Help! In Need Of An Impressive Dessert

Decorating By camouflagegirl Updated 24 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm by Zmama

camouflagegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camouflagegirl Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 26

My husband and I are going to to are NEW friends' house for dinner, drinks, and a movie night tomorrow, and I want to bring something that will WOW their socks off. It's really important to us that we make a good impression, because the husband is one of his coworkers (he just started his new job 6 weeks ago), and the wife works at a pretty big company (where she could potentially pass the word of my awesome baking). Anyone have any ideas?

25 replies
Pucka1378 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cordy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cordy Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 26

I agree with the above post, any cake with chocolate-dipped strawberries is impressive. They always look so...fancy icon_lol.gif yet are soooo simple. the rest of the cake can just be classically frosted and designed when you have a show stopper like dipped strawberries.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 26
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing!

Michele

camouflagegirl Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 26

I do have something similiar to those in my photos, except not with strawberries.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 26

that dessert does look wonderful!
I also have one in my pics. Sorry I don't know how to attach the link.
You can make it either 8"or 10". The one in the pic is 10"
2 layers devils food cake. On the first layer spread whipped cream and spread cherry filling. On the second layer spread the cherrys in the middle, pipe the whipped cream around the edge and I also put slivered toasted almonds in the whipped cream. Very simple to do. Hope you find something you like.

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 26

Wow we all must be on the same wave lenght as I was going to suggest one of the 2 piroulene cakes I have in my photos as it takes no time at all & for sure you will get reve reviews!!!

And if you are in a jif for time you could always use nutella whipped or reg for frosting &/or filling!!!!

camouflagegirl Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 26

BUMP

Does anyone have any OTHER ideas?

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 26

That is one nice looking dessert! That would be a good way to go. We're going to DH's cousins house this weekend. It's the first time we have been to his home, he was in our wedding party. Also, they got married last October and are now expecting. I am bringing a covered cake plate that I purchased and putting a few cupcakes and cake truffles (cake balls) and cheesecake truffles on it as a gift. Maybe not as nice looking as the cake with the strawberries, but I wanted to give a variety of goodies so that maybe she would like the taste of one of them and order something for her baby shower icon_wink.gif (or at least mention me to whoever may be throwing her shower)...

HTH

Jen

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 26

I tried to post a reply but failed. Look at this dessert. I served it recetly to rave reviews. The first attempt was a failure, I used a pyrex dish to bake them. I went out and bought a metal pan and they were wonderful.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7329088

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 26
reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 26

Chocolate wraps on cakes are always impressive looking, and they're pretty easy!

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:49pm
post #13 of 26

That triple-chocolate mousse cake looks delicious!

Jen

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 26

oh yeah..i printed it and have been looking day and night at it..lol!

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 6:07pm
post #15 of 26

I would make a tiramisu in a spring form pan, once it has cooled I would removed from the pan and make a chocolate wrap around and chocolate shaving on the top. I made these once for a very fancy dinner and everyone said it looked like something from a 5 star gourmet restaurant.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 6:10pm
post #16 of 26

I have been drooling over this cake for awhile now.....it sounds so good to me (and looks great too)....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=-52997

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 6:17pm
post #17 of 26

I have a recipe for a chocolate eclair cake. It is VERY good, but doesn't look really fancy. You ould make it in a very pretty clear dish, and it would look fancier. Everyone always thinks it is very hard to make, but it is really very simple. If you would like the recipe, feel free to pm me. It is better made the day before too.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 6:27pm
post #18 of 26

another cake I think is cool.. are these purse cakes.....can't wait to try one!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=-65838

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 6:28pm
post #19 of 26

I have heard many people making Toba Garret's Chocolate Cheesecake. It sounds amazing and you can decorate is any way you like!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-86088.html

Tracy

chubbycheeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbycheeks Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 6:49pm
post #20 of 26

Hmm. This is actually a hard decision! You need to know if they even like strawberries, chocolate, coconut, chocolate etc. Do you want to WOW them with your decorating skills, or more with the taste?

What about a cheesecake? Petit Fours (you can decorate these)? Pound cakes are ALWAYS good (you could do fresh strawberries on the side as well as a chocolate sauce - this could get a conversation started!).

Good luck with it - let us know what you decide! icon_smile.gif I have a recipe for "Death by Chocolate" that I've been dying to try! It's very extensive though so I don't know if you'd want to do it as a "first" time thing. PM me if you want the recipe.

camouflagegirl Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 9:53pm
post #21 of 26

Great ideas everyone. I'm more of a "big on taste" rather than "decorating" at the moment, because a lot of the bakers here in town are big on decorating, but the taste is lacking quality.

camouflagegirl Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:22pm
post #22 of 26

Anyone have anything on cookies or bars?

whitgent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitgent Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:32pm
post #23 of 26

a cake with ganache is always pretty and delish, i made a chocolate cake with a white chocolate buttercream and then spread ganache just on the top and made it drip down the sides using a bag with a #3 tip, no picture yet, though

lizzard14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzard14 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:41pm
post #24 of 26

Ya know...I think, if I was going to make something, I'd do a couple of batches of cake balls. They are awsome, and soooo many combinations, plus you could just take an assortment of a couple of different flavors and eat on them all night, kinda like grabbing a handful of M&Ms. They seem to WOW anyone and everyone that eats them, and everyone wants to know how you made them. We have fight night coming up next weekend and I already told DH, I'm taking an assortment of cakeballs for everyone.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:30am
post #25 of 26

Me...I would do a chocolate velvet torte...it's SO yummy, and oh so spectaculiar! It makes me think of a restaurant quality dessert.

Chocolate Velvet Torte

1 1/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs *
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup butter (no substitutes), melted
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
6 egg yolks
1-3/4 cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 cups confectioners' sugar
3 Tbsp baking cocoa
3 to 4 Tbsp milk

*I would suggest pulsing the graham crackers in either a food processor or blender to get a good texture crumb*

In a small bowl, combine chocolate graham cracker crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool. In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, cream and vanilla; beat well. Gradually stir a third of the cream mixture into melted chocolate until blended. Gradually stir in remaining cream mixture. Pour into crust.
Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
For frosting, in a mixing bowl, cream butter. Combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; add to butter with enough milk to achieve frosting consistency. Pipe into center of dessert. Refrigerate leftovers.

---It is VERY rich, and a 1" sliver would be enough for any chocoholic

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%