I'm Hooked!

Decorating By Zmama Updated 27 Feb 2007 , 5:52pm by HollyPJ

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:48am
post #1 of 23

I'm hooked on freezing cakes! I made a cake a month ago, and had extra batter so I baked an extra layer and froze it. Three layers of plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Also froze a large bullet of crumb coat consistency frosting.

I am working on a practice cake tonight (chocolate) and my guy doesnt like chocolate, so I thawed the WASC layer for him to eat. It was just as moist and fresh-tasting as just made! The frosting kept great also, just one layer of plastic wrap with no air, and it has no freezer taste.

Add me to the cake freezing list!

22 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:11am
post #2 of 23

It certainly does make life more convenient icon_biggrin.gif

(As long as you have enough room in the freezer!)

SweetTreatsbyCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyCarol Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:16am
post #3 of 23

Uh huh, I'm seriously considering buying an upright freezer. I'm making a root beer float cake for a coworkers birthday this week, and tonight I successfully figured out how to put four 9-inch round cakes, plus 3 of those 9-INCH cake pans with ice cream in them in my freezer that I swore was already F-U-L-L!!! But I did it!! thumbs_up.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:16am
post #4 of 23

I have always been a fan of freezing cakes. As long as they are wrapped well. They seem to come out moister than before! And what a convenience! icon_smile.gif

tammylenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammylenz Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:19am
post #5 of 23

I just have to ask. Is the purpose of freezing so you can make a cake way in advance and keep it fresh or is it to make it more moist?

I made a cake in advance just once and froze it all wrapped up while it was still warm (a little) and I didn't find it that easy to work with once it was thawed. I ended up tossing it and starting over because I had such a hard time working with it.

SweetTreatsbyCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyCarol Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:22am
post #6 of 23

I've never frozen any of my cakes before, but the reason I'm doing it this time is because its an ice cream cake and everything has to be frozen hard and then put together into layers---4 layers of cake & 3 layers of root beer flavored ice cream icon_biggrin.gif I'm sooo excited for the finished product!!!

tammylenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammylenz Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:24am
post #7 of 23

oooooo, that sounds so yummy!!!! I LOVE root beer floats.

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:43am
post #8 of 23

I've noticed that there has been a a bit of a a debate regarding the freezing practice. So is there really a great chance of bacteria growth if you wrap and freeze a cake that quickly. I mean I'd really hate to make someone ill. When you work, have small kids and a husband, it sure would make things a bit easier to fill orders. Feedback would be greatly appreciated! icon_lol.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:57am
post #9 of 23

I wrapped mine after it cooled all the way, then didn't unwrap until it thawed completely.

I would imagine from this that even a fully dec'd cake with only bc would freeze well. Have to try that next.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:07am
post #10 of 23

Zmama... proceed with caution on the freezing a fully dec'ed BC cake. When you thaw it out, it tends to sweat and make the colors run. It somewhat depends on the weather, etc. but when it happens, you want to beat someone to death with a blunt object!! Usually yourself for wasting your time like that!! icon_wink.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:14am
post #11 of 23

I just froze some cakes for a Saturday event, and also froze some from yesterday. shhh.gif

Sorry to hijack the thread, but if I only put it in the pan an then wrapped the pan in plastic wrap, do you guys think it will be okay? It's just for the "emergency" cake (in case something happens to any of the other ones), but do you all think it'll be fine?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:36am
post #12 of 23

I am a freezing advocate too. I think the cakes are moister, easier to work with when they thaw and it just saves so much time. You can have your fresh baked today cakes, I'll take a frozen one every time.

Nick yours will be fine, your only freezing it for such a short time, if you were going to keep it any longer I would wrap it again with saran.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 11:32am
post #13 of 23

l freeze all my cake's, much easier to work with. you can pretty much do anything to a frozen cake....lol

I wonder why people have issue's with doing it, lots of other foods are frozen and still eaten without question.

