How Do You Keep From Eating

Decorating By middysmom Updated 28 Feb 2007 , 1:55am by middysmom

middysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
middysmom Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:15am
post #1 of 32

i am new and sometimes i get frustrated and i start eating the frosting i need some advice thanks dorothy from tenn

31 replies
amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:31am
post #2 of 32

Brushing your teet really well right before starting or chewing gum while decorating makes a huge difference.

polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:35am
post #3 of 32

I turn my radio on in the kitchen so I can sing.....keeping my mouth moving without eating...

I recently lost 90 lbs and fitness and nutrition have become another passion for me....how odd that the two things I love are so opposite. I find myself "donating" alot of the items I bake to the kids' school, my DH's work, friends, etc. Trying to find a way to mingle my passions...

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:47am
post #4 of 32

Use a very strong toothpaste right before starting to work. If you pop any icing into your mouth, it will taste gross. thumbs_up.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 32

Thanks for the tip Nick my problems is not eating the icing just the thought of it being gross because people will eat the same eating, I just can't bring myself to do that BUT cake scraps they have never made it to cake balls I have a 4 month old baby and still wished I lost 10 lbs and I just can't diet is going all well til I make cake!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 32

you will get sick of it eventually, trust me.

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 32

Chew gum, be strong and throw the scraps in the trash!!! (my weakness is cake batter)

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 32

There will come a time when even the smell of the icing is unpleasent. I really dislike the smell of buttercream, wouldn't think of eating it alone. But, there was a time!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

AMEN! I taught a friend's daughter how to decorate cakes for her 4H project and that's the first warning I gave her: Don't lick your fingers or you'll get sick!

At the end of two hours, she was doing the "I dont' feel gooooooooood!" whine!

Friends comment, "I bet you have cake at your house all the time!" I reply with a straight face, "Bet I don't!"

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 32

Someone on here (sorry I can't remember who) recommended putting a toothpick in your mouth. It actually works. I've used this trick while doing all my cooking.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 32

I don't know how much time it will take for it to lose its appeal for me. I can eat the batter, the scraps, and the icing everytime. Have to laugh at my 2 year old grandson. When he hears the motor to the KA, he is by my side within seconds. Knows there will be cake batter or icing beaters coming soon. The whole family is addicted................. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

There's not enough toothpaste to deter my cravings...............

Diane

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

How true! Funny because I just hit this point after about 6 months of going at it consistently. And I have a MAJOR sweet tooth and very little willpower when it comes to homemade sweets.

I realized I was taking alot of samples and tried to make a point to have only ONE taste IF it was available easily with cake scraps and icing. Just one try to make sure it's ok. Eventually once you know you like your recipes, it's no longer so important to taste every time.

And then I get the cake out of sight ASAP. (after taking pics of course!)... pack it up in a box, and tuck it away until it's going to its final destination. Send them to work with family, friends, whatever.

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 32

When I first started baking/decorating cakes, sure I did eat more than my share of the icing or scraps. Sweets are sweets, who can resist them?

I'm happy to say "I can, now!"

The only tastes I take now are JUST for quality control, to make sure fillings and icings have the right balance. I always bake a small test cake to make sure the recipe works with the icing/fillings of choice, but that test goes straight to work with me, where it's devoured in minutes!

Works every time, and I don't have ANY treats to tempt me laying around my kitchen.

If that doesn't work, I have one other suggestion/ question: Do you have one of those healthy fruit smoothy places nearby called Jamba Juice?
If you do, get a BIG tasty one to sip on during your project. You'll satisfy a craving, and be doing your body good at the same time.

HTH,

~ Scott

committed2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
committed2cake Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 32

I am a bit of a fitness nut too so I have my rules and stick by them...never take the first bite. I had trouble at first with frosting getting all over, and licking my fingers. Usually I dont eat sugar or white flour at all, but even licking fingers counts. So I have a wet wipy on my all the time, and always have an apron on. When things get "out of hand" its on something elso and not my mouth. You will find that if you establish good habits NOW it will be easy to continue. The only time I eat anything is putting it on a plate, sitting down, and donating my time for science. If it is planned you have more control. I have my skinny husband for damage control, he has taste buds to die for.

princess_tonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princess_tonya Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:35pm
post #15 of 32

I made a batch of wasc cupcakes and they never got iced. I ate the whole batch. It took me about three days, but every one of them dissapeared. My husband and his friend ate a couple, but the majority went to me. I need to frost things immediately, I don't reall like frosting, too sweet for me. If I don't, the yummy baked good doesn't stand a chance.

