Coloring Mmf With Dark Colors

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 14 Dec 2005 , 10:45pm by Ironbaker

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 5

quick question: If you are making a dark colored MMF, like dark red, black or dark blue, what method do you like best? I have read two ways of doing it: either add it to the melted marshmellows or knead it in. I just can't seem to get my colors dark enough! (using Wilton...)

thanks!

4 replies
tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 5

i have the same problem.. i needed red for my last cake.. so i added red candy melt to it... it was redder than when i kneaded in the color but still not red enough..

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 5

well, I was able to get a nice black..using a TON of the Wilton black in the melted marshmellows. (what a mess! Glad I have gloves) It is kind of cool looking, like black leather!

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 5

With black, I add some cocoa powder to the melted marshmallows to get a chocolate base then add my black coloring. You usually don't have to use as much black coloring if you do this first. I haven't had to use a red, red or blue, so don't know if you can use some other base coloring to get it that deep.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 5

I ordered some Americolors in black and red because I've heard good things about them. (you can use much less compared to Wilton) I will be making red fondant also so we'll see how it goes.

For black, I would also make it brown first - either by adding cocoa or brown coloring (if I don't want a chocolate taste) - and then adding the black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%