Fed Up With Dry Foam!

Baking By acookieobsession Updated 10 Jan 2006 , 2:01am by kmcguire

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 32

I typically make a number of cookie bouquets each month. I have to tell you though...my LEAST favorite thing about them is getting something to stick the sticks into. I normally using dry foam from Michael's. However, they only come in the one rectangular size. So when I use a round container...I have to piece it all together. I do cover it with crinkle paper, but i feel it looks unprofessional when the customer is emptying the container to reuse. Plus I have to glue gun it in....

So I have heard several people mention using candy clay. How does that work. is it expensive to buy in bluk...is it hard to use..does it ruin the container....dry crack...etc.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

Julia

31 replies
MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 32

I would think candy clay would be expensive for that use... what about just making a basic salt dough (play dough)? It's non-toxic, you can tint it, and it's pretty cheap to make...and it'll dry hard in a day or two (I don't know if the sticks would release properly, but they won't move around like they could with something that won't dry)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 32

a tip I saw somewhere...

go to Lowes or Home Depot

get the insulating foam that comes in a squirt can for use in filling cracks

squirt into pot....remember it will double to triple or more in size (see instructions on can).

instant custom fit foam

I've also heard of this being done to make cake dummies for any shape pan.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 32

What a super tip Doug! Thanks for sharing. thumbs_up.gif

acookieobsession Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 32

That's a great idea doug. I guess I would have to test to see if it would release the cookie. I'd hate for them to pull the cookie off the stick! icon_smile.gif

thanks for the help everyone.

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 32

Let us know if it releases the stick. That would be wonderful to use.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 32

Seems like you could insert them after it dries. If it's too hard, you could start the holes with a screwdriver or something like that.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 32

Here is my thought after reading this post:

If you were to use a thin foam or clay platform in the bottom of your pot, insert large straws where you'd want your sticks positioned. Then fill in with the insulating foam, which should fill around the straws thus enabling those to be used as the stick inserts....does that make any sense or is it too much trouble to go through that many steps?

You could cut the straws off when finished so they wouldn't show, and they should all be placed evenly...no? I haven't done this myself, but why wouldn't that work?
Just thinking out loud today!

Doug Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 32

jscakes:

probably would work, so long as foam expands evenly and doesn't shove the stick around.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 32

that's kind of the way I was thinking there...
Someone try it and let us know!

I have straws, lollipop sticks, ummmm, that's about it on my list of ingredients!

Ha, I don't have a "Pot to ___ In" so I can't do it!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 2:09am
post #11 of 32

One more tip... swimming pool fun noodles. You know those giant noodles the kids use in the pool? They don't fall apart and they are round. icon_lol.gif Just cut off the slice you need and put in containter.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 2:18am
post #12 of 32

Insulting foam used for a food container doesn't sound right. I know people aren't supposed to eat the container, but still.....

I like the pool noodle idea. The noodles are cheap and are big enough to use for many cookie bouqets.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 4:59am
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblezmom

Insulting foam used for a food container doesn't sound right. I know people aren't supposed to eat the container, but still.....

I like the pool noodle idea. The noodles are cheap and are big enough to use for many cookie bouqets.

Funny you should say that, Jscakes and I were having a discussion about that in the background, about whether the insulating foam is now safe for this kind of use.
I remember when it first came out, it was toxic to some degree when you were spraying it. Not sure about when it was dry, though - if it had contact with food or food items like pans. It could well have changed in the last few years, but I remember that from using it to insulate years back.
I have a brother-in-law that is an expert about these things, but he is sick at the moment so I don't want to call him.
I guess the best thing is to read the label and perhaps contact the manufacturer.
Hugs Squirrelly

Doug Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 5:02am
post #14 of 32

the foam should only come in contact w/ the sticks, not the cookie. To be extra sure could cover the top of the foam w/ plastic wrap or even a coating of royal icing (tinted black to look like dirt).

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 5:11am
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

the foam should only come in contact w/ the sticks, not the cookie. To be extra sure could cover the top of the foam w/ plastic wrap or even a coating of royal icing (tinted black to look like dirt).

I was also concerned with it coming into contact with the cake pan when used for dummies. The finish of the pan too.
Hugs Squirrelly

Doug Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 5:16am
post #16 of 32

well, I do hope people would WASH the pan afterwards....the pans, being metal aren't going to absorb much of anything. Pretty impervious.

the tip I saw said to even go so far as to light grease the pan so the foam would pop out easily.

If really fanatical about it, line pan w/ plastic wrap..then foam

Personally, I'd be more worried about the fumes while curing, and would only want to do this in a very well ventilated area.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 5:23am
post #17 of 32
Quote:

well, I do hope people would WASH the pan afterwards....the pans, being metal aren't going to absorb much of anything. Pretty impervious.

the tip I saw said to even go so far as to light grease the pan so the foam would pop out easily.

If really fanatical about it, line pan w/ plastic wrap..then foam

Personally, I'd be more worried about the fumes while curing, and would only want to do this in a very well ventilated area.

See that is part of what I remember from working with the original stuff years ago. I know that the products have changed a lot because I remember when they only had the stuff that hugely expanded, haha, I remember this because friends put so much around a window, the window wouldn't open anymore.
Some of the Wilton pans are easily ruined, haha, ask anyone who has put a character pan in the dishwasher.
I just wonder if when people use a combination dummy and real cake if there is any risk.
Anyway, it is an interesting topic, I have often wondered if you could use this foam for things like that.
Like I said, it could be all perfectly safe these days, products change so much.
Hugs Squirrelly

Doug Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 5:43am
post #18 of 32

just read the label of the can of latex based foam I have...
it has only a 10% expansion rate...so have to fill anything 90% full and says it has water clean-up (even says all you need to do for skin contact is soap and water) and can be molded and tooled.

