New Cake Board - Cheap!!

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 12:28pm by Pootchi

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:46am
post #1 of 30

I am so excited! Just like everyone else I'm always looking on how to do things better and cheaper icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I'm not sure why I thought of it, but I found the perfect new cake board. I bought a foam posterboard (the heavy-duty/sturdy ones commonly used for school science fairs for $2) and it worked great! I just cut it fit and then wrapped it in the Wilton paper and it was perfect! And to make it even sturdier I was going to double the board, but it really wasn't necessary - so I have a board for next time icon_smile.gif

I would highly suggest everyone trying it!

29 replies
tammylenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammylenz Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:50am
post #2 of 30

I have seen this mentioned on here before but now I just have to remember that the next time I need to get more boards. Its crazy how expensive the cardboard cake boards cost.

MarciaStewart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarciaStewart Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 7:23am
post #3 of 30

Since most of my cakes have been for friends and family, I found cake boards that I can clean and re-use. Went to Home Depot and bought a couple different sized peices of plexi-glass. They're fairly cheap, durable, washable and you can put paper on them or use it as is.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 30

The foam core is what Colette mentions in her party cake book. I have used it a couple of times, when I remembered to buy it... icon_smile.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 30

So far I'm doing cakes for friends and family, so I just ask them to return the cake board I have - plus... I'm a "green" person and prefer to not use disposable things if not necessary. So, I buy from a local cake shop some MDF cut to size. For instance, I just bought a board that is to be used with an 11x15 cake.... I think the board was 13x17 and it cost $5 for the board. I can use it over and over again - just cover it with paper and it's SOOOOO much stronger than anything else.

If I ever get really busy with business, I will make it a $5 refundable deposit for the board, so if I don't get it back, I can replace it for cost.

melissa

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 30

I use foamcore for all my cakes. I wrap it with wrapping paper or fabric, then cover with cellophane and edge with ribbon. Strong and light weight.

Julie icon_smile.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 30

what is foamcore boards and where do you get them? Also how much are they?

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 30

I buy a large sheet of MDF from the hardware store, and cut it myself. (or recruit DH to do it for me!!). It costs around $1 a board.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 30

I buy the foam poster boards from Dollar Tree for a buck each. They don't always have them in stock, but I load up when they do.

2sdae Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgriffiths

I buy a large sheet of MDF from the hardware store, and cut it myself. (or recruit DH to do it for me!!). It costs around $1 a board.

What is MDF? icon_confused.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 30

I have used foamcore a few times but I don't like having to cut out perfect circles so usually I just buy the Wilton boards and tape 3 or so together. If I need a wooden board I just buy one, the costs get passed on anyway.

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 30

I have hot glued the corrugated boards together and that works swimmingly, but it can get a bit expensive for us poor folk. I have concidered MDF (a pressed wood product) but I want something that is light enough to use for tiers but still stable and strong like MDF. Is plexi glass good like that??

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 30

I purchased the masonite board from a cake supply store. It was only a few dollars for the one that I use on my 9x13 cake. I just wrap it each time and use it over and over.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 30

to answer 2sdae's question, MDF is Medium Density Fibreboard. It's used alot in those pieces of furniture that you put together. You know like the entertainment centers and kitchen cabinets n stuff. Like the Sauder furniture. That's what those are made of. You can buy a 4'x8' sheet of it at the hardware store for like 20 bucks and then you could probably get ALOT of cake boards out of that one investment. (and I mean ALOT!!!) or you can check in their scrap pile and see what they have there. They'll usually have pieces of MDF or plywood and for a small fee you can even have them cut it to size if you want to. The pieces usually are only a buck to start with and they might cut it for maybe a dollar . So if you find a decent size piece that you can get 3-4 boards out of that'll only cost you like 2 dollars for the whole thing.
I also want to point out that MDF comes in varying thicknesses, from 1/4" all the way to 1" thickness. Just remember the thicker the more expensive it is.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:32pm
post #15 of 30

My local Lowes sell 4x8 foot masonite and will cut it for free to any sizes I want! The stuff is super cheap and stronger than foamboard. Cover with fanci-foil ad your good to go. I always let people know that I'd like the board back and haven't had any trouble with that but I just deal with friends and family that I can track down easily if they "forget" to give it back!!

