate!!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 19

I use freewebs.com too. I was too, surprised how I was able to do it myself. Now it isnt anything fancy. I just wanted a place I could store all of my pics and a place where people could go to look if they wanted instead of me sending around a bunch via email.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 19

Yep, that was my goal with freewebs and it has turned out top be a really good deal!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 19

I have a freewebs account and also a blog.
Freewebs: http://www.freewebs.com/wsue1023/index.htm
Blog: http://cakespace.blogspot.com/
plus those included in my signature!

These are all free! Sure beats paying someone! icon_biggrin.gif

Wendy

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 19

I use frontpage to do all my own web work.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 19

I used geocities pro for mine

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 19

I registered my name with register.com They have great customer support. I think it's $225 for the year. I made the website myself using microsoft publisher. Complicated it seemed at first but now it's super easy and I can update it as often as I want because I did it myself.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:00am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivedcreations

I use yahoo small business. I love it. I can pretty much do whatever I want and it only costs me 12.70 a month to have it. Very easy to use!

Ditto and i love it. sitbuilder is very easy to use. lacks some things i wish it had, but for 12 bucks i'll settle......for now

julia

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:51am
post #12 of 19

I use yahoo and I'm very happy with it.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:54am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

I registered my name with register.com They have great customer support. I think it's $225 for the year. I made the website myself using microsoft publisher. Complicated it seemed at first but now it's super easy and I can update it as often as I want because I did it myself.

Did you pay this for for domain???

I paid $20.00 for the domain name. For two years.

royalfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
royalfrosting Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:30am
post #14 of 19

I use freeservers.com.. once you pick which type you want,, you have choices of templates and colors etc.. they have now added tons of pages for more photos.. up to 40 photos per page... and i have over 470 photo's.. i needed lots of room for this... very very easy.. you can monitor what page and what pic has been most active or visited, it gives you monthly stats daily stats, weekly stats.. all kinds of stuff, very easy to do.. just click and fill in with what you want... they have free ones to start with if you want to try it to see if you like it.. then i do the one where i pay 17.95 a month.. it's well worth it to me,, it is a great sales tool for me.. check it out.. juliescakes.com

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:56am
post #15 of 19

I use Dreamweaver and Photoshop to do my webpage, i have it hosted on IX
http://www.ixwebhosting.com/index.php/v2/pages.dspmain

They've been great so far.

lindav76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindav76 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 5:15am
post #16 of 19

i made mine myself with yahoo sitebuilder. i couldnt link pages so i decided to make one long page. its been up for 2 months now i think its pretty good for being my first time

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 8:11am
post #17 of 19

I make mine myself using Dreamweaver. I think you probably have to be fairly comfortable with computer use to find Dreamweaver easy - but it really is simple to use if you're computer happy. My broadband provider hosts my web-pages and have me my free web-address - www.emmascakes.co.uk
I edit my own photos using adobe photoshop. I would find it very difficult to have someone else do my pages as I can edit them whenever I want and add new photos in as soon as I've done them. I would strongly recommend going on a short web design course and do your own pages - I reckon you could learn all you need to in about six hours of tuition.

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 2:16pm
post #18 of 19

My site was done by www.thirdleveldesign.co.uk but I have control of the photo changes in the galleries and I just have to ask my web guy to do something for me and he takes care of it, like adding comments or news. He does these little things at no extra cost too. I recently found blogspots though....thanks to Wendysue! So I have been having a great time adding anything I want whenever I want! www.extra-icing.blogspot.com
thumbs_up.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 10:26pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

Did you pay this for for domain???

I paid $20.00 for the domain name. For two years.

That was for the domain name and for the hosting of the website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%