Top Of Castle Turrets

Decorating By olbluejeep Updated 27 Feb 2007 , 4:45pm by dessertprincess

olbluejeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olbluejeep Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:49am
post #1 of 15

I am trying to figure out how to cut out the little squares from the fondant for the tops of castle turrets. I don't have a tiny square cutter. Any other ideas? How do you do it?

Thanks,
Paula

14 replies
keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:55am
post #2 of 15

mini marshmallows. If you look in my gallery, you will see 2 castles. This is just to show you how I avoided that problem all together. Have fun with it.
Amy

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:48am
post #3 of 15

I made a pattern out of cardboard and then traced it onto fondant. I then wrapped the fondant piece around the top of my turrets. I hope I expained that ok!

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:53am
post #4 of 15

I made a pattern and then used a small exacto-knife to cut around it on the fondant. Now I have a cutter for that and it's MUCH easier, but it can be done other ways!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 15

I took a cookie cutter that has one square corner and used that to make my squares fo rthe castle I did! Take a look at my cake!

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 15

I don't know about cutting the fondant but I used sugar cubes on my cake.

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 15

You could also use sugar cubes instead of trying to cut the fondant. That's what they do where I work.

If you do still want to cut squares out of the fondant, you could use the end of a brand new, clean match box cover. Look around your kitchen though: I happen to have measuring spoons that are squared off on the ends instead of round, so I would probably try using them like cutters. You might have something similar lying around and not even realize it.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 15

Look at your cookie cutters for one that has a squared off section and use that.

I used the bottom of my Easter cross cookie cutter and it worked great.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 15

alicia_froedge, where in southern Indiana are you? I'm from Paoli (Paoli Peaks!) Just curious.

olbluejeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olbluejeep Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 7:15am
post #10 of 15

Thanks for all your replies. Now I have several ideas.

-Paula

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 7:21am
post #11 of 15

I just did a castle cake with a friend last week . . . we used a piece that was from a gumpaste flower cutters kit. Insted of squares, we had heart shapes topping the turrets. It was a perfect idea![img]Image[/img]

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 8:20am
post #12 of 15

KatieTaylor77 thats a beautifyl cake.... what size pans did u use?

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 12:27pm
post #13 of 15

katietaylor77. That is so awsome.

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:48pm
post #14 of 15

I seriously cannot take full credit . . . the doctor I work with wanted a castle cake for her daughters birthday but she also wanted to be the one to make it. I was basically there lending my supplies, tools and knowledge. Haden's mom did all the design work . . . the used the clay gun I bought at Michaels to make planks for the bridge, the doors and windows. I did most of the work on the board . . . they created one using spray foam over plywood. We covered it with fondant and then made stones and flowers . . . the moat is poured sugar. It was 5 or 6 layers of strawberry margarita cake baked in a 8" square pan.

Like I said, I would love to take full credit but her momma did 85% of the work and it was all her creative ideas. (Thats why I didn't post this pic in my pictures . . . her mom is a new member on here and I really want her to put this photo in her own album.)

dessertprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessertprincess Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 15

i used the tiniest square cutter in the wilton square fondant cutter set. worked perfectly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%