To Eat Or Not Eat- Royal Icing

Decorating By Kos Updated 23 Dec 2005 , 5:37pm by tye

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 13

I'm thinking of making royal icing snowflakes for cupcakes for the weekend. I don't really care for royal icing on cookies so I'm wondering, if you do the color-flow technique with the R.I. and let it harden, do people take them off and toss them, or do they eat them. It will be for mostly men and I kind of figure they eat anything. icon_lol.gif

Thanks,

Kos

12 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 13

I just did a snowflake cake for a party and all the snowflakes were picked off and eaten by the kids!

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 13

I find that they usually get eaten...who is eating them, I am not sure, but it's not just the kids. When I sent a Christmas cake into work with my husband recently, I warned him that the snowflakes were royal and said when it's cut, he may want to take them off and throw them out. He said, uh...people actually eat those things. We don't understand it, we just work with it.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks NEWTODECORATING

I guess I'll be busy making snowflakes today!

kos

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 13

I sent the wreath/poinsettia cake to the L&D unit where I'll be delivering in two months with a friend/nurse who works there. All the decs. were fondant and/or royal icing. I assumed the nurses would toss the stuff but my friend said all of the leaves and poinsettias were eaten!!! BLEGH! That's pure sugar! But, I guess different strokes for different folks!

Edited because the grammar lobe of my brain seems to have taken an early holiday.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 13

I don't know bout other folkses but my hubby and kids will eat the fondant right out of the zip lock if i didn't give em that "mommy" look. They say it tastes like those "circus peanuts"

rainbowz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbowz Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 13

Think of these as candy, which really is all they are. They should be edible, if people like them. Not much different than those candy necklaces and other sugary crunchies people eat all the time.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 5:38am
post #8 of 13

Hahahahahaha, if you can believe this...I once made a cake covered in lily-nail royal icing flowers with stamens in them....and a lady in our office ate them all! YES, stamens and all!!!!!!! I told her over and over that there's metal in them but she didn't care. LOL!

I bet your royal icing snowflakes will be eaten, since they do just taste like candy. icon_smile.gif

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 13

I just made a cake with numerous royal snowflakes and they ALL got eaten. I think it's sorta of a novelty, people want to eat the EDIBLE decorations. It's fun.... not about the taste.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 23 Dec 2005 , 6:18am
post #10 of 13

In England its traditional to cover cakes in royal icing and it always gets eaten

kmcguire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmcguire Posted 23 Dec 2005 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 13

MissBaritone I have read several places that England is where royal icing got it's name. It was the official wedding cake icing for cakes for the kings and queens.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 23 Dec 2005 , 5:23pm
post #12 of 13

That's correct. it got it's name after it was used on Queen Victoria's wedding cake

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 23 Dec 2005 , 5:37pm
post #13 of 13

i think we dont like the taste of those cuz we deal with them ALL the time.... someone who hasnt had a sugary treat in awhile would LOVE royal icing decorations... give it to them daily and bleck..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%