Large Fondant Pearls Strung Together With Edible Product?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 2:06am by TexasSugar

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 12:27am
post #1 of 14

I plan to make a string of pearls to look like it is hanging down like a necklace from the top of my shell cake...The problem is this cake is for competition and everything must be edible..I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what I could use to string them with?? I can use fishing line or anything like that..it all must be edible.

Laurel icon_wink.gif

13 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 12:58am
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I plan to make a string of pearls to look like it is hanging down like a necklace from the top of my shell cake...The problem is this cake is for competition and everything must be edible..I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what I could use to string them with?? I can use fishing line or anything like that..it all must be edible.

Laurel icon_wink.gif

I think you have answered your own question.

so, now..how large are the pearls? maybe you can string them on licorice string.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:27am
post #3 of 14

Maybe someone here could make you a long, thin strand of Sugar Veil and mail it to you. Having never used that stuff, I'm not sure it would work, but it sure looks like it would.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:35am
post #4 of 14

[/quote] maybe you can string them on licorice string.[/quote]

You are a freakin' genius! Do you know how many times I've strung them on invisible thread and complained the whole time b/c it wasn't edible? Totally going in the "best things I've ever learned on CC" category.

...and obviously I don't know how to make the whole quote thing work yet!

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:38am
post #5 of 14

Edible or non-toxic?

I was thinking Dental floss, but if you have to actually be able to eat it, maybe that's not such a good idea icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 14

Oh ..I meant to say I can't use fishing line!!!! Silly me!!! Licorice would be to thick I think!!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 14

How about uncooked spaghetti noodles?? The thinnest ones you can find (or make your own out of fondant or gumpaste if you have a pasta maker). It qualifies to meet the rules. You'll have to play with short/long pieces, but I think it would work. It doesn't have to be sugar, right??

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 14

I hope you figure out something because I would like to know how too. But if not, I would try gluing them together with royal icing.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 14

Are they going to hang "free", or could you just attach each pearl right to the cake really close together so they *appear* to be a string of pearls?

I can't think of anything string-like that's edible and that thin, and strong enough to hold the weight...What about a super-thin rolled line of gumpaste dried into the shape of the "loop" of string? But then it'd be hard to get the pearls on there without breaking it...

sorry...I'm not much help

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Oh ..I meant to say I can't use fishing line!!!! Silly me!!! Licorice would be to thick I think!!

what if you cut it?

JamesSweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamesSweetie Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 14

I am SO glad you asked this, because I have the exact same problem! I'm entering a competition, no commercial decorations allowed (nothing non edible), and I want to make a pearl necklace. I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to use the licorice since its not something I've made, I guess I'd have to check icon_confused.gif I too have thought about just using some gumpaste glue to stick them together on the cake, and hope they stay there!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:56am
post #12 of 14

Has anyone ever tried rice noodles...they are much thinner than pasta...I wonder if they were cooked slightly if they would be pliable enough to use...they are white too....let me know...now I am curious

GeorgiaGingerbread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #13 of 14

Check out www.firstimpressionsmolds.com

They have 'Perfect Pearl' molds for gumpaste/fondant. We used them in class with Nicholas Lodge and I purchased the one that has three different sizes of pearls. With this mold, you would not have to string together the pearls, as they are attached to look like a string of pearls.

Good Luck!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #14 of 14

I have a thought of how I would attempt it, but since I have never tried it I can't promise it would work. I would make the pearls and string them together with something , either thread or maybe wire. I would 'glue' the pearls together as you string them. You can dry it over a cake pan or something else if you need it to hang off the edge. Then once dry remove the string and they should stay stuck together.

I would probably use a needle that was a little larger so it makes a bigger whole than the thread and every so often pull the thread one way or another to make sure it isn't sticking and you can still remove it later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%