How Many Cakes.....

Business By tawnyachilders Updated 28 Feb 2007 , 3:18pm by littlecake

tawnyachilders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tawnyachilders Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 33

Hi Everyone,

I am finally weeks away from opening my shop. My only competition, besides Walmart, called me this week and told me she is closing her shop because she is too busy and doesn't have enough time for her family. We were talking and she said she usually does close to 30 cakes a week and none of them are regular sheet cakes. Her cakes are 3d and cut out cakes, alot of star decoration. How many cakes do you small cake decorating shops do a week? I am afraid of not being able to handle this much business. Any input or suggestions on how to turn out as many cakes as possible would be appreciated. And also let me know if you work alone or have employees to help.

32 replies
albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 33

I'm curious about replies! I don't own a cake shop, but it sounds like you'll be off to a great start with your competition gone.

I do have another business, and have learned a few lessons about keeping your sanity. Make sure you hire help before you get overwhelmed. Keep the work enjoyable. It's worth hiring someone to take care of paperwork for you, or wash dishes. Find a local student you can train to work for you part-time, or hire a professional. If you feel you can't afford help, charge more for your cakes.

Sometimes it's hard to let go of some tasks to someone else, but we really can't do all of it ourselves. Keep it fun and challenging, and don't be afraid to get help! (Just my 2 cents.)

Good Luck with your new business!! thumbs_up.gif

tawnyachilders Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 33

Thanks for the input Albumangel. Anyone else? Anyone that owns a shop? How many cakes do you average a week?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 33

How many you do will depend on how many you need to keep your business afloat. If you don't need to make much money, than you don't need to do that many cakes, and you can control the orders.

I would hope you know how much money you need to make in sales to cover all your expenses, and possible pay yourself a salary.

I know risquebusiness is busting her butt to keep up. You might pm her

tawnyachilders Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 33

Yes, JoAnnB, I know how much money I need to make. My question has nothing to do with the financial aspect of it. I'm asking small shop owners how many cakes they are able to do a week by themselves. As I state in my original post my competitor does 30 that seems like a lot.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 33

Hard to say, exactly. Haven't been in business long. This month, I've had 3 wedding cakes, 2 weddings to cater, 1 party to cater, 2 large orders for cupcakes, and 4 cakes. Jan. was just as busy, December was more. March looks a little slower, but many of these things come up within 1-2 weeks of event.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 33

Well, you are also taking the competitor at her word. It would be very difficult for one person working alone to back and decorate that many carved cakes. 1/4 sheets or tiered peices maybe. If you could bake ahead, all in one batch, use the same icing (purchased in a bucket) you might be able to manage 30 but I doubt it. 5 carved cakes a day, with no help? sounds a bit exaggerated

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 33

I don't have a shop, but I have a suggestion.

When you get too busy, raise your prices. People who don't want to pay your price will go elsewhere and you'll make more money on the cakes you do.

Raising and lowering prices is a great way to adjust volume.

customcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcaker Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 33

I used to provide cakes for a bakery. I did hand drawn characters, 3-D shapes and regular b-day cakes. It always varied week to week, and holidays were crazy. I average 20-30 each week. That did not include any wedding cakes, which I got into later. I did this for 4 years and did everything myself. I would be up until midnight anywhere from 3 to 4 nights a week. I had two small children too and was a girl scout leader and team mother for sports. I basically burnt out! I tried hiring a friend to bake the cakes for me and I paid her per cake. Believe it or not, she didn't work out, because she was underbaking many of the larger cakes! It was unfortunate, because it really helped alot to have someone do the baking. If you can hire someone to do the "grunt" work, I say do it now!! I ended up with carple tunnel as well!
End result now is, I'm expanding my new in home bakery. I don't do the small hand drawn and 3-D cakes anymore and concentrate on weddings and getting as many function halls as I can. I'm now hiring my first two employees to bake, clean and prep the cakes for me, so I can concentrate on the design and decoration. I've paid my dues thumbs_up.gif
Good Luck! You'll make the right decision for yourself in the end. You will be able to do anything that comes your way, it's just a question of how much time you are willing to give?

whitgent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitgent Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 33

we do anywhere between 50 and 100 cakes a week. it just depends on the time of year. right now, not too busy, closer to fifty. around christmas, closer to 100. we do sheet cakes, layer cakes, no cake sculpting. my friend in a larger town an hour away probable does double what i do in a week.

whitgent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitgent Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 33

oh, and i handle the cakes during the week and we have another girl who helps out on friday and saturday, decorator wise. there are a couple of girls who bake as well, wedding cakes are usually busy during the summer as well and around christmas

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:29am
post #12 of 33

I average 25 a week. One employee (daughter) to bake and run the things I can't get to. I spend most of the days waiting on customers and brides, then decorate in the evenings. We average 4 wedding and grooms cakes a weekend during the heavy season. We do alot of tiered birthday and detailed cakes. No plastic, If it were plastic designs I could personally ice, decorate and box 6 cakes every hour. Of course cakes would have to be baked and icing already made.

