~~Chocolate Or Caramel Apples~~

Decorating By cakeladyatLA Updated 11 Dec 2005 , 2:07am by maxiecakes

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 6

What recipe do you use, and more important, what kind of apples do you use?

On the food network Rachel Ray said to use FUJI, but the person that sold me the ingredients told me the GREEN APPLE SMITH it's the best one because they are not that sweet, what do you reccomend?

Pattty

Thanx

5 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 6

I've never made them using anything except pre-wrapped caramels from the store, so I can't help you there.

However, I do have a recommendation on choosing your apples. I would base it more on softness than flavor (both is best.) A soft apple like a macintosh won't stay on the stick very well, but I've always hated caramel apples made with hard apples like granny smith because it's just so hard to get a bite of anything except caramel. It's like your teeth hit the apple peel and stop. Bummer. Red and golden delicious are good texture, but unfortunately taste like cardboard. Maybe Jonagolds would work well.

carilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carilyn Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 4:36am
post #3 of 6

If you are doing the gourmet apples, I have also heard to useGranny Smith. You dont bite into these, it is cut up because there is so much stuff on them.

maxiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxiecakes Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 6

Speaking of gourmet apples, Iwas in MACY'S last weekend and they had them on sale 2 FOR $25.00 !!

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 6

I work at Costco and they have them at $8.49 for 2!!!!

Thanx for the tips everybody.

Pattty

maxiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxiecakes Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 2:07am
post #6 of 6

NOW THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!
I WOULD PAY $8.49 FOR TWO, BUT I REALLY THOUGHT $25.00 WAS SILLY FOR FACTORY MADE
CANDY APPLES.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%