Covering A Ball Cake With Rolled Fondant

Decorating By Bitsy Updated 4 Jan 2006 , 8:50pm by antonia74

Bitsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bitsy Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 1:22am
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake for my sisters baby shower. I am going to make baby faces with the ball cake pan, and I think the best way to cover them with be with fondant. I am not sure how to keep the fondant from overlapping when I place it over the cake. Any suggestions???

3 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 1:32am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsy

I am making a cake for my sisters baby shower. I am going to make baby faces with the ball cake pan, and I think the best way to cover them with be with fondant. I am not sure how to keep the fondant from overlapping when I place it over the cake. Any suggestions???

Bitsy
Let me know how you go with that. I do a lot of covering of cakes with fondant, but when i tried to make a soccer ball with the ball pan, my cake got deformed under the weight of it. I suppose I should have put a board and dowls in the middle for this not to happen. I made the cake mudcake, which is firm. So let me know how you go.
cheers
Nati

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 1:37am
post #3 of 4

I have found that after you level the bottom and you put a thin layer of icing on, let it set to dry. Roll your fondant a slight bit thicker than for other cake shapes. Place it on the cake and gently pull the edges out like a skirt. You have to work it down over the lower 2/3ds of the cake gently. Work out every wrinkle before you form it to the cake. This takes alot of patiences but works for me every time. icon_smile.gif

Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

Sherik

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 4

Any weird shape of cake I need to fondant is MUCH easier to do if you put the crumb-coated cake in the freezer first for an hour or two. I use non-crusting IMB only, so that there is a good surface for the fondant to stick to.

As the cake thaws, don't touch the fondant because it perspires ever so slightly. That evaporates off the fondant beautifully in just a few hours though. Works like a charm. I semi-freeze nearly every novelty cake I do this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%