Is Whipped Cream Icing Hard To Deco With?

Decorating By D77 Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 9:24pm by D77

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 14

My family and I really love the whipped cream icing. Now, I have never worked with it and I am kind of new at this. So my question is; is it very difficult to work with? And if so should I wait until I get more experience under my belt to try?

TIAFA

13 replies
karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 14

I agree, its very delicious, but not great for decorating with, because of its consistency. Easy to frost the cake with, and you could do a pretty shell border around the top and bottom, but not good for making decorations like roses or fancy borders.

HTH,

Jenn

committed2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
committed2cake Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 14

our cake decorator at work encourages us to order with buttercream, she says the whipped is tougher and colors can run. But a lady ordered a kit cake the other day with whipped, and it was quite elaborate, and it was great. She put it in the cooler as soon as she was done, I would like to know exactly what problems people run into with whipped...

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 14

I use the wilton whipped cream to frost and decorate cake. It does make good shells flowers and sometimes I can get a rose done. I also have used the Rich's non dairy whipcream and I can also do the same. They both taste good.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 14

If you make a stableized whipped cream it is easier to work with. I use the one from Wilton website. You have to work pretty fast or put it into the fridge when it starts to get too warm. Then you can take it back out and continue to decorate.
I also tried bettercreme, which is a non-dairy whipped topping. I found that the one that is in a carton was way too sweet, but it was great for decorating, and the one in the can was just like plain whipped cream. It tasted good but you could not decorate with it. Stablelized whipped cream worked better for decorating.

D77 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the replies, now that I know this and have some experience in decorating a cake - I feel bad for the bakery I always ordered my cakes from - cuz that was all I ever ordered.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 14

I tried whipped bc last weekend and it worked well for decorating. Not as well as reg bc but it was a good middle ground between whipped and bc. I got the recipe off of CC. It's the football cake in my gallery.

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 14

My most of the cakes decorated with stabilized whipped cream.
If you fold your color with chopstick or any kind of stick it will not run. If you feel its runny then keep in refrigerator for 5 minutes then it will be good to decorate.

Thanks
Nitu

D77 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 14

Has anyone ever frosted with wc and deco with bc? what would that be like?

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 14

You can do that but if its on the edges then it will fell down. BC is heavier than WC. But you can decorate with BC on the plain surface.

Thanks
Nitu

D77 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 14

I have two questions on this topic:

1. When you frost a cake with stabilized whipped cream but decorate it with buttercream, do the buttercream colors run or bleed into the whipped cream?

2. The recipe I have for stabilized whipped cream calls for a little bit of knox gelatin. What consistency should the gelatin be when I add it to the whipped cream? I tried making it once with the gelatin fairly set and it did not mix in at all. I had to throw the whole batch of chunky whipped cream out. Yuck!

Thank you! icon_smile.gif
patti

Nicks3Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicks3Angels Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 14

I have not had good luck with my homemade whipped frosting, but I found out (from another site) that places like BJ's, Costco or Sam's Club's bakery will dell you a big tube of their whipped frosting, which decoartes just fine & tastes awesome! If someone requests whipped frosting, I always let them know it will be Sam's whipped frosting. I have colored, done flowers with it, done character cakes & used the star tips with it & it is great. Plus, you can actually leave it at room temp. You just need to fold it gently & not whip it like crazy otherwise too much air gets in it & makes it bubbly.

D77 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 14

Well, I tried 2 of the WC icings that I found on this site. One with the geltin - i did not like. I think I did something wrong because I could feel the geltin in it. The other, was too much like whip cream it was good but not for a cake. Any hints on that. Thanks for the tip nicks3angels, I am going to call around when I would like to use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%