Dumb Injuries And How It Happened...

Lounge By Dale Updated 6 Feb 2006 , 12:36pm by tabs8774

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 3:35pm
post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by llee815

I'm sorry to hear about the man you tried saving. My SIL is an EMT paramedic and sadly, everyone she tries to save doesn't make it.

Hope you feel better soon.

llee815, I'm sorry, I know we're thinking about Dale here and all but that part about your SIL was funny - even if it might not have been meant to be funny! Poor girl, maybe she should look into another profession.

Dale, we love you and are proud of you. Well, to all of you that are first responders, you are the ones that matter most during those first critical moments! Speedy recovery to you, Dale!

Tarina

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:57pm
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by fytar

Quote:
Originally Posted by llee815

I'm sorry to hear about the man you tried saving. My SIL is an EMT paramedic and sadly, everyone she tries to save doesn't make it.

Hope you feel better soon.

llee815, I'm sorry, I know we're thinking about Dale here and all but that part about your SIL was funny - even if it might not have been meant to be funny! Poor girl, maybe she should look into another profession.

Tarina

I don't see how it is funny. My SIL loves what she does. She's currently working for the fire department and is trying to become a full time firefighter there.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 5:06pm
post #63 of 79

llee815, my apologies to you and your SIL...I was referring to how the sentence read to me - it sounded ironic the way it was worded. Again, sorry that you didn't find my humor in that, I didn't mean any insensitivity in any way.

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 8:59pm
post #64 of 79

Soooooo.....this is some weather we're having huh?

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 9:07pm
post #65 of 79

By the way, Im also a CPR instructor. Most patients who are in full cardiac arrest do not make it, even with CPR as generally it is started to late. The stats on survival are not the greatest, tell her to keep trying and good luck with becoming a full time Fire Fighter. My father retired from the Fire Department. It's a great job! Me..I prefer to stay out of burning buildings. Call me crazy but I'd much rather face a man with a gun or knife anyday...or a guardrail with an attitude.
I must admit though. I admire the EMS and Fire Fighters for the amazing work they do. I work with them everyday and see them save lives left and right. Never ceases to amaze me. Not to mention that were really great when I had my accident. It helped to see a face that I knew and that knew how to take care of me (with drugs!). Back to Dumb injuries!
I once knew a lady who swallowed a fly...

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 9:18pm
post #66 of 79

HA! i thought of something...disgusting more than dumb i guess.

I was at a friend's house eating some chocolate and watching tv (mickey mouse club, so it was a while ago) and I picked up what i thought was candy. I bit into it and it crunched.....it was a ROACH!!! I rushed to the bathroom, crying as only a 7 year old girl can, and after spitting it out brushed my teeth with my finger for about an hour. The mom wanted to help I think but she apprently thought it was so funy she could not stop laughing.

UGH!! Needless to say I do not "DO" roaches. I see one, i'm otta there! Raid is my FRIEND!

llee815 Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 9:36pm
post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by fytar

llee815, my apologies to you and your SIL...I was referring to how the sentence read to me - it sounded ironic the way it was worded. Again, sorry that you didn't find my humor in that, I didn't mean any insensitivity in any way.

That's okay.

llee815 Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 9:38pm
post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale

By the way, Im also a CPR instructor. Most patients who are in full cardiac arrest do not make it, even with CPR as generally it is started to late. The stats on survival are not the greatest, tell her to keep trying and good luck with becoming a full time Fire Fighter. My father retired from the Fire Department. It's a great job! Me..I prefer to stay out of burning buildings. Call me crazy but I'd much rather face a man with a gun or knife anyday...or a guardrail with an attitude.

I know about the CPR, we had to take it in school. Isn't less than 10% with CPR alone? It's the AED that helps the stats go up, right?

My SIL has her interview today. Wish her luck!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 12:14am
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

HA! i thought of something...disgusting more than dumb i guess.

I was at a friend's house eating some chocolate and watching tv (mickey mouse club, so it was a while ago) and I picked up what i thought was candy. I bit into it and it crunched.....it was a ROACH!!! I rushed to the bathroom, crying as only a 7 year old girl can, and after spitting it out brushed my teeth with my finger for about an hour. The mom wanted to help I think but she apprently thought it was so funy she could not stop laughing.

UGH!! Needless to say I do not "DO" roaches. I see one, i'm otta there! Raid is my FRIEND!

ROFLMAO! (if only laughing were a weight loss method! icon_rolleyes.gif )

methinks we have a new forum thread....

the grosses/ickiest/dumbest stuff I ever ate was.... icon_confused.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 3:50am
post #70 of 79

Great thread!

Dale, sorry about your most recent injury (ouch!) and the man who didn't make it.

A cop who decorates cakes, does it get any better than that? icon_smile.gif

The only ones that come to mind for me:

Senior year in HS AP Physics class (what in the world was I thinking?!) I stapled my finger with one of those big heavy-duty staplers. Didn't hurt until I pulled it out. Aya.

I've burned myself on almost eveyr part of my body while in the kitchen.

About the age of 10, wondered if the cigarette lighter in the car was actually hot...didn't look like it. *sizzzzzzlle* Yep, it's white-hot.

Few months ago, tried to break up a dog fight and got caught on the calf, through my jeans. Ay!

My injuries totally pale in comparison..I've been very lucky when it comes to this...not a limb ever broken. *KNOCK ON A BIG PIECE OF WOOD*

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 2:19pm
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Few months ago, tried to break up a dog fight and got caught on the calf, through my jeans.

