I am planning a cake for next weekend and will be using candy molds with the candy melts and flavor oil. I need one half of each candy one color, and the other half a different color. How would I do this?
Are you starting off with the white candy melts and will you be putting both colors into the same mold?
Yes. I'll be starting with white candy melts. Half ofthe mold should be green or red or whatever, and the other half will be silver.
If you are using different colors..you put the first one in and let it harden...a few minutes in the fridge then you top it off with the other....If I'm reading your question wrong....forgive me
If you're wanting to color the whites then you have to use oil-based food coloring. I know Wilton makes these for their candy melts. You can't use the regular food colorings because it'll cause them to sieze. Wilton also has already colored red or green candy melts too. I don't know what you could use for the silver. I haven't seen that before.
Well...maybe I am overthinking this. How do you keep all the candy in that half of the mold? The left side would be colored and the right side would be silver. Maybe I'm not explaining this well.
The division between colors is vertical. The mold is Christmas lights. I want the bulb part colored and the bottom parrt (that screws into the socket) silver.
Do you have a picture?
You can paint the colors you want onto the mold. Let dry, then fill the mold. Am I helping at all or are you wanting something else?
How do I paint the colors onto the mold? Just paint with the food coloring? Also, I was planning on making the candy melts grey, then adding silver luster dust to get the silver color. Is this wrong? I've never used candy melts or molds before.
the method that I mentioned should work...you can put the silver colored candy in let it harden and then put in the candy for the bulb part.....if not...you can do it all in one color and then paint the screw part silver....or am i still misunderstanding
you use the colored candy melts to paint in the mold...you can use a paint brush or either the squeeze bottles.
Depending on how big your molds are you can either use a squeeze bottle or paint brush.
you have never used the candy molds before so...you are probably just second guessing yourself....don't...they are really easy to use....you can even use them to mold fondant pieces....have fun with it..
yeah...I would paint in the screw part silver/gray..let that set for a minute and then fill up the rest of the mold with the other the color then let that set (it should only take a few minutes in the fridge or freezer) then you could paint on the screw part with the luster dust
You don't have to completely feel the different parts of the mold with different colors. Put some melted candy melts on a plate and use a paint brush (the plastic ones that look like the kids brushes are fine for this) and paint the section that you want a different color. Be sure to paint up the sides as well. You don't have to make a super thick layer though you do want it covered well. Hold it up to the light. If you see some thin spots then you can add some more to it. Let this set up. After it has set up then you can add the second color to the mold, filling it up completely.
OK I see what you're saying. So it will be fine to mix some luster dust into the candy melts to get the silver color? Or would it be better to paint the silver dust on afterward? Just wondering? I have a tendency to ask way too many questions. Sorry. I'm a worrier!
Its better to paint after.
So it would be better to go ahead and fill the mold with the color I want the light bulb to be, then paint the luster dust on afterward by mixing it with a little clear vanilla? Is that right? I think I've crossed over the line from worried to paranoid now. LOL!
I have used the dust on my seashells (candy) and I just brush it right on. No liquid. But you can try it first w/o the liquid.
I do tons of painted chocolates. Are you sure you want to do silver? I would just do the gray color. Just a thought!
I thought it would look better with that extra sparkle. You don't agree? The cake will be three- layer whimsical. Each layer will be green on the bottom half and white on the top half. The "lights" will go around the border where the layers meet. (Attempting to get an abstract whimsical Christmas tree effect.)
No, no! it sounds great! I just thought it may be easier and less stressful (?) for you! LOL
Can I get grey with Wilton black color? I'd like to spend as little extra as possible since this is such a big cake anyway.
Ok so I started making some of the candies for next week's cake. I have now been banned from my own kitchen.
I started with green candy melts. I read the directions on the back of the package: "put melts into approved Wilton bottle and melt in microwave thirty seconds at a time stirring constantly. Be careful not to overmelt." Ok...not a problem...or so I thought.
I heated them 45 seconds (15 second increments just to be careful) and stirred after each increment. I added my flavoring and stirred again making sure there were no lumps. I screwed the tip on very tightly, and then I tried to fill the molds.
This is where I had the blowout! It wouldn't come out. I thought "Hmmm... maybe I just need to squeeze a little harder. It might be thicker than I thought." So I squeezed a little harder. Then....
BAM! I had a huge green streak running all the way across my kitchen table, up the wall, and onto the ceiling. You know...that stuff doesn't come off very easily either.
What did I do wrong?
I'm not really sure what went wrong...It may be easier for you to use the disposable decorating bags instead of the bottles...that way it would be similar to decorating a cake (refering to the feel of the bag in your hands) and you can actually see the candy melts and what's going on with them.
Personally, I wouldn't EVER melt any chocolate for molding in my microwave. I only ever do it the double boiler way. It took one time of trying it to see what a friend did wrong, to know that is NOT the way to go (for me).
If you got REALLY confident, yonad you have an old mold that you could cut some pieces of the food dafe plastic off of, I suppose you could try to make a dam at the end where the screw tip is at, and pour either color first, let it harden, then pour the other.
Just a thought. (I always like to experiment when I can, so who know if this will work?)
Misdawn - it sounds like maybe the opening at the tip was too small? Maybe try cutting it a tad to make the opening a little bit larger...that could help. If the candy melts were kind of thick (after melting) that could mean it would need a larger opening in the tip to flow out easily...just typing out loud here!! lol Good luck!
I added my flavoring and stirred again making sure there were no lumps.
What kind of flavoring did you use?
do one color first then do the other.. let it set first or it will run. unless u want to marble it and give it a pretty effect
I used Wilton raspberry oil based candy flavoring. I bought it at Michaels.
I'm gonna guess that there might have been a small chunk of candy melts in there that got stuck. I've had that happen even if I thought it was all melted.
I'm really not a fan of the bottles for candy melts. I always use bowls and spoons or the disposable bags.