Can I Freeze Fondant?

Decorating By Horselady Updated 17 May 2014 , 2:16pm by CWR41

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 10

I made a batch of fondant but I won't be using it all, how can I store it so I can use it later? Do I freeze it or put in in a plastic bag in the fridge?

Thanks!

9 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 10

What type of fondant did you make? I know that the recipe I use actually says you can store it frozen for up to 4 months. You do need to let it warm to room temperature in the package before trying to work with it again.

Horselady Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 10

I made MMF found on this site.

It was my first batch, came out good I think, I made a rose with it (a really bad rose, I think I need to find a tutorial) and then I put the rest in the fridge to work with tonight. Also, I covered the top with Crisco like you do with bread before you let it rise. I hope that was right....

I thought it would have more of a bread dough consistency, it seems it is more like clay, is this correct?

Thanks!!!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 10

Fondant should be a soft clay texture, but not sticky. You don't need to store it in the fridge or freezer, but it is fine for long-term storage.

Wrap it very well, plastic and foil, and store it in an airtight container. It will be fine on the counter for weeks.

When you try to use it later, it may be very hard. you can soften it in the microwave-very carefully- because this stuff burns your hands if you let it get hot in the middle.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 10

Yes -- Like soft clay. The coating of crisco will help keep it from drying so fast. MMF is fine stored in an airtight container at room temp. It is mainly marsmallows and sugar after all!!

Horselady Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 10

Mine is like hard clay...well, not hard but it isn't like bread dough. It isn't sticky, and my KA mixed it (what a tough cookie that thing is). But we'll see when I roll it out tonight!

Thanks for the tips guys!!

April

icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 10

I am new to Fondant too, you can easily stick your finger into it (when it's shaped like a blob) and the imprint will stay. Is that correct? or is it too soft?

Horselady Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 10

I don't know if that is correct, but it sounds like a good description of the stuff I have, lol. I can mash it and mold it, but it takes some hand strength. I can't wait to play with this stuff. My BF was laughing at my first rose with it. I didn't think it was that bad considering I read half a tutorial on Gumpaste roses about 3 months ago,,,, but he laughed at it, MEN.

Anyway, I'm trying Fondant for the first time for a bow for my first "outside" cake. It is for a friend, but I won't be eating it, so I'm a little excited!!!!

Thanks,
April

5kidsncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
5kidsncake Posted 17 May 2014 , 1:23am
post #9 of 10

AI have a figurine 50/50 fondant/gumpaste. I made it last minute and need it dry within the next couple of days. Can I put it in the freezer? Will that make it hard any quicker than just leaving it out to air dry?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 17 May 2014 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kidsncake 

I have a figurine 50/50 fondant/gumpaste. I made it last minute and need it dry within the next couple of days. Can I put it in the freezer? Will that make it hard any quicker than just leaving it out to air dry?

No, you shouldn't freeze because when it thaws, it will be as soft as when you put it in the freezer... you can let it dry in the oven with only the oven lightbulb on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%