Decorating By Misdawn Updated 10 Dec 2006 , 12:53am by playingwithsugar

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 11:38pm
post #31 of 39

I may try that next time.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:02pm
post #32 of 39

Ok, this is what I do for a living. I make homemade chocolates and hand painted chocolates. Tons of them. I never use the microwave. I use an electric fry pan. I place my jars of different colors in the pan, then I have a large glass bowl for the milk choc. Then I fill with water up to the level where it won't spill over. I put it on the lowest setting. I use this method as I start working with it at 7 am and am still working at 1am! I never have a problem. When you use the bottles, it never fails. The choc. that is lodged in the squeeze part will harden. People use a heating pad with the bottles, but I never had success. I do too much volume to be bothered with keeping the bottle free and clear. Helen

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:08pm
post #33 of 39

Helen, that is the same thing I do. I usually do ALOT of these, but since the cakes came along the candy melts have sort of gotten pushed to the back burner so to speak. I usually work out of tall baby food jars and I put a washcloth in the bottom of the electric skillet to keep the jars from scratching the non-stick coating.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:09pm
post #34 of 39

The chocolate and candy doesn't burn that way? It seems like it would burn on the bottom.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:44pm
post #35 of 39

no, I have never had a problem with it. Just keep it on the lowest setting and make sure you have enough water in the skillet. It is like a hot water bath and keeps the choc at a steady temp. while you are working. Bonus is I can just put the lid on the skillet (after it is completely cooled,if still hot, steam and water dropplets will get in the choc and cause it to seize)and keep working with out having to get everything ready to go again. Bonus if your working through nap time and bed time with kids.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 10:12pm
post #36 of 39

No, it never burns. As New said, keep plenty of water in the pan. You can keep an eye on the temp. Keep lowering it. I don't even put the washcloth in mine on the bottom. But sounds like a good idea! Helen

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 12:57pm
post #37 of 39

I don't have a fry pan but I have a crock pot and I'm going to try this method.

For the record, I tried bottles of chocolate and had a hard time. I decided I will only use bags from now on. The bottles were a headache and a half.

StCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StCakes Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 12:34am
post #38 of 39

I am trying my hand at molded chocolates for the first time (It's looking like it's gonna be a homemade Christmas this year). I've been doing the tapping on the counter with the molds after I fill each section, but mine always spreads into the other crevices that I dont want colored with that color. Will this happen? Is there a way to prevent this? I've been cleaning out the other crevices with a cotton swab, but it always leaves a streaky residue.
As far as painting, I have done up to 7 coats of color and my molds are still somewhat transparent. Is this normal as well?

CandyLadyHelen, your method is to use jars of chocolatw in your electric frying pan. Are you referring to small glass jars such as baby food jars and smaller or a special chocolate jar?

Sorry for all the questions!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 12:53am
post #39 of 39

Are you using candy melts? That could be the problem. They are very translucent to begin with, and when you add the warmed melted chocolate, it seems to melt the candy melts away.

I would suggest that you use colored cocoa butter instead. I have had great success with it. It can be found online.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%