Storage Of Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By wolfley29 Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 2:44am by wolfley29

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 8

Okay, I don't know if this has been asked and answered before, but how do you store your gum paste/fondant flowers. I really like working with it, now that I have taken the class. So I want to make some up for a wedding that I have in a couple of months. How do I store them without having them break? Any suggestions?

7 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 8

The way *I* have heard to store, is to place them in a box, cushioned with tissue and/or bubble wrap and keep in a cool, dark place, away from direct sunlight. I think they keep pretty much indefinately. HTH.

Jessmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmar Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 8

I store mine in a container with a loose-fitting lid and they've stayed nice and dry, without any problems or breaking.

wolfley29 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 12:18am
post #4 of 8

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm headed downstairs to find a box to use. Someone told me of filling a plastic bin with cornstarch. But I was wondering if that would be too hard, to have to brush it off when ya want to use them flowers.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:03am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfley29

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm headed downstairs to find a box to use. Someone told me of filling a plastic bin with cornstarch. But I was wondering if that would be too hard, to have to brush it off when ya want to use them flowers.

I wouldn't use cornstarch, they really don't need it. If your home has a lot of humidity you could sprinkle in some Silica Gel powder but for most you can just do what Crisseyann suggested. I wouldn't store them in a soft plastic container like Tupperware or Gladware, they seem to make things sweat or absorb moisture. Just a shoe box with the bubble wrap or thin foam rubber works well for me. I keep them in a closet or the pantry and I think they would keep for years if they are protected from light and dust.

wolfley29 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:10am
post #6 of 8

Thanks ShirleyW. I was thinking of plastic storage, but after reading your comment I won't go that route. I was just wondering if a shoebox would be sanitary enough for business? I will be going to Wal Mart tomorrow to see what I can find.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:24am
post #7 of 8

it is perfectly sanitary. you just are trying to keep dust off of them.

wolfley29 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:44am
post #8 of 8

Okay, thanks for the help. I don't know what I would do without you guys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%