Leveling Cakes

Decorating By cocakedecorator Updated 25 Feb 2007 , 4:03am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:47am
post #1 of 31

I dont know what has happened but all of the sudden I am having trouble leveling my cakes. I have gone from the wilton leveler to using a knife and with no results. I did 2 cakes this week and neither one came out level (at least they are for family icon_wink.gif ) Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

30 replies
polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:54am
post #2 of 31

I have always had trouble with that too....but the last cake I did, I filled the pans a little more, so that the cake would rise above the rim, and trimmed it with a knife using the rim as a guide. (advice from another CC member) It worked for me....
I never could cut a straight line..I think I failed that in Kindergarten!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:55am
post #3 of 31

I don't have much luck with a knife, but I have the small Wilton leveler and really like it!

A few things about the Wilton Leveler that I've noticed:

-Works best when the cake has been chilled in the fridge for a little bit, just to get the cake to firm up a bit.

- Have to do a little sawing motion all the way thru the cake.

- Cup your hand around the side of the cake right before the leveler string is going to come out, to keep it from taking cake off.

- don't try to take off "just a tiny bit" from the top. Usually I start right below where that top ridge from the cake pan might be, where the cake is softer.

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:05am
post #4 of 31

If this is a new occurrence, you might want to check to see if the sufrace you're working on is level. Countertop, cake stand,whatever...grab a carpenter's level and check. if your work surface isn't level, you'll never get a level cake. This goes for checking your oven too. (while it's off, of course icon_wink.gif )

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:04am
post #5 of 31

The best tip I ever got on leveling cakes (thanks to a CC member long time ago) is as soon as your cake comes out of the oven put a clean dish towel over the pan and then put my huge, heavy wooden cutting board on top of the towel. It smooshes everything level and even, no crumbs to contend with from cutting. I let it sit on there for around 5 min then take it off to let the cake cool 10-15 min before I flip it out. I do this for my cupcakes too if I'm making a cupcake cake.

A cookie sheet with something heavy on top of that also works.

tammylenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammylenz Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:15am
post #6 of 31

I take my cake out of the oven and set it on my cooling rack for about 2-3 mins then I take my cooling rack and put it on top of my pan and flip so now my cake comes out directly on to the cooling rack and starts to smush down the top so there is little to no leveling needed. If it seems like the cake has risin a lot then I take a cutting board and a semi heavy object and put it on the bottom that comes out of the pan and that helps to smush it too.

I hope this made sense, its harder to explain than I though it would be.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:44am
post #7 of 31

I read the other day that if you pin a wet towel around the outer edge of the pan during cooking, your cake will turn out really level. No need to cut! Haven't tried it yet, though.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:48am
post #8 of 31

A tip I got from the Lindsey Smith book is to take the cake from the pan and place a cake board or 2 in the bottom of the cake pan, place the cake on top of the board inside the pan and use the rim as a guide.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 31

I think czyadgrl has it - though I heve never had trouble when the cakes were slightly warm.

The push down method affects the density of the cake, IMHO, so i definiately advocate getting used to using a levelr or a knife. you do need to trim it while on the counter or something as you need a level surface for the feet to rest on as you saw through the cake - don't try it while it is on the cooking rack. And don't tilt the leveler - keep it straight up.

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 31

I don't ever level cakes anymore because someone on CC said to drop your baking temp to 325 instead of 350 and the cake truly does come out almost perfectly level for me.

I threw out the wilton leveler and the baking strips.

Try it...you will love it.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by czyadgrl

- Cup your hand around the side of the cake right before the leveler string is going to come out, to keep it from taking cake off.

I also use the small Wilton Leveler and love it! The way I prevent from pulling cake off when the string comes out is I cut half way in to the cake. Then while still using a swaying motion, I turn the cake while still keeping the leveler only halfway through the cake. When I eventually meet back around to where I first inserted the leveler I have a clean cut and can just slide the leveler out. Did that make sense? I can see it in my mind but not sure if I said in a way to explain it properly.

Lazy_Susan

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:01pm
post #12 of 31

I take mine out of the oven and let sit for about a minute - I put saran wrap on the counter that will cover the cake and then I flip the cake out onto the saran wrap and it slowly conforms to the flat surface as it cools and then I wrap it up and put into the fridge to firm up. they always come out leveled and the cake is taller and more impressive to my customers. Most bakeries around here have 2" tall cakes and mine are usually at least 3". It makes a big difference.

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

A tip I got from the Lindsey Smith book is to take the cake from the pan and place a cake board or 2 in the bottom of the cake pan, place the cake on top of the board inside the pan and use the rim as a guide.

Thats a really good one, because sometimes if the cake only rises a little above the tin you cant use tin as a guide, thanks for that one TyTy thumbs_up.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourangelsmommie

I don't ever level cakes anymore because someone on CC said to drop your baking temp to 325 instead of 350 and the cake truly does come out almost perfectly level for me.

I threw out the wilton leveler and the baking strips.

Try it...you will love it.

Ditto--those baking strips were a waste of money along with the leveler!!!