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:44pm
post #16 of 30

I have used the foam boards before but I have noticed that it is cheaper for me to just buy a case of cake boards from Sams club (for the sheet cake boards)
For rounds, I get them from GFS, I purchase the pizza circles. They come in all sizes! They are the same thing as cake boards that wilton sells and they are a whole lot cheaper!!!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 5:20pm
post #17 of 30

I'm lucky, my dad owns a video rental club, and sells all kind of stuff, like sodas, juices, chips (everything you need for a movie night icon_smile.gif ) and he keeps all the cardboard cartons from the colas and such. It's heavyduty, and free for me. When I need a more sturdy one, I put more cardboard.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 5:22pm
post #18 of 30

I love masonite, too. icon_smile.gif Cheap and super-sturdy.

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 5:39pm
post #19 of 30

I order the doublewall cardboards from countrykitchen and they are really cheap and strong. For an 11x15, I paid $6.80 for 12, or $18.20 for a box of 50. One board is usually strong enough, but if I want the look of a cake drum, I glue two together, cover it with foil paper and it looks just like one.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 9:51pm
post #20 of 30

i have very heavy cake next weekend..

16/14/12/10

would foamcore be strong enough to support that?

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 12:44am
post #21 of 30

Not for the bottom hun that is a heavy cake specially if you are doubling each layer. I would def get some kind of board. Double or triple your foamcore if that's what you already have but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 12:47am
post #22 of 30

yeah a board cracking could be a nightmare...i didn't know, i've never used the stuff....

the last huge cake i made i cut a circle out of plywood and covered it....better safe than sorry!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:55am
post #23 of 30

carrielynnfields, I have mentioned this before on a few forums, I go to Home Depot and buy something called Ridgid Foam. It is 1" thick 4 X 8 sheets. It cost about $8 for a 4X8 sheet. It comes either pink or blue. It is very easy to cut with a knife in any shape or size. It is light and very sturdy. If you need a extremly sturdy board, then I would glue two together. Once again, they are light weight and sturdy. You can reuse them if you are able to get them back from customers, if not add the cost into your cake.

deedee44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee44 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:08am
post #24 of 30

Hi Pootchi,

Aren't you worried about what the boxes have been sitting in before they come to the video store.

I know that you cover them, but is that enough? Safety wise?

Deedee44

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:25am
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgriffiths

What is MDF? icon_confused.gif

Medium Density Fiberboard. It's a pressed wood board. Kind of like plywood.

2sdae Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:28am
post #26 of 30

aaaaahhhhhhh, how do you cut it? Is it difficult?

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 11:58am
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

carrielynnfields, I have mentioned this before on a few forums, I go to Home Depot and buy something called Ridgid Foam. It is 1" thick 4 X 8 sheets. It cost about $8 for a 4X8 sheet. It comes either pink or blue. It is very easy to cut with a knife in any shape or size. It is light and very sturdy. If you need a extremly sturdy board, then I would glue two together. Once again, they are light weight and sturdy. You can reuse them if you are able to get them back from customers, if not add the cost into your cake.

Thank you very much you good person you! Off to home depot!! icon_biggrin.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 12:20pm
post #28 of 30

You are most welcome. I am a do it yourselfer and this is one thing I don't have to ask my husband to cut for me. LOL

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 12:27pm
post #29 of 30

Just as another cheap tip.....saw the big foam core boards at the dollar store!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 12:28pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee44

Hi Pootchi,

Aren't you worried about what the boxes have been sitting in before they come to the video store.

I know that you cover them, but is that enough? Safety wise?

Deedee44

I cover them twice to make sure, you know, good heavy scrapbookingpaper and contact paper. And I never leave any cardboard showing, and after that I just pass a clean clothe with soapy water, just to make sure there's nothing on the board. It's better than when you put aluminium foil and it tears when you cut the cake, no matter what you use as a board.... IMO.
Before using those boards, I really thought about the safety. But I don't use the ones that are dirty. Usually my dad unpacks as soon as he receive the things and bring the boards. The boards I like most are the ones that hold candies. I love it when my dad receives his candy order. I don't even have to double them...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%