Broken Chocolate Cake

Decorating By sofiasmami Updated 11 Dec 2005 , 6:57pm by TexasSugar

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

yesterday I was baking a chocolate cake for my son's birthday in one of those silicone molds ...I had the feeling that I should put it on a cookie sheet first since the mold is so collapsible ... but I didn't listen to my first instict and put it straight in ... when I took it out I had a hard time handeling it and it broke in several pieces icon_cry.gif it was beyond repair .... no biggie since I have time to bake another one ... my question is what should I do with the broken cake ... I hate to throw it out... any suggestions?

6 replies
KCsmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCsmom98 Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 7

make cake balls, the adults can have these at the party instead of the kids cake. i haven't tried to make any yet...but from what i've read on here they are really good. sorry about your cake, hope everything works out . thumbs_up.gif

sofiasmami Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 7

how do I make cake balls?

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 7

there's a reicpe on another thread that talks about them...i dont know how to get u the link but look around...even maybe in the recipe section

sofiasmami Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 7

foud it! ... for anyone else who might be interested http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-11673-cake.html+balls

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 7

Here is Cookieman's recipe...

2 cups crumbled cake scraps
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (if cake scraps are not chocolate based)
1/4 cup chopped almonnds (or any other nut you like, or mini-chocolate chips, or M&Ms, you get the idea!)
2 generous shots of amaretto (or any other liquer you may like, a good non-alcohol substitution is any flavored coffee creamer)

Put all ingredients in a mixer and mix on medium speed until the ingedients form a ball. If the mixture seems too dry, add a bit more of the liquid used to make it moist enough to form into balls.

I use a tablespoon cookie scoop to make the balls uniform in size. Roll the scooped dough in your hands to form a nice smooth ball. Allow cake balls to set on a parchment lined cookie sheet for a couple of hours, then dip them in chocolate(following) or roll them in confectioners' sugar or cocoa.

Melt 1 lb. of candy melts and add approximately a tablespoons of crisco to make it a bit more smooth. Also, put the container (in my case, a pyrex measuring cup) of melted candy melts in a very hot (I use amost boiling) water bath to keep the chocolate fluid. dip balls into the chocolate using a spoon and a dipping fork (in my case, a plastic fork with the two middle tines cut out) Don't worry if the dipped balls have a "foot" at the base after drying. You can break some off after they have hardened and once they are in the little cake liners, no one will notice. Also, you can decorate the tops with just about anything, sprinkles, candy confetti, chopped nuts, etc. before they dry. Or after they've dried, pipe designs with royal icing or melted candy melts of differnet colors!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 7

Break it up in pieces, serve with fresh fruit and whip cream. Mmmm! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%