When I start turning away too many orders because I'm booked... I raise prices on the cakes. I have done this for the past 11 years.

mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:37am
post #13 of 33

Right now I'm in the middle of a 30 cake week. The last 20 are out tomorrow. Could I do 50? Yes. Would I be there until midnight every night? Yes. Would I do 50? No. Thirty is definately my limit. I can tell you that the limit used to be 10. You get faster as you go! icon_wink.gif

If I could find someone good to bake, get the cakes crumb coated, and clean my life would be so much easier! I have someone that cleans as needed, but she can't cook or concentrate on the task at hand.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:53am
post #14 of 33

I don't have a shop or store front, but I do have a legal home bakery that I operate along with working a full time job outside of the home, not to mention two kids and a husband. Before my name got out there, I had no problem keeping up with 3-6 cakes per week. However, since Thanksgiving, I'm doing anywhere from 15-20. This week and the next two, I already have 12+ orders booked. That's not even including last-minute callers, which typically end up needing cakes for THAT weekend. If it wouldn't be from the organizational methods found from CC friends, baking days, decorating days, etc., I'd NEVER stand a chance at keeping up or getting anything out on time. I have family that helps out immensely. Mom was over yesterday and made icing out the wazoo for me to use on today's orders...14 just for Saturday. This week has been something else! My sister makes up my boxes and wraps my boards ahead. That's a time-saver, too. I'm sure that you'll find your niche` with what works for you. It's all about trial and error. Once you get in and open, you'll get an idea soon there after about what to expect on a typical week. You'll always have last-minute and surprise orders, but take the advice of other more seasoned CC'ers like I did...if you're becoming overwhelmed, raise your prices. Then again, when I do that, they end up booking, too. LOL. I wish you tons of success!!!

tawnyachilders Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 7:13pm
post #15 of 33

Thanks everyone for your input I can't imagine doing 30 a week hopefully I'll get faster. I would love to be able to do as many as you guys, but I think my problem is I just want them all to be perfect.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 33

i'm a 1 woman show...

i didn't keep count but i think i did close to 40 this week.

you can do it.

not every cake has to be an original one of a kind...i have about 10 standard designs i usealot ....just vary them in some way....i do match napkins and do designs ans cutouts as well....but i charge way more for those....after you do a cake design alot of times you can do it really fast on auto pilot almost....i can do this one design they seem to like alot around here...a leopard print in about 10 minutes....and it looks cool too!.

and if you use the decopac kits (the customers still seem to like those)...well you can whoop those out in record time.

do not let your competetion scare you....you can do it.

i usually bake one day a week....fill up the freezer and draw from that....that week...once the cakes are gone...NO MORE CAKE ORDERS!...booked up!

if you have any questions or need any support IM me.

ps. my son has to remind me all the time..."people lie mom!"....you might keep this in mind about the other decorator down the road!

mypastrychef Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 2:01am
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

not every cake has to be an original one of a kind...i have about 10 standard designs i usealot ....just vary them in some way....i do match napkins and do designs ans cutouts as well....but i charge way more for those....after you do a cake design alot of times you can do it really fast on auto pilot almost....i can do this one design they seem to like alot around here...a leopard print in about 10 minutes....and it looks cool too!.

Look who's kickin' butt now?!!
You are a real hard worker, I'd like to hire you icon_lol.gif haha

I want to see your leopard print. If you get time.
mpc

littlecake Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:16am
post #18 of 33

Look who's kickin' butt now?!!

HA HA HA........

MPC...remember in the book of Job, after the time of testing he ended up BETTER OFF than before?

BTW...i've learned alot of stuff from you....ha ha ha...i even copied your business hours!....after lookin at you site, i thought, "hmmmm...i bet those hours would work better for me....cept on tues and weds i cut out an hour before ya'll do.....and go work on my place./

ps. i started taking pics again too...the ones i got on here are years old, so after i get em developed i'll post em.

mypastrychef Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:58pm
post #19 of 33

littlecake

Now, I'm jealous about the hours.

