My Buttercream Won't Crust.....can't Viva It...help!

Decorating By laborrn2 Updated 3 Mar 2007 , 11:57pm by cathyscakes

laborrn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laborrn2 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:28am
post #1 of 29

Ok, Last weekend I had a beautiful cake to make for a ruby anniversary..bc with red roses. I had planned on smoothing with VIVA and then appying diamond impression mat. Well, my bc never crusted after an hour in a cold garage. So, I went with swiss dots at the last minute...turned out beautiful anyway. Here's the recipe, which I LOVE the taste of...
2c crisco, 1c butter, up to 2 lbs confectioner's sugar, meringue powder, almond/butter/vanilla extracts, milk to thin.
Can you help??

28 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:32am
post #2 of 29

wow..that's a lot of fats (crisco and butter) for just 2 lbs of sugar -- that would be one permanently soft BC

most crusting types would have about 1 to 1-1/2 cups less fat.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:33am
post #3 of 29

oi, three cups of fat and only 2 lbs of sugar. hmmm that sounds like an awful lot of fat for one recipe. you might try to cut down on the fat and see if that helps ya.
try one cup of each instead of the 2c of crisco. the rest sounds ok.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:34am
post #4 of 29

That seems like a high ratio of fat to sugar. Just a guess.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:35am
post #5 of 29

Maybe try to use 1 c. crisco & 1 c. butter.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:36am
post #6 of 29

In the crusting BC recipe I use, there is less fat...I use 1 cup crisco and 1 cup butter (with the same other ingredients) to 2 lbs icing sugar...it crusts really well.

You are using another cup of fat than my recipe..I am pretty sure that is the reason why it doesn't crust...but yours sounds REALLY yummy!

HTH.
Jane

laborrn2 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:24am
post #7 of 29

thanks so much. This is a recipe I found online, is the only bc I have ever made, and gets RAVE reviews!! No wonder, if it is fat-loaded!! LOL! I'll try the 1:1 crisco:butter ratio and see if that helps. Hopefully won't sacrifice taste! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:50am
post #8 of 29

Instead of dropping that whole cup, I would try reducing it by smaller amounts. You maybe able to take away 1/2 cup and still have it crust. It might take longer than recipes that have 1 cup to 1lb sugar, but it might still work. If it doesn't then reduce it down another 1/4th of a cup.

chaptlps Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 29

O hun yer dropping a whole cup of crisco, which means that it can only taste better in the long run. I wouldn't touch the butter though, that's where you get your taste from.

sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 29

did you add a little flour? maybe that might have helped.

use2bethiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
use2bethiel Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 29

I think the meringue power is what makes it crust. You could add a little more of it and see what happens.

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 10:14pm
post #12 of 29

This sounds similar to the house buttercream in the Whimsical Bakehouse book...too much fat. That recipe has 3.5 C fat to 1.5 pounds of powdered sugar and is very wet, no crust at all.

By the way, lots of BC recipes crust without any meringue powder. I think that's for stability or something else.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 10:14pm
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by use2bethiel

I think the meringue power is what makes it crust. You could add a little more of it and see what happens.

Crusting really depends on the sugar to fat ratio. You can have a recipe for crusting icing that does not call for MP.

You can always try to add it in, but I don't think it would really make a difference if you have a lot of fat in the recipe.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 29

I agree. I have always used Meringue Powder in my icing because I had read over and over that if you want a crusting buttercream, you needed to add it. Well, the other day I read that it would crust without it. Soooo, I tried my regular buttercream recipe with NO Meringue Powder and guess what??? It crusted just the same as with the Meringue Powder. Live and learn, I guess.

chaptlps Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 10:30pm
post #15 of 29

it's not the meringue powder per se, it's the ratio of fat to sugar that makes a frosting crust or not

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 10:30pm
post #16 of 29

I don't like the taste with meringue powder. The Wilton class BC recipe calls for it, so the first week I used it, then after that left it out.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:39am
post #17 of 29

My crusting bc has 1c fat to 2lb sugar.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:49am
post #18 of 29

If meringue powder doesn't crust, then what does it do for the frosting. Jsut wondering? I never put it in my frosting until Wilton 1 and I always make my frosting shortening, butter, vanilla, water and sugar with the meringue. Does it make it taste differently?? Everyone says my frosting makes the cake, so maybe its the meringue, not sure?

