Pregnant Belly Cakes

Decorating By rlsaxe Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 2:58am by rlsaxe

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:01am
post #1 of 14

I saw a few absolutely beautiful pregnant belly cakes and am interested in trying one out. The people that have posted theirs must have private profiles because their names are not listed in the member list. Can anyone give me some pointers for trying this sort of cake? I'd like to do one in April. Thanks!

13 replies
HoosierMomOf5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoosierMomOf5 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:22am
post #2 of 14

If you click on the screen name under the photo, it will take you to the person's profile. You can pm them from there.

I made one of these cakes. I did a trial run because I wasn't sure how to get that dress just *so*. I cut it freehand and it turned out GREAT! I thought "piece o' cake", the real one will be nothing at all. icon_cool.gif

I...WAS...WRONG! LOL

I wish there was a template or something somewhere for these dresses...just for goofnuts like me who think they can conquer anything with little to no experience. icon_rolleyes.gif I have gotten good at inventing cover-ups for my screw-ups. hehehe

rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:24am
post #3 of 14

I tried looking them up, but there wasn't a link to either email OR pm the people who made the cakes! I did make a mini one myself and it was quite simple. But now you got me worried! Maybe I should try a true size version for practice before hand. Is your cake posted?

enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:31am
post #4 of 14

I have one posted you should be able to look at.
I did it a little different and didn't have a dress that completely covered the belly.
I used parchment paper and layed it over the cake and ruff sketched the top to make a pattern to use to cut out the fondant.
Wish I would have saved the pattern that was before I started thinking it would be easier to save than to redo.

HoosierMomOf5 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:31am
post #5 of 14

I didn't mean to frighten you! icon_redface.gif I had seven kids storming through my house that day. I think I was already a little flustered. Fondant that wouldn't cooperate just pushed me to a whole new realm of insanity. lol

Yes, mine is posted in my photos. Turned out pretty good I think...considering the chaos that was playing out around me.

Vanessa

rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:39am
post #6 of 14

Hoosiermom, when you did your trial run, did you do it full size or mini version? Also...is there a way to do trial runs with fondant WITHOUT having to make a cake! Not that I MIND making a cake, but I'm still trying to lose the weight from my last child's birth 6 months ago!

rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:46am
post #7 of 14

just saw your prego belly cake, enchanted. It's so pretty. I wish I had a shirt like that when I was pregnant! Thanks for your ideas of the pattern too.

enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:49am
post #8 of 14

rlsaxe
Thats funny you said that the girl I made the cake for wanted a shirt like that too.

rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:50am
post #9 of 14

hoosiermom...just saw your cake too, IT's GREAT! I LOVE that saying. So funny AND true! I wouldn't guess that you ran into any problems with the fondant.

HoosierMomOf5 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:50am
post #10 of 14

For my trial run, I used some leftover bc...frosted a couple of muffins and my half of my sports ball pan (frosted that too! lol). I've got more than a few pounds from my pg's. I didn't want to eat extra cake either. lol

rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:51am
post #11 of 14

well, it's such a pretty looking shirt. I love the waistline! Heck...I'd wear a shirt like that TODAY!

rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:54am
post #12 of 14

so you just frosted the pan? Did that work out well? I guess it couldn't be much different than a cake, right? I know some do their prego bellies with the oval shaped pan. You used the one half of a ball pan. I wonder if it matters which one I use. You used muffins for the boobs or cupcakes?

CINDY1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CINDY1956 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:56am
post #13 of 14

icon_redface.gif Can I ask whats under the fondant dress to make the belly?

rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:58am
post #14 of 14

it's a half of a ball pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%