How Do I Torte A Chacature Cake

Decorating By mpitrelli Updated 6 Dec 2005 , 5:09pm by mpitrelli

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 1:40am
post #1 of 11

I was asked to make a birthday cake. The persons birthday is on christmas day so her DH wants a christmas cake. He picked out the santa pan but he wants it torted. Is it possible to torte these cakes and if so how do I go about doing it. Thanks in advance for your help.

10 replies
jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 1:47am
post #2 of 11

I would torte as you would any other cake. Just make sure that your shapes match when replacing your top layer. I use the Wilton cake leveler to accomplish this.

I know that it seems intimidating, but it is not as hard as you would think. The first I did it I thought I was going to die of a heart attack.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 2:04am
post #3 of 11

Squirrelly (I think) gave me a great idea a couple of month ago. She lines up toothpicks where she is going to do the torting and then when you put it back together--you just line them back up.

Also, I now do all my torting with fishing line (my dh's idea) it works GREAT! I have my own spool of it in my cake "tackle" box.

Lisa

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 3:09am
post #4 of 11

Torte it just as you would any other cake..just make sure you keep the peices in order so that they go back together properly

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 4:06am
post #5 of 11

And if you torte with a knife, it is really easy to torte a frozen cake. It is much easier to torte a cake that has sat covered for at least eight hours too.
Hugs Squirrelly

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 4:14am
post #6 of 11

I was considering torting the bear pan, but I was afraid...now I am gonna try.....

Squirrelly, I love the new signature!!!! thumbs_up.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 4:22am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randa_000

I was considering torting the bear pan, but I was afraid...now I am gonna try.....

Squirrelly, I love the new signature!!!! thumbs_up.gif

You don't mean the stand-up bear pan do you? Just the flat one?
And thanks.
Hugs Squirrelly

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 4:30am
post #8 of 11

[/quote]
And thanks.
Hugs Squirrelly[/quote]

the flat one....yea, I didn't think you could torte the stand-up one.... or can you???

SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 4:37am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randa_000

And thanks.
Hugs Squirrelly[/quote]

the flat one....yea, I didn't think you could torte the stand-up one.... or can you???[/quote]
Well, nothing is impossible, that is for sure, it just wouldn't be something I would do. Mainly because it could get unstable and also, serving it would be messier. I just wanted to check what you meant. For these stand-up bears, I cut then down the centre and then cut those halves in halve and cut pieces from that. I think if you torted it, it would be a mess to serve, however it could be done. Heehee, just not by me it won't!
Instead of torting character cakes, I make them two layer depending on which pan it is, I find that they are not as deep as I would like, torted and filled unless they are two full layers.
Hugs Squirrelly

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpitrelli

I was asked to make a birthday cake. The persons birthday is on christmas day so her DH wants a christmas cake. He picked out the santa pan but he wants it torted. Is it possible to torte these cakes and if so how do I go about doing it. Thanks in advance for your help.

I mark a few marks here and there on the bottom board that cake is sitting on, torte the cake with the Wilton Seperator (the thin wire one) and slide another board under the top layer, mark on the second board to match the bottom board and lift. (does that make sense?) Then when I replace it, I have everything marked where it goes.

I see a post with toothpicks too! thats a good idea,will have to try that!

the only cake I had a REALLY hard time torting was the guitar cake. The sides were too slanted and I couldn't get a good hold of it. It was Fun!

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone for the help. I now feel more confident in my ability to do it. I'll let everyon know how it comes out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%