I did something like that in a cat-fight... we used to have an apartment with a fire escape right ouside the bedroom window... and no air conditioning. Obviously, in the summer, that window was open (just a little, as it had no screen). Well some stray cat came up to the window at about 2am, and convinced my sweet, good natured kitty that a fight was in order... about 8" from my face!

Being 2am, I was not at my most aware, and all I wanted was to go back to sleep. So I grabbed my cat so I could shut the window...

Word to the wise... NEVER GRAB A CAT FROM BEHIND WHO IS IN THE MIDDLE OF A CAT-FIGHT!

Who knew? LOL He bit my wrist and left 4 lovely scars... my hand blew up to the size of an inflated rubber glove, I went into shock so my fiance had to ake me to the hospital (I felt like SUCH an idiot!)

As if that weren't enough... this happened about a week before our wedding!!!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:22am
post #72 of 79

Hope I'm not too late for this...
7 years ago, Christmas day, going to get newspaper with puppy in arms. Slid on ice--feet in air, threw dog across the yard and landed on my butt (on ice) with my robe up around my neck. Then did the same thing an hour later in front of my husband (was fully dressed then).

The last time I helped DH with dusting (yes, it's true--he dusts AND vacuums), fell off the bed and broke my foot. Try explaining that one to the doctor.

Not really an injury on this one, but awful funny. Some things had fallen behind the dryer (have a small laundry space) and I could only pull dryer out a bit. Climbed on top and leaned over the top to reach objects. Stretched just a bit further...a bit more...c'mon--stretch...OOPS...too far!!!
Got stuck head down behind dryer with feet stuck in air. I was trying to call DH who was in the front of the house but I was laughing too hard. I hung there upside down for about 30 minutes before he decided it was time for a cigarette (he smokes in the garage), found me like that and almost couldn't get me out because HE was laughing too hard.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 3:55pm
post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

Not really an injury on this one, but awful funny. Some things had fallen behind the dryer (have a small laundry space) and I could only pull dryer out a bit. Climbed on top and leaned over the top to reach objects. Stretched just a bit further...a bit more...c'mon--stretch...OOPS...too far!!!
Got stuck head down behind dryer with feet stuck in air. I was trying to call DH who was in the front of the house but I was laughing too hard. I hung there upside down for about 30 minutes before he decided it was time for a cigarette (he smokes in the garage), found me like that and almost couldn't get me out because HE was laughing too hard.

LMAO- that is way too funny...well, at least you could laugh at yourself!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 2:33am
post #74 of 79

Dale, Haven't seen you around for a while. I hope you are healing well. We miss your humor!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 12:04am
post #75 of 79

Ok, I just shared this with a friend in an email, so I'll share here too... last week I sneezed incredibly hard and held my mouth goofy to try and avoid waking my daughter up and in the process bit the inside of my mouth and tongue. Are you laughing yet? So, this is what's it's like to be me! Now I have these huge sores in my mouth... like 5 of them in all. It's hard to talk, eat, and especially to brush my teeth. Also, I drool a lot and occasionaly when I take a drink I lose a little. icon_razz.gif I feel sooo pretty! Today the only two spots that are really painful are the two up front where I nearly bit through the area behind my lip. For a couple of days my smile was crooked because that side of my lip was soo swollen. Pretty ridiculous... and I did this to myself! I used to tell my family and friends about my Lucy moments (referring to Lucille Ball), but I think this one was truly a Wendy moment.
The upshot is I've lost 5 lbs! I don't however recommend this as a weight loss plan. icon_wink.gif

Devonee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Devonee Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 3:56pm
post #76 of 79

my older brother could usually talk me into doing anything, one day he convinced me to ride on one of those old lawnmowers with the blades that are exposed (he promised he would push fast or go over bumps) my foot slid into the blades as he ran over a bump. If I hadn't been wearing shoes would have cut my heel right off - the blades when through my foot 3 times before I jumped off. Strangely it didn't hurt and I never cried. I was about 10.

My brother talked me into getting on a horse with him (he isn't exactly horse savvy) the horse took off and started bucking. I started to scream and my brother kept telling me to jump off. I was too scared and just kept holding onto him. He reached behind and pushed me off forgetting that I was holding onto him. I pulled him off with me and we both ended up in the hospital.

Same brother was doubling me on a bike - I was sitting on the bar infront of the seat and my foot slid into the bike spokes. The bike flipped right over and landed on top of both of us. somehow he convinced me to get back on the bike so he could take me home. I have a big scar on my ankle from that one.

Me and my little brother found some golf clubs and were hitting some balls in our backyard and he stood a little too close to me and I nailed him in the head with a wood (lucky it wasn't an iron).

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 4:10pm
post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonee

Same brother was doubling me on a bike - I was sitting on the bar infront of the seat and my foot slid into the bike spokes. The bike flipped right over and landed on top of both of us. somehow he convinced me to get back on the bike so he could take me home. I have a big scar on my ankle from that one.

I did the same thing... except I got my foot so jammed in that a neighbour had to cut 3 of the spokes to get me out! I somehow avoided a scar... but I cracked about 8 bones and still (20 years later) have to wear a light brace if I'm going to do anything more energetic than a walk!

Devonee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Devonee Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 8:55pm
post #78 of 79

Wow, it sounds like I got it lucky with only having a scar as a reminder of that incident.

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 12:36pm
post #79 of 79
Quote:
Quote:

roflmao!!!!!! that is soooo funny!!!! i would have been laughing to hard to get to out!!! good for your dh!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%