Am I Allowed?

Business By RaRaRobyn Updated 12 Dec 2005 , 2:47pm by celebrations

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 3:44am
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a huge cake for my husband's squadron party on the 16th, and about 2 dozen snowman cupcakes for the squadron children's chrstmas party on the 19th. The coordinator told me to make sure I had my business cards there for people to grab. I said "No problem"

Well, I don't have business cards! I wouldn't mind making my own on the computer, but am I allowed to get paid business with have a business license? Is it a huge deal? I'm only going to be here for 3 more months, so it would be pointless for me to go through the process when I'm moving out of state. Does anyone else do this??

4 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 5:05am
post #2 of 5

It all depends on where you live, some places this would be considered advertising, other places you can give a card with your name and phone number but don't mention cakes, it really varies a lot. Sorry not much help but it is something that can vary from town to town in some areas.
Hugs Squirrelly

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks SC. I think I'll just put a folded card saying my name and #.

I appreciate your response!


MontiBellesBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MontiBellesBakery Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 5

If you are going to be on military bases for a while, and you want to be a legitimate business, I would register the business in whatever your home town is. That way you can take it wherever you go and be operating legally.

For this occasion, I would stick to the name and phone number only option.

celebrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celebrations Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 5

I have been an army spouse for 18 years and to be quite honest this can be a tricky situation. I have also been doing cakes for a long time. You are legally not allowed to charge a price without a business license. They can donate to you if they want. If you live on base, you can't run a business out of your home. You can be put out of housing for it. The catch is, Its all about supply and demand. The places we have been stationed has either had really crappy bakeries around or none at all. This is where it gets tricky. You must make friends with the food inspectors ( I am not kidding.)They are right there in the commissary. this has always made a difference. You must provide a stellar product which cannot be compared to anything else available and do not undercharge for you cakes. It is quality that people look for. The cheapskates can make it themselves. Make sure you are always wearing hairnets and your home is spotless, your friend the food inspector will back you up, if need be. If you get caught, which I haven't and I have even made cakes for the General's birthday, then you tell them you had no idea it was against regs and quite frankly you stop. Then you petition to run a business out of your quarters. Do not do that first as they will shoot it down, but once you have a clientele they will see how valuable you are. Oh and also a really big thing is you MUST buy all your available supplies from the commissary.(This is a biggy.) Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%