Most of the time we are still here working. But like this week... it was a week when I was ready to leave before closing time. My ideal hours are... take orders Thursday, Bake Friday and decorate Saturday. I'm rephrasing what Donald Trump said,... only a pathetic excuse for a person would even think of those hours. Wish I could get away with being pathetic.
mpc

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 1:04pm
post #20 of 33

i use to work in retail bakeries, you just have to plan your time out. make the cakes ahead of time and decorate the day before or the day of. bakery hours are early hours, especially on fri. and sat. as thats when most cake orders are placed. you can do it!! also fri and sat. will be your longest working days. good luck.

renkly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renkly Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 1:25pm
post #21 of 33

I am looking into opening a shop also. I just want to have fun, be able to cover my costs and maybe score (at the most) $1000.00 a month. So my first goal is to cover my costs - so I need to make 1 cake a week (I found a cheap shop!). So I will start with 2 cakes a week and then I am full, no more orders. I will just take it from there and see what happens. I called 2 bakieries that do the same as I. Ones limit is 5 a week, the other is 10 a week. If I get more orders I will look to hire someone who can help. First do dishes, then work into cooking the cakes and last learn to crumb coat. The unemployement in my state is really bad and I already have a dozen friends who want to work with me. BUT my goal is to have FUN - thus FUN CAKES -
You have fun also and enjoy each cake.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:16pm
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by renkly

I am looking into opening a shop also. I just want to have fun, be able to cover my costs and maybe score (at the most) $1000.00 a month. So my first goal is to cover my costs - so I need to make 1 cake a week (I found a cheap shop!). So I will start with 2 cakes a week and then I am full, no more orders. I will just take it from there and see what happens. I called 2 bakieries that do the same as I. Ones limit is 5 a week, the other is 10 a week. If I get more orders I will look to hire someone who can help. First do dishes, then work into cooking the cakes and last learn to crumb coat. The unemployement in my state is really bad and I already have a dozen friends who want to work with me. BUT my goal is to have FUN - thus FUN CAKES -
You have fun also and enjoy each cake.

Are you talking one wedding cake?? icon_confused.gif

renkly Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 7:13pm
post #23 of 33

Yep, 1 wedding cake a week. Carzy huh?? I know- I just want to have fun. I will take 2 wedding cake orders a week but actually hope I get more grooms cakes because I like that more. I love life too much to work too hard but I also love cakes.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 8:12pm
post #24 of 33

Do you realize the income taxes, property taxes, permits, insurance, and other expenses you will have? Anyway, just a thought.

qtcakes Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:08pm
post #25 of 33

i would think you would want more business, you also have to concider the slow times when weddings arent big a certain month, you need to cover the expences then. also, by word of mouth, if you are good, you deff. will be getting alot of calls.

littlecake Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:14pm
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

Do you realize the income taxes, property taxes, permits, insurance, and other expenses you will have? Anyway, just a thought.

not to mention that the phone and electric co charge you more just because you're a biz.

one month i was closed due to surgery....

wasn't even there and my electric bill was almost 200.00

and don't forget my fav..."personal property tax"

renkly Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 10:10pm
post #27 of 33

Yep, I'm crazy. I already own one business (totally different than cakes) so I know all that is involved( have owned it for 8 years) Also my husband owns his own business so I really understand all that is involved. No property taxes, renting, no phone, have my cell phone, yes I realize the heat and electric, small shop, it's covered with one cake a week. I have a new bug I don't use, so I am selling that to set-up, so no depts, everything free and clear. Things can be done easy and dept free. Have fun - enjoy life. Also as I said - that is what I am starting with - I'll take as many orders as I get until it's not fun and has turned to work. I have worked the 90+ hour weeks and I won't do it again. Also a 1 years lease, if not fun, I'm out!! I realize I am crazy, all my friends and family keep reminding me!!

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 11:00pm
post #28 of 33

Sorry, but you will have property taxes, permit fees, insurance premiums, and other expenses to operate legally.

My shop is small, I own it free & clear, and I started out with cash (I've never borrowed anything). And my rent is really inexpensive as a matter of fact I pay more for the expenses listed above than I do for rent and I will not go as far as to say it is or ever has been easy.

Good luck to you, but I think you may be in for a suprise! icon_surprised.gif

tmdoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmdoxie Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:40am
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypastrychef

I average 25 a week. One employee (daughter) to bake and run the things I can't get to. I spend most of the days waiting on customers and brides, then decorate in the evenings. We average 4 wedding and grooms cakes a weekend during the heavy season. We do alot of tiered birthday and detailed cakes. No plastic, If it were plastic designs I could personally ice, decorate and box 6 cakes every hour. Of course cakes would have to be baked and icing already made.

When I start turning away too many orders because I'm booked... I raise prices on the cakes. I have done this for the past 11 years.

mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

What do you mean by no plastic?

qtcakes Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 11:20am
post #30 of 33

i think what she meant by ..no plastic.. is no toys, she does all the decorating by edible products. commercial bakeries, airbrush a background and drop toys on top and add writting. ive done many working in retail bakeries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%