It's major warnings are fumes and explosions (propellant is BUTANE and PROPANE mix!!!) they emphasize doing it well ventelated, all flame and spark sources gone.

and I checked the MSDS (material safety data sheet) and it's main precautions were as listed above ....avoid anything that might spark a flame..... and suggested safety glasses (always a good idea anyway when working with building materials)

as for combining foam dummy w/ real... as others do, wrap dummy first in plastic wrap (after all, the styrofoam most use of dummies is NOT rated as food safe either) and then frost away. by the time it is frosted and put on cake board, etc. shouldn't be anymore a problem than regular styrofoam.

Doug Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 5:45am
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Some of the Wilton pans are easily ruined, haha, ask anyone who has put a character pan in the dishwasher.

dishwasher?????

what's that

mine are those two things at the end of my arms that mess up all my spelling and typing!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 5:59am
post #20 of 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

dishwasher?????

what's that

mine are those two things at the end of my arms that mess up all my spelling and typing!

Haha, you are too funny kiddo!
Thanks for the information from the can of insulation. Haha, remember when they were not available in different expansion ratios, it was pretty funny then. People were over foaming everything Well, not really funny because they were bending window frames and such.
Haha, I didn't know what a dishwasher was for years either, haha! But once I got one, I quickly learned, haha! Hubby still prefers your method though.
Hugs Squirrelly

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 3:17pm
post #21 of 32

The Wilton folks recommend one of the ways to make the "dummy character cakes" is to do just that - fill the pan with the expanding foam to make a form. I would think they would have figured out if it wasn't a good idea or not before telling folks to do that. (??)

acookieobsession Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 3:37pm
post #22 of 32

I have also seen a type of packing foam that squishes and then expands to the size of the container. I was doing product research in the begining and I ordered from a bouquet company. They used this white fowm that was sturdy enough to hold the sticks, but you could squish it and put in the container. Then, it would be secure.

However, since I can not come up with anyother name than "squishy packing foam" I have had little luck searching for it on the internet....

Any thoughts?

Also, my DH says that the foam stuff gets erally hard. So you wouold definately have to find a way to make the hole and then put stick in...

BTW, you guys are great...so very helpful and creative!

Doug Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 8:25pm
post #23 of 32

the aerosol foams will get hard, but not so hard a scredriver (phillips) or cut off piece of wire coat hanger wouldn't be able to make a hole in it.

I'd use the one the latex foams, tho' be careful about the fumes (note my earlier post)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 10:16pm
post #24 of 32

I've used candy clay with a cookie bouquet as well as a candy bouquet. You don't have to completely fill the container with it, so you really only need enough to give you a good base to put your sticks into. One of the pluses to the candy clay is that you don't need to use anything else to add weight to the container like you do when you have a light weight container and styrofoam.

I also like the fact that it is edible and you don't have to worry about it coming in contact with your cookies or candies. Plus I like to use containers that the people can use after the bouquet is gone, such as candle holders or mugs, then they can easily remove the candy clay and it it.

The recipe I have for candy clay is one package of Wilton Candy Melts to 1/3 cup corn syrup. Melt the Candy Melts then stir in the corn syrup. Spread on a wax paper covered cookie sheet and let sit over night.

Doug Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 10:22pm
post #25 of 32

hmmmm....

well then forget the cookies and just give me a really big batch of dark chocolate candy clay!!!!......and it won't be going in any ol' mug/pot/etc.

(mine!...all mine!)

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 10:49pm
post #26 of 32
Quote:

hmmmm....

well then forget the cookies and just give me a really big batch of dark chocolate candy clay!!!!......and it won't be going in any ol' mug/pot/etc.

(mine!...all mine!)

See added benifit to using it!! icon_wink.gif

I also like to add candies in the container as a little something extra. Red Hots or Conversational Candy Hearts work great for V-day. Jelly beans for Easter. Candy Corn for Halloween. icon_smile.gif

acookieobsession Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 10:53pm
post #27 of 32

[quote="TexasSugar"]I've used candy clay with a cookie bouquet as well as a candy bouquet. You don't have to completely fill the container with it, so you really only need enough to give you a good base to put your sticks into. One of the pluses to the candy clay is that you don't need to use anything else to add weight to the container like you do when you have a light weight container and styrofoam.
quote]

Would you say that it is very heavy? I ship alot and I try to keep the weight down if possible.....Thanks for the recipe.

julia

TexasSugar Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 12:50am
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

Would you say that it is very heavy? I ship alot and I try to keep the weight down if possible.....Thanks for the recipe.

I guess it depends on how big your container is or how much you put in it. My containers aren't big, and I haven't used a full batch in one yet. Since it is just made up of candy melts and corn syrup it'd only be as heavy as the candy melts are.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 1:06am
post #29 of 32

k sounds like most ya'll have concerns about the foam junk in the pans n all. how bout this idea: carefully line the pan itself with the saran wrap or plastic wrap n such. That way everyone is happy the foam doesn't come into contact with any surfaces that you don't want it to or maybe even tinfoil would work for this. (to line the pan of course)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 4:35am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

The Wilton folks recommend one of the ways to make the "dummy character cakes" is to do just that - fill the pan with the expanding foam to make a form. I would think they would have figured out if it wasn't a good idea or not before telling folks to do that. (??)

Yes kiddo, you are right, didn't know they were recommending it. Just check the can to be safe.
I have used styrofoam insulation pieces, some styrofoam peanuts with some tissue paper stuffed on top but then, I am not shipping.
For some things, I just make a tape grid or "frog" out of tape and place the sticks into the holes of the grid.
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%