Nearly every cake on the first two pages of my gallery have been frozen, some are for my kids the rest have all been for customers and i have not had one complaint regarding the freshness of the cake etc....

i have six mud cakes (3 tier cake, 2 cakes per tier) in the freezer at the moment that will be taken out on thursday and decorated for a wedding cake on saturday.

thats my 2 cents worth on the topic.....lol

cheers

kylie

Melvira Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:15pm
post #14 of 23

nglez, I would personally recommend taking them out of the pan and fully wrapping them in saran wrap. (A few layers) That will protect the freshness.

I totally agree that they at least seem more moist to me after they've been frozen. I prefer them that way! I also like them served slightly cold. To me, cool cake is more moist and delicious. I have no clue why. icon_confused.gif

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:25pm
post #15 of 23

I'm one of those who recently converted to freezing cakes and I love it. I have a sister how is so critical of everything I do. I find it funny that she says that my cakes are much better now than they used to be. The only thing I'm doing different is freezing them. So it even pleases the most pickiest people. thumbs_up.gif

bridgett413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett413 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm
post #16 of 23

I've never frozen a cake before, but with the schedule I have coming up for March (cake and work) any advantage with time would be a plus. How exactly do I do it. Do you let them cool completely and then wrap? What do you wrap with? And do you let them thaw completely before decorating? Sorry for so many dumb questions, I've just never done it before and I don't want to screw anything up!

Melvira Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:41pm
post #17 of 23

What I do personally is let the cake half cool, it can still be warm. Then wrap it very well in several layers of plastic wrap. You can top that will a layer of foil, but it's not required if you're freezing for a short time. (I usually only bake a few days in advance, so don't normally need foil!) When you remove it from the freezer, let it mostly thaw in the plastic wrap for best results. I let them thaw before frosting them so that you don't have problems with condensation coming through the icing and messing up what you've just done. I have had that happen and it makes me QUITE angry! icon_mad.gif I will put them together while still frozen if I need to carve the cake into a 3-D shape, but I still let it finish thawing before frosting! Good luck, I think you'll like it!

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:42pm
post #18 of 23

I'm a huge advocate of frozen cakes because they seem to taste so much better...I've even frozen them overnight only to turn around and decorate them the next day.

Here's what I do:

Let cake cool completely, double or triple wrap layers in plastic wrap, wrap in aluminum foil, then place in a clean trash bag and squeeeze out all the air and put in freezer. When you are ready to defrost, take the entire package out and put on counter top 3-6 hours until thawed. Don't take out of gabage bag until thawed. This works great for me!!!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:50pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhopar33

When you are ready to defrost, take the entire package out and put on counter top 3-6 hours until thawed. Don't take out of gabage bag until thawed. This works great for me!!!

3-6 hours for what size of cake? How long does it normally take to defrost a cake? Does it depend on the cake size?

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:51pm
post #20 of 23

I just started freezing cakes and love it too!

I have frozen a completely decorated cake. (in my photos/construction cake). It was for my son and the party got postponed to the next weekend due to weather.
I just put it in the box and completely wrapped the box with tips I found on here. First in plastic wrap, then newspaper, then heavy duty aluminum foil. It tasted great but the green grass frosting got a little hard. There was a lot of frosting though so it all worked out and I had no complaints.

bridgett413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett413 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:19pm
post #21 of 23

Thanks so much for all your help! I will definately be trying this in the next few days!

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:47pm
post #22 of 23

I've seen lots of posts where fellow bakers warn against freezing a fully decorated cake because the colors could run, so, I generally frost my cake, smooth it, pipe the border, then freeze ut. After I thaw it I can oput on the finishing decorations, etc.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:52pm
post #23 of 23

I am also a cake freezer! I find that they taste just as fresh as when they were made, and sometimes the texture is even better.

I don't use any plastic wrap on mine. I wrap them securely in aluminum foil only. (This is for storage of 1-5 days, I don't know if it would be good for longer).

To thaw, I set the cakes on the counter and open the foil to expose the cake. There is never any condensation or excess moisture. (I'm not in a humid area, though--not sure if that would make a difference). I usually torte and decorate while the cake is still cold. I haven't had any issues with the cold cake ruining the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%