Extension Work How Do I???

Decorating By stlalohagal Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 11:10pm by jules06

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:20am
post #1 of 16

Improve?
I know I used a larger tip to start. I've never tried this at all and I've only been taking the Wilton classes since September. I've been so wanting to try this elegant effect that I had the whole back side of my Wilton Course 4 Fondant/Gumpaste class final cake sitting there blank and it was just screaming for decoration... Ok, it wasn't screaming I was just dying to try this! icon_biggrin.gif

Can anyone give me some feedback... tips, tricks, hints... I think my RI was to thin too. It was sort of runny and I think it should be a stiff consistency right? Can this be done using BC too? I can't wait to do a whole cake in this. Also, this cake was covered in MMF can I do it on the side of a crusted BC cake?

Thanks for the feedback... I really hesitated in posting this photo. I know it's not perfect but ya gota start somewhere!

- Paula
LL

15 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:06am
post #2 of 16

It doesn't have to be perfect for us to enjoy seeing it, it is lovely and you did a nice job. The only thing I would suggest is a smaller tip, like a #1. and yes, a bit stiffer royal icing and the lines a little closer together. I will leave it up to our Aussie and New Zealander girls to give you some tips, I haven't worked with extension work since 1972. Here is one I did in the Australian class I took that year, oh so long ago. It wasn't perfect either, but I loved doing it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=4

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 7:14am
post #3 of 16

Looks like you made a good start. Once you get your icing right, and use a smaller tip, you can practice making straight, even lines.

It might help to overpipe some lines on waxed paper, it will help with the even measure.

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 8:35am
post #4 of 16

I'd say that you've got a good start with extension work... Aussie's tend to do most of our cake are in royal icing & fondant - guess it comes from the UK lineage.

Anyways... just a couple of tips
1. you need a stiffer mix of royal icing. when you are mixing, when the icing looses the "glossy" look then it is heading to the right consistency. Anything thinner will lead to the icing drooping or spreading.
2. you need a fine tip #1 or #2 at the largest... this gives the best fine detail. practicing on a larger tip isn't bad but there is a big difference when you are doing things like lacework (or extension) the feel is just a little different.
3. practice practice practice...you've got the right idea.. .now you just need to perfect it.

HTH

-- Fi

PS: if you add a little cream of tartar this will help the icing harden even more. However, it will break down over time so just add a little pinch more if you notice this happening.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:07am
post #5 of 16

It looks great!! The advice I would give is to prop your cake on an angle toward you. I usually put a book or two under the back of the cake, then a piece of foam on top of the book and under the front of the board also, so it won't slip. Your vertical lines will then be straight down, not slanted.

I wouldn't suggest using BC, although I've never tried it. You need a firm icing so it won't collapse with any movement.

Keep practicing!!

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 16

It looks like your RI does need to be a bit thicker ,so your extension lines come away from the side of the cake - once you get the hang of it, it's a cinch to do ! icon_biggrin.gif

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 16

I've used BC just to practice, to get the hang of how to do a technique. I don't love working with RI, so I find practicing before I need to do it for real helps a bit.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 16

Wow! Looks like you are off to a great start and I admire you for even attempting the extension/string work!
Keep posting pics as you go along..............this is very interesting to me and thank you for sharing it! icon_smile.gif

stlalohagal Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 16

Ok, I'm hoping to try this again tonight as I had some leftover batter, but I wasn't going to cover the cake in MMF if I don't have to... no one answered if I can do this on a cake iced in BC or if it's strictly for Fondant covered cakes. I agree that I don't think using BC, other than to practice accuracy would be to look at when it was done.

Thanks!!

- Paula

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 16

Sure, you can do this on buttercream. But, I would use a crusting recipe to give the royal something to stick to.

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 16

The grease from the buttercream will eventually break down the royal icing. So, you might be able to practice on the buttercream, but it won't last for a long time.

Good job! I enjoyed seeing it!

stlalohagal Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 16

OK, Here's my next attempt... this was just a single layer 6" as I had some leftover batter. I also sort of set myself up for a bit of a challenge putting it on this plate with a curved up lip...

I used a tip #1 as it's the smallest I've got. I also added the corn starch to the RI but then I made it to thick and added water so I may have added to much and made it to thin again. I have the worst trouble getting thick and thin right, especially in RI. Anyway, my strings kept breaking at the start. I finally got rolling but was still challenged by the lip of the plate. I think that my be the cause too for some of my droopy strings where they kind of sagged at the bottom bridge.

I also loved to tip on angling the plate towards you. That helped, especially with the plate rim.

Let me know what you all think... I think I'll post in my gallery too as I think it came out pretty good though I know I still need lots of practice. Thanks all!!!

- Paula
LL

joby1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joby1 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 16

That looks great!!! Very impressed. I have not been brave enough to try this yet.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:35pm
post #14 of 16

To do this technique, the royal must be made from real egg whites and yes more stiff. I've taken classes where the instructor couldn't stress enough that it should be real egg whites. Use tips 1
or 0

stlalohagal Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixterfsu

To do this technique, the royal must be made from real egg whites and yes more stiff. I've taken classes where the instructor couldn't stress enough that it should be real egg whites. Use tips 1
or 0

Do you have a recipe for RI with the real egg whites. All I have is the one for the powdered stuff. I'm going to order a tip #0 as all I can get locally is a 1 so far that I've found. Thanks for the info.

- Paula

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 11:10pm
post #16 of 16

Here's one recipe for RI :

1 egg white,at room temperature
200 gram pure icing sugar

Beat egg white lightly.Sift icing sugar,add gradually to egg white & mix to form creamy,soft consistency.
Keep adding icing sugar gradually to get thickness you desire

icon_biggrin.gif julie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%