I Know I Will Get "hate Mail" ( Ha Ha Ha) For Sayi

Decorating By drurys Updated 30 Jan 2006 , 3:11pm by tastycakes

VickiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiG Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 7:11pm
post #31 of 40

Just curious (I just got a new stand mixer)... what beater do you use for buttercream ? The paddle or the whisk ?

I think my problem may be more due to the fact that I haven't added any liquid (only the butter)... it seems so powdery and not really mixed. But I've only tried the paddle.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 7:15pm
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiG

Just curious (I just got a new stand mixer)... what beater do you use for buttercream ? The paddle or the whisk ?

I think my problem may be more due to the fact that I haven't added any liquid (only the butter)... it seems so powdery and not really mixed. But I've only tried the paddle.

Actually you should use the paddle because you don't want to incorporate too much air so as not to get air bubbles and smoothing issues. You actually do use the paddle for most things, not the whisk. The paddle is also used to mix your cake batter. The whisk is used to beat egg whites or yolks and to whip cream. More often than not, you will use the paddle for most other things.
Hugs Squirrelly
Edited to add, if you are mixing up royal icing, well there the preferences vary. Martha Stewart suggests using the paddle attachment. But sometimes your royal might dry out because it mixes a bit slower this way. The premise is likely to avoid too many air bubbles in the royal. Other people recommend using the whisk to make royal icing and letting the icing sit really airtight for a few hours to allow those bubbles to surface.

VickiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiG Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 7:22pm
post #33 of 40

Thanks. That's what I thought (that I should use the paddle)... but just thought while this was being talked about I'd ask the experts !!!

Then I think maybe it's because I hadn't added the liquid... and I need to get used to using a stand mixer instead of my hand mixer.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 8:14pm
post #34 of 40

I rarely use my whisk attachment.

You know, I should have never jumped in on this thread...too many emotional ups and downs (HA!)...one minute I'm sad 'cause I think something may be wrong with my mixer, then I'm happy 'cause it may actually be fine...now I'm sad again...

I need to take a nap now.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 8:28pm
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fytar

I rarely use my whisk attachment.

You know, I should have never jumped in on this thread...too many emotional ups and downs (HA!)...one minute I'm sad 'cause I think something may be wrong with my mixer, then I'm happy 'cause it may actually be fine...now I'm sad again...

I need to take a nap now.

Awwh kiddo, I am sorry! Try sticking to a speed around 4 and see how it does. Slide the speed over gradually too. Make sure the KA is level on your counter too, I actually had it make a weird noise because it wasn't level. Oh, are all of the feet in place? I ran it one day and it seemed level but made a weird noise. For fun, I turned it over and a rubber foot was missing. Hadn't noticed it coming off and with so many feet it still felt level. The female cat had noticed it though, took me two days to find it underneath the china cabinet.
Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it being re-furbished at all. Often they are taken back for no good reason at all and they are checked out thoroughly before being sold again.
Hugs Squirrelly

Candygram Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candygram Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 3:54am
post #36 of 40

I just accidently clicked on the "report as a bad post" icon!!! I don't even know which post I did it on! I'm SORRY!!!!! It was an accident. But it was on this subject. Anyway, I didn't know whom to email so I just posted it. Sorry.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 12:24pm
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candygram

I just accidently clicked on the "report as a bad post" icon!!! I don't even know which post I did it on! I'm SORRY!!!!! It was an accident. But it was on this subject. Anyway, I didn't know whom to email so I just posted it. Sorry.

you're ok, there's nothing to take care of, it happens all the time. When you hit the report post, all it does is send the name of the author of the post of where you hit the button, and your name, thats all and then the moderators, or admin can either delete that post of edit etc. You're ok,
but thanks for your concern.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 3:00pm
post #38 of 40

I ALWAYS use my wisk! Never have any problems with anything, and my cakes are moist, dense, level, and all of the other good things we want from cake!

cat121481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat121481 Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 3:08pm
post #39 of 40

I have been wanting a stand mixer and did not want to spend the money for a KA. Well, the other day hubby comes home with a 20% off coupon good for Hamilton Beach if you purchase from their website. So, now I am really considering the Hamilton Beasch. It seems like the best option for my budget.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 3:11pm
post #40 of 40

I think Hamilton Beach makes the new one that starts itself out slow and then ramps up to speed to keep the dry ingredients from becoming airborne! I saw that on a kitchen show thought it was really cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%