Stabilized Whipped Cream?

Baking By crouton800 Updated 25 Dec 2005 , 10:19pm by MakeItYours

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 16

Hi Ladies,

Could someone tell me what is stabilized whipped cream? Is it just that it can sit out longer in a warm place, or pipe better? I presume, it still requires refridgeration? And what's the difference when you use meringue powder, gel or the gelatine receipes? Can this be used for fillings as well as frostings?

Thanks so much!!

15 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 16

Here is the Wilton recipe:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/stable.cfm

I also like to add some regular sugar that I have run thru the food processor (so it's finer) because I like a sweeter wc. I add it when the wc is at soft peak stage. I also use regular vanilla and really don't notice much of a color change.

This icing has to be refridgerated and is best used when it's made. It can be colored (dark colors may bleed a bit) and can be used for simple decorations.

There are other recipes that use geletine and dream whip, I think but I'm not familiar with those.
Hope this helps!
icon_smile.gif

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 16

I heard somewhere you can add corn syrup in whipping cream and then whip.
Or you can add some unflavored gelatin for stiff consistency for whipped cream.
If you got any other good recipe then please send me.

Thanks
Nitu

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 16

I use the recipe from the Wilton site using the piping gel. I have also used the Whip It by Oetker. I must say that I do find that using the Wilton recipe with the piping gel, I find that the whipping cream stays stable a lot longer. Cakes covered with this last 3-4 days in the refrigerator without the cream starting to break down. I am not as fond of the recipe for stabilized whipping cream that calls for the unflavoured or Knox gelatine powder.
Hugs Squirrelly

dodibug Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

I use the recipe from the Wilton site using the piping gel. I have also used the Whip It by Oetker. I must say that I do find that using the Wilton recipe with the piping gel, I find that the whipping cream stays stable a lot longer. Cakes covered with this last 3-4 days in the refrigerator without the cream starting to break down. I am not as fond of the recipe for stabilized whipping cream that calls for the unflavoured or Knox gelatine powder.
Hugs Squirrelly

Squirrelly and I were just discussing this the other day and she is very right about the Wilton recipe not breaking down. I had made a practice cake with the wilton wc and it looked exactly the same as when I had put it in the fridge as when I took it out 4 days later (forgot it was in there!!)

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 3:06am
post #6 of 16

Yes, it is interesting how much longer it holds up. I think I expected the Oetker Whip It to hold up the longest, so I did a comparison and was surprise, so far the Wilton method for me has had the best results.
Heehee, now how did you forget there was a dessert in the fridge, haha, around here, that just plain would be impossible!
Hugs Squirrelly

dodibug Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 16

Now....I didn't say there was much left!!! icon_lol.gif

And I am so glad you told me about the Oetker not holding up as well. I was having a fit trying to find it here!

crouton800 Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks everyone for sharing those tips! icon_biggrin.gif

I would always wonder how the cakes in the bakery look so good and to my surprise they tell me it's fresh cream...although i don't know what else is in there!

crouton800 Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 16

Help!
I tried the wilton receipe for stabilzed whipped cream with the piping gel and it turned out to be a disaster!
after whipping the cream to soft peaks , i added the gel and i was waiting for the cream to thicken but it only converted to a curdelled mess like scramble eggs. and it didn't take too long to do that! i don't know what happened! icon_cry.gif
i had used the same batch of unwhipped cream to whip up a cup for my tiramisu receipe which turned out fine. I've whipped cream many times. I'm just thinking, since i used the local baking supplier's piping gel and not Wiltons....could that have made the difference?

Any feedback is much appreciated!!

dodibug Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 10:06pm
post #10 of 16

Hmmm, first off sorry it turned into a mess! I found from my experience that whipped cream is a touchy animal and it took me a few times of making it to get a feel for it. I don't know if using a local brand would make a difference. I have used CK brand before as well as the wilton. It's very easy to go too far on the whipping part too. Sometimes I stop before it gets to the stiff peaks and finish it off by hand just so I have more control over the end result. Some of the others may have some ideas as to what happened but don't dispair give it a try again!!

MakeItYours Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MakeItYours Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 1:53am
post #11 of 16

I always use the Super-Stabilized Whipped Cream recipe from the The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. I love this recipe and it always turns out perfect for me.

Makes 2 Cups

1/2 to 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin (I use 1 tspn Knox original)
4 teaspoons water
1 cup of heavy cream
1 Tablespoon of sugar (I usually add aprx 3 Tbls to make sweeter)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Refridgerate the mixing bowl and beater for at least 15 minutes.

In a small heatproof measuring cup place gelatin and water. Allow to soften 5 minutes. Set cup in a pan of simmering water and stir occasionally until gelatin is dissolved. (I use the microwave on high power for about 10 seconds or so and stir.) Remove cup and cool to room temperature (about 7 minutes.) Gelatin must be liquid but not warm when added to cream.

In the chilled bowl beat the cream and sugar just until traces of beater marks begin to show distinctly. Add the gelatin mixture in a steady stream, beating constantly. Add vanilla and beat just until stiff peaks form when beater is raised. Use at once to pipe roses. To keep their shape, freeze the roses before placing them on the cake. Whipped cream can be refrigerated for a few hours before piping rosettes.

I hope this helps you,

Dawn

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 2:22am
post #12 of 16

Hey Dawn, thanks for posting that recipe. How does it color and decorate?? Also, how much cake does that cover?? I've had someone request a cool-whip type icing and I'm wondering if this would be good??? icon_confused.gif

MakeItYours Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 4:36am
post #13 of 16

I have only colored it twice. Once with my baby shower cake and once with my first birthday cake. It seemed to be fine, but I am not good at coloring my icing. It was a little difficult to pipe with. You have to be real fast or it melts fairly fast. I had to keep putting it in the refridgerator, that is why I don't really pipe anything with it anymore. But to ice and fill a cake I love it. I don't know exactly how much cake that would cover. I usually make a double batch and I have leftovers. I don't think it tastes like cool whip really, it is truly whipped cream. I am sure that this recipe would be just fine.

Hope this helps.

Dawn

crouton800 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 16

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for sharing the receipe!thumbs_up.gif

i'll give this one a shot and let you know!

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 23 Dec 2005 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 16

Makeityours....that is the same recipe that can be used for a black forest cake, right? How many batches do you think it would take?

MakeItYours Posted 25 Dec 2005 , 10:19pm
post #16 of 16

I'm sorry peanut2, I have never made a black forest cake so I am not sure if it is the same recipe but it makes 2 cups.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%