When I get depressed, I make brownie batter and eat the whole bowl. The batters usually taste better than the actual baked goody. My aunt told me this theory once "it has no calories until it is baked" I live by that.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:35pm
post #16 of 32

Keep a sink full of hot soapy water while you're working. As soon as you're done with bowls, spatulas, spoons, beaters, whatever, put it in the sink. Do it immediately, don't hesitate! Once you take the first taste, it's SO HARD to stop. Get temptation out of sight as quickly as you can. It also makes for easier cleanup! Throw cake scraps away immediately. If you want to use them for cake balls or whatever, put them in the freezer right away. If you know you're going to have scraps, make a plan for those scraps BEFORE you bake. If you don't have a plan for them, throw them away.
It's easier to get rid of cake in your kitchen than cake on your hips, that's a battle I'm fighting now!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:47pm
post #17 of 32

If you don't like gum a sour drink like lemonade (not the koolaid kind) or cranberry juice might help.

After a while you get sick of it though, I've always loved sweets but once I started doing cakes alot I don't eat that much any more. My husband laughs about it when I crave cake that I'll make a cake and eat a little tiny piece.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 32

I don't and I'm afraid when it's time to go to the Doctor he is going to have a fit.

LittleMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMom Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:01pm
post #19 of 32

I wear gloves and an apron while I work. Having them on puts me in work mode instead of eating mode.

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:20pm
post #20 of 32

I used to chew a lot of my MMF and love to eat my RI.But after going from 123 lbs to 130 in a few months icon_cry.gif ,I decided I have to stop.Now when Im baking I try to think of how hard I have to exercise to loose a few pounds and that keeps me from eating the icings and the scraps.The gum idea also works really good.

lionladydi Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:34pm
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_tonya

When I get depressed, I make brownie batter and eat the whole bowl. The batters usually taste better than the actual baked goody. My aunt told me this theory once "it has no calories until it is baked" I live by that.

You are a girl after my heart. I do the same thing. I'd ten times rather eat the cookie dough, brownie batter, or cake batter than bake any of them. If I buy frozen cookie dough at the discount grocery, I use most of it to satisfy my hunger for raw cookie dough. Very few get baked. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I had a lady who cooked for me in my cafe years back that went on a very strict diet. She would tie a kerchief around her mouth to keep from tasting everything she cooked. Said it was amazing how many times a spoon went to her mouth in a day's time. The calories add up............... icon_cry.gif

Diane

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:39pm
post #22 of 32

Listernine mouth wash works wonders. A swish will make you avoid eating for hours! icon_wink.gif Otherwise after sampling and eating cake and frosting it will grow old and yucky.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 7:37pm
post #23 of 32

I chew gum. But it's not as much of a problem now, since I don't really like it as much as I used to. But, when I'm working with chocolate- that's a different story!

pieface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieface Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 7:54pm
post #24 of 32

DRINK, DRINK, DRINK! (Water, not the cake batter!)icon_rolleyes.gif
I usually drink a lot of water before and during the cake baking/decorating process. I feel so "stuffed" that I wouldn't dare take a sample. Plus, it's a good way for me to drink more water too. icon_wink.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:05pm
post #25 of 32

OK, never but never bake when you are hungry and always chew gum, works great for me!! Good luck!

lionladydi Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:09pm
post #26 of 32

Guess you guys all mean well with all these ideas to keep from tasting but it surely does take alot of the fun out of my hobby. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:24pm
post #27 of 32

Good idea. The gum idea is great. I'm just now getting to the point to where I don't even like the smell of BC LOL Three birthday parties this weekend so that meant 3 cakes...ugh I'm sick of cake.LOL

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:40am
post #28 of 32

Remember that there are psychological tactics that you can use by association.

Once I got really disgusted after eating a certain cereal because I got extremely nauseous after my daily run (I guess I ate too much) and I stayed away from that cereal for months.

My brain associated the cereal (although it had nothing to do with the nausea) with the nausea and felt nauseous after seeing it or even smelling it.

Just a thought. thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 7:06pm
post #29 of 32

I taste everything once. After it's done and the picture is taken, if it's staying at my house it goes straight into the freezer.

icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 7:33pm
post #30 of 32

I have put on 10 pounds since I started this last cake binge (baking every night after work...and all weekend) I just can't help myself. I will put the batter in the pans, and then I catch myself licking the spoon.... next thing I know I have cake batter from one ear to then next with a big grin on my face and a clean bowl and spoon in front of me icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%