Help Buttercream Frosting Cracking

Decorating By sofiasmami Updated 10 Dec 2005 , 1:58am by sofiasmami

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I live in Miami the capital of heat and humidity icon_sad.gif . On two different occasions I've made cakes covered in buttercream and although I manage to get a smoth surface .... after a day or so the icing cracks ... can anyone tell me why this is happening and how do I prevent it? any enlightenment you can provide will be much appreciated.... thanks

6 replies
mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 7

I have had this happen before and read about a couple of different things---either not enough support on your cake board or any water that you may have used in BC.
Not of much help sorry! There have been several posts about this same thing. Maybe someone can provide better insight for you!

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 7

I always add 2 drops of vinegar to my icing. It prevents stress cracks and cracking.

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 7

Sounds like not enough support under the cake. Generally, cakes need at least two boards under them...sometimes three. I use masonite boards, cake drums, or foam core under my cakes to avoid this problem. HTH

rabiah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rabiah Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, the vinegar is a great tip. Also, if you are not using buttercream the very same day, you may want to make it a little looser and not so stiff.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 7

I would say it is from not enough support as well! I have heard that the cracks could also be from using water in your icing, instead of milk, but I don't find that to be true with my icing.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 1:58am
post #7 of 7

the support theory makes sence since both times it happend it was on a large cake and I only used one board ... now I know better! .. and I'll try the vinegar too .... have I told you guys lately how great you are? .... YOU ARE AWSOME !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%