Need Ideas For Pool Cake

Decorating By jcent424 Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 9:23pm by mdutcher

jcent424 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcent424 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone!

My son is on the Special Olympics Swim Team and I am making the end of year cake. I was thinking of making a sheet cake of a pool with the Special Olympics logo at the bottom of the pool but I have a question. I am VERY VERY new at this and was thinking of using gumpaste (first time) as the logo and then putting tinted gel over the logo as if it were at the bottom of the pool.

Will the gumpaste hold up under the gel?? I would hate to go thru all the trouble only to have a complete mess.

If you have any other ideas for the cake, all opinions are welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks much!

4 replies
gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 5

I did a pool cake last summer, round. Used fondant on the sides and put tinted piping gel on top for the water. I should have let the fondant stiffen up some before adding the gel, and then only added the gel at the last minute. The gel softened the fondant considerably and the gel seeped down the side and bulged big time, then leaked out the bottom. The pix is in my photos. Just my personal thoughts from my one time near disaster. I love the logo on the bottom though. Another thing would be to carve out a hollow in the top of the sheet to keep the gel in, it wouldnt need to be very deep., that way you wouldnt have to worry about seepage. If using BC on the bottom of the pool it tends to ball up in the piping gel some, I like the idea of using fondant/gumpaste on the bottom with the logo on it. Yeah Yeah!!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 5

I would do a trial run of the gum paste with piping gel over it--not sure. But if that doesn't work out, I think it would look good to do your sheet cake, with the top being blue buttercream and white around the sides of the cake. Then you could put your logo on the front side--and maybe flags in each corner of the pool...a diving board, etc.

You could also make little fondant faces with little goggles or swim caps on and have a few swimmers either in or around the pool.

jcent424 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcent424 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the ideas! Sounds like I should do a couple of practice runs before I make the actual cake. Once I complete it, I will post pics.

Thanks again for your help!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 5

I did a pool cake the shape of our new neighborhood pool for a HOA meeting last fall. I used jello for the pool and did cake around the jello (see pic). If you are interested in that idea, you could do your logo underneath the jello and use saran wrap to seperate it so the jello doesn't affect the logo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%