Diane

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:22pm
post #15 of 31

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't have any luck using the baking strips. They help, but they don't "do the job". As for the Wilton levelers - big waste of money on large cakes. One day I'd like to get the Agbay leveler. It looks like a dream.

lionladydi Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:28pm
post #16 of 31

I got so flustered just trying to get the strips on the pans. That's why I tell everyone who starts taking the Wilton classes to back off buying things like that until they are sure they want to really get into decorating. By the time they figure that much out, they'll have learned a little from others about the stupid gadgets they encourage you to buy. I rate the tilting turntable right up there with the baking strips and leveler. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

McMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McMama Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:50pm
post #17 of 31

Here's what I learned from a lady who had been baking cakes for years. Cut off the top of your cake (either in or out of pan). I usually do mine out of the pan after it has completely cooled. Then turn it upside down on your cardboard. Use the cake you originally cut off to level the corners and sides if necessary. It works like a charm. Once the frosting is on the cake no one will ever know. I do this all the time. You can really get a level cake and you no longer need to stress about it.
LL

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:03pm
post #18 of 31

I agree about the Wilton Tilting table and strips and their leveler is another one of their cheap gadgets. Try the Agbay at www.agbayproducts.com. You will never have to worry about leveling again.

lionladydi Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 6:52pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

I agree about the Wilton Tilting table and strips and their leveler is another one of their cheap gadgets. Try the Agbay at www.agbayproducts.com. You will never have to worry about leveling again.

I'm just an amateur so wouldn't even think about investing in this leveler but I bet it would be great. For that price it should be able to talk to you. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif In all seriousness, it would be well worth it if you did this all the time and not just occassionally like I do.

Diane

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 7:03pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

Quote:

I'm just an amateur so wouldn't even think about investing in this leveler but I bet it would be great. For that price it should be able to talk to you. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif In all seriousness, it would be well worth it if you did this all the time and not just occassionally like I do.

Diane

I'm an amateur and I don't make cakes that often, but I bought an Agbay and I'm SO happy I did. Leveling cakes was so agravating for me that I thought I would go crazy! The Agbay is wonderful.
The pressing the cake down when it's still warm and other methods like that didn't work for me. I'm in a high altitude area and my cakes rise differently all the time. I can't turn the oven down for baking, because my cakes fall. Baking at 4500 ft above sea level--it's an adventure!

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 7:15pm
post #21 of 31

Ive always just used a piece of sewing thread. I let my cakes cool about 5 min. then take a long piece of thread and twist it around my fingers ( as if you were going to floss your teeth), then place it along the edge of the pan and pull slowly in a sawing motion. Then I flip the cakes on a board and wrap in saran wrap till cool. I learn it in 10th grade cooking class!

cocakedecorator Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 7:20pm
post #22 of 31

Thank you all for the great tips. So many great ideas I don't know which one to try first. LOL Dumb question ... do these tips work for torting etc when you want to fill a cake?

cocakedecorator Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 7:22pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:

Quote:

Diane

I agree that thing is a bit pricey. Looks like an awesome tool though. I may have to but that on my birthday and/or christmas list. LOL

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 8:00pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

I take mine out of the oven and let sit for about a minute - I put saran wrap on the counter that will cover the cake and then I flip the cake out onto the saran wrap and it slowly conforms to the flat surface as it cools and then I wrap it up and put into the fridge to firm up. they always come out leveled and the cake is taller and more impressive to my customers. Most bakeries around here have 2" tall cakes and mine are usually at least 3". It makes a big difference.

if you have a cake with a large hump on it and do this, the cake likely will break.

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:24pm
post #25 of 31

My small Wilton leveler worked until it became dull. Then I bought a bigger one at a cake supply store and the blade is bent slightly so now it levels crooked. The only problem I have with the flipping upside down method, is if the top is "crusty" I don't want to leave that on.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:27pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by czyadgrl

- don't try to take off "just a tiny bit" from the top. Usually I start right below where that top ridge from the cake pan might be, where the cake is softer.

Exactly what I do, that edge mark is like a ruler mark for cutting to me. But I do use a long bladed serrated edged bread knife. I keep hearing good things about the Agbay leveler, but the Wilton is just pathetic, it bends and wobbles and cuts you if you aren't careful.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:29am
post #27 of 31

Gee, I hope the Wilton's tilting turntable isn't as badly designed as the levelers. I used a 50% off coupon to buy on the other day. Haven't used it yet, but I figured it would be a lot better than my grandmother's old lazy susan.

Boy do I wish I could hit the lottery and pay off my house. Then I'd have all that extra cash to buy cake stuff (can't wait to get that Agbay leveler)!

lionladydi Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:53am
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Gee, I hope the Wilton's tilting turntable isn't as badly designed as the levelers. I used a 50% off coupon to buy on the other day. Haven't used it yet, but I figured it would be a lot better than my grandmother's old lazy susan.

Boy do I wish I could hit the lottery and pay off my house. Then I'd have all that extra cash to buy cake stuff (can't wait to get that Agbay leveler)!

I suggest that if you haven't used the Wilton turntable, that you take it back and get something that will be really useful!!! I'm not kidding and I think alot of people on here would tell you the same thing.

Diane

cocakedecorator Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:05am
post #29 of 31
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

I suggest that if you haven't used the Wilton turntable, that you take it back and get something that will be really useful!!! I'm not kidding and I think alot of people on here would tell you the same thing.

Diane

I agree I have had several cakes slide right off of it even with a towel or something under the cake. The top is supposed to be designed to grip but it doesn't work at all. Thank goodness it was a gift and I didnt spend the money on it (it isnt cheap).

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:21am
post #30 of 31

Today I made a cake for DH. It was only my second time using cake extender. The last time I had to lower my temp a little so it wouldn't burn, so this time I set my oven for 325 to avoid burning. I had enough batter left for 12 cupcakes too. The cupcakes and the cake did not need to be leveled or even trimmed on the edges at all! I did not know why this happened, but then I read what you posted, Lionladydi I will be doing this all the time now!

I have never had any luck at all with the Wilton leveler. I simply cannot do with it what should be done! I have to use a serrated knife, and that works fine for me. I was freezing my cakes to keep them from falling apart or tearing, but I've just discovered that giving them a good chill in the frige is all that is necessary.

I cannot say enough great things about this site and all the people who frequent here. I have learned so much from my time here and want to thank everyone for all you share!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%