My No Fail Sugar Cookies Are Salty

Baking By Chef_Mommy Updated 26 Dec 2005 , 4:40pm by artsygal

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 12

I have made this recipe twice and followed the recipe carefully and both times my cookies were kind of salty. I was wondering if anyone had this same thing happen or am I adding too much salt? Should I omit the salt next time I make them.

Thanks
Jackie

11 replies
erinlynn22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinlynn22 Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 12

Are you using Salted or Unsatled butter?

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 12

The difference would be if you used salted on unsalted butter.

Chef_Mommy Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 12

I always regular butter since the recipe doesn't say to use "unsalted butter". Is that what is going wrong? Should I use unsalted butter or shouldI omit the salt from the recipe.

Thanks
Jackie

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 12

I would try with unsalted butter...that's how I made them, and they were not salty.

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 12

I've made them 2 times now. Once I did salted..the other I did unsalted. The unsalted was best. I also reduced the salt by the slightest bit

erinlynn22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinlynn22 Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 12

I would use unsalted butter. I always bake with unsalted butter unless it specifically says use Salted butter. if you only have salted, don't add the Salt that the recipe calls for since there is Salt in the butter.

I made them with unsalted butter and they were wonderful.

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmosquera

I always regular butter since the recipe doesn't say to use "unsalted butter". Is that what is going wrong? Should I use unsalted butter or shouldI omit the salt from the recipe.

Thanks
Jackie

Golden Rule in Baking:
Butter = unsalted butter (unless is clearly says otherwise)
Eggs= large eggs, not extra large or jumbo (unless is says otherwise)

BUT if you only have salted butter, just eliminate 1/4 tsp salt from your recipe (that is how much is in 1 stick of butter)

Chef_Mommy Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks PerryStCakes!

I never knew that, like I said I just use what ever I have on hand. I'll go by those rules now.

Thanks to all for your advice also.

Jackie

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 5:44am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryStCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmosquera

Thanks
Jackie

Golden Rule in Baking:
Butter = unsalted butter (unless is clearly says otherwise)
Eggs= large eggs, not extra large or jumbo (unless is says otherwise)

BUT if you only have salted butter, just eliminate 1/4 tsp salt from your recipe (that is how much is in 1 stick of butter)

If you have Recipes from older cook books, then butter always referred to salted butter. In the newer cook books butter is usually unsalted.

Also, it's a good idea to check the back or the front of the book they will usually tell you which type they use in some obsecure location.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 12

Also, I've substituted shortening + water for the butter. I think I like it better that way. I'm probably not in the majority, but, I really don't like the buttery cookie. At least not for the decorated sugar cookie.

artsygal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsygal Posted 26 Dec 2005 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 12

A bit late coming into this thread.. but another thought is.. what kind of salt are you using? I made a batch and used kosher salt - which is was in 'flakes' .. I only had that or larger crystals of sea salt that I grind up in a second pepper mill.. and when eating the cookies I'd come across a tiny bit that was salty because the salt didn't dissolve completly. *I* kind of liked it - it cut the sweetness of the frosting a bit, but I wasn't sure how others would respond, so I remade them - using my 'freshly ground' salt this time... much better. Don't ask me why I didn't think of doing it that way the first time.. I don't know.

So.. if your salt has bigger granules than normal, that may be affecting the taste...

Jas

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%