What The %&^$!

Decorating By MindiBrad Updated 2 Apr 2005 , 4:15pm by MindiBrad

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 2 Apr 2005 , 3:32am
post #1 of 5

I have no clue what just happened to my icing (or the cake itself, for that matter!). Thank goodness it is a "practice cake"

I usually bake & decorate on the same day, but I have been hearing how much better it is if you bake the cake the day before, so that is what I did. I usually make yellow cake, but I told my neighbor that I was making her another cake and she requested chocolate. So I made it (just a box), but this time I used half milk/half water since so many of you seem to prefer it. I let the 2 layers completely cool, then stored them overnight in the Wilton Cake taker.

Mixed up my chocolate buttercream - I can do this in my sleep. I also had about 2 cups of white buttercream that has been sitting in the fridge - added that to the batch, since I had torted each layer and would need extra icing. Added corn syrup to thin.

Well - not only does my icing have a TON or "air bubbles" in it, it keeps falling off the cake and pulling up crumbs! I have it sitting in the fridge right now, hoping that I can smooth it out with a hot knife....but this is making me mad! Any idea what I did wrong?

4 replies
Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 2 Apr 2005 , 3:59am
post #2 of 5

Usually your icing (especially with milk added) will get air bubbles when mixed at a high speed. That's fine, to get rid of those pesky air bubbles, just run your mixer on the lowest speed for a few minutes after you are done mixing on the high speed.

MindiBrad Posted 2 Apr 2005 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 5

I think I managed to salvage it. The hot knife trick worked a bit...then I just covered it with ganache and chocolate!
LL

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 2 Apr 2005 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 5

that is an interesting cake...what is the blue? colored white chocolate??? Wow it looks very inviting....you did a superb job!

MindiBrad Posted 2 Apr 2005 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 5

The blue is just blue candy melts that I melted and marbled with some brown chocolate. I cut some chocolate in ribbons and stuck them in the sides and I just broke the marbled chocolate up and stuck it in the top.....keep in mind that this "salvage job" was done last night at 12:00am after I had had 2 Quebecois beers <grin>

the cake is already at my neighbor's house. I give all my practice cakes away to neighbors.......2 reasons: 1) the cake isn't in my house so I can't eat it (the "diet defense") and 2) I have about 6 neighbors who want me to make a birthday cake for their children in the next few months

Mindi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%