TexasSugar Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:14am
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakes5

Does it make it taste differently??

Some will tell you it does, others will say they can't. For me I have never tasted it in the icing.

As far as what it does, Wilton says it adds stabilty and will help keep deep colors from bleeding as fast.

laborrn2 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:37am
post #20 of 29

I personally think the MP makes it smoother. I won't use Wilton's MP anymore, b/c it gives it a funky sharp taste. I use Just whites. I will decrease the fats, though, and see if it helps. Thanks for continuing the thread!! You guys are great!

butternut Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:42pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborrn2

I personally think the MP makes it smoother. I won't use Wilton's MP anymore, b/c it gives it a funky sharp taste. I use Just whites. I will decrease the fats, though, and see if it helps. Thanks for continuing the thread!! You guys are great!

Hey there. You may already know this but just in case you don't, I emailed the company that makes the Just Whites and asked if the iced cake made with icing that I used Just Whites in would have to be refrigerated. I received a reply from someone in the company and was told that you have to treat the Just Whites (powdered or liquid form) exactly like you would fresh eggs. Therefore, any icing that is made with Just Whites needs refrigeration. Just thought I would pass that along. I was very disappointed because I wanted to be able to leave the cake out for a couple of days icon_cry.gif

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:56pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakes5

If doesn't crust, then what does it do for the frosting. Jsut wondering? I never put it in my frosting until Wilton 1 and I always make my frosting shortening, butter, vanilla, water and sugar with the meringue. Does it make it taste differently?? Everyone says my frosting makes the cake, so maybe its the meringue, not sure?

I always thought the meringue powder is what caused it to crust. Now I use the Crusting Buttercream Faux-Fondant Icing, which uses flour that causes it to crust.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1597-Crusting-ButterCream-Faux-Fondant-II.html

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:00pm
post #23 of 29

As a wilton instructor we have a recipe that is for the class to add the MP. I personally tell my students to try using the icing without the MP, it's expensive and sometimes has a different taste. I believe the reason for using the MP is to stablize the icing and to supposedly keep the colors from running. I never use MP and I never have a problem with my cake not crusting or colors bleeding. I have taught to over 300 students and only 1 (yes 1) has used MP in her BC. Also, the Wilton MP does not need to be refrigerated. A few years ago they said to keep it in the fridge but now they say it does not need to be.

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:06pm
post #24 of 29

just my two cents. My BC recipe doesnt use any meringue powder. i also only use about 1.5 cups butter/shortening per 2 lb.s confectiner sugar. it always crusts.

laborrn2 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:31pm
post #25 of 29

I guess I will just play with the ratio a little. My recipe is 3c fats: 2lb sugar. I will reduce to 2 c fats and see what happens. One reason that I (and everyone else that eats my bc) like the taste is b/c it is not sickeningly sweet. i think taking out too much of the fats will increase the sweet factor considerably.

butternut Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:16pm
post #26 of 29

I use 2 cups total of fat to 2 pounds of confectioners sugar. It takes a few minutes to crust but it will and you can use the Viva towel method with it.

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:28pm
post #27 of 29

I have found when I add MP to my buttercream icing it crusted quicker then my recipes without it. I have also added it to store bought buttercreams that would not crust and the MP helped it crust.

lad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lad Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:32am
post #28 of 29

My icing has the same ratio--3 C fat to 2 lbs powdered sugar. It crusts--eventually. I ice it with a hot knife, and let it sit for awhile to crust and finish it off with Viva or computer paper.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 11:57pm
post #29 of 29

Your recipe sounds alot like my recipe, and it doesn't crust. It has a higher ratio of fat to sugar, so it makes a fluffier, not as sweet buttercream. I always just refrigerate the cake, let it harden, then use the paper towel to smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%