Anyone Have Problems With The Wilton Large Cake Leveler?

Decorating By mdutcher Updated 9 Mar 2007 , 4:32pm by evesloven

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:52pm
post #31 of 46

Was this the thread with the Agbay link on it? I thought it was but I'm not seeing it. It has a great video on the Agbay leveler in use... icon_eek.gif I want... icon_eek.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:31am
post #32 of 46

It's late, and I haven't read this entire thread, but I just had my first major problem with the Wilton large leveler the other day, and I've been using the thing for 3 years or so.

I realized that this was because I was trying to cut a completely from scratch butter cake instead of a doctored mix. The doctored mixes are so much lighter than the butter cake. The dang thing (a silly 10") actually cut so poorly that I had to make a new cake! icon_mad.gif I was shocked and thought with a heavy sigh about that one (oh come on, now I can't remember the company's name -- Amaco or something like that???? Anyone know? It's too late and I need to go to bed! icon_confused.gif ) that sells the $250.00 leveler - guaranteed to do the job right the first time! Perhaps I'll save my pennies for that.

In any case, I ended up using my good old bread cutting knife. I don't like using a knife, but will do so in a pinch.

Sorry to hear you had such trouble.

Sarah

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:22pm
post #33 of 46
tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 12:28am
post #34 of 46

Thank you bobwonderbuns! icon_biggrin.gif

Sarah

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 12:40am
post #35 of 46

That "tool" is a piece of trash. icon_mad.gif I am going to buy myself an Agbay.

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:02pm
post #36 of 46

I, too, have a lot of problems with the Wilton Large Leveler. The funny part of it is, I was just at a class at the Wilton School, and when the instructor was torting the cake, she used something other than the Wilton leveler. I told her about my problems and about this thread, and she just looked at me and smiled.
I went home and told my DH about it (he had listened to me fuss about it so many times), and bless his heart, he told me I needed the right tools for the job! I found one for $99 at Sweet Celebrations, and he bought it for me! The best part, it was the same on that the instructor used!!!
I feel a lot of torting in my future! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 11:24pm
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by selahmycat

I, too, have a lot of problems with the Wilton Large Leveler. The funny part of it is, I was just at a class at the Wilton School, and when the instructor was torting the cake, she used something other than the Wilton leveler. I told her about my problems and about this thread, and she just looked at me and smiled.
I went home and told my DH about it (he had listened to me fuss about it so many times), and bless his heart, he told me I needed the right tools for the job! I found one for $99 at Sweet Celebrations, and he bought it for me! The best part, it was the same on that the instructor used!!!
I feel a lot of torting in my future! icon_lol.gif

Which one did you use?? Can you post a picture of it or a link to it?? Thanks!! icon_smile.gif By the way, I find it VERY interesting that an instructor AT the Wilton School would do that -- remember, the Wilton way is the ONLY way... icon_confused.gificon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gif

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:51pm
post #38 of 46

http://www.sweetc.com/
Here is the web site. Click on catalog, and it is on page 63. It wouldn't let me copy and paste the picture.
This is the same one that the instructor used. It has been a very long time since I have ordered for Sweet Celebrations (in fact last time I order they were still Maid Of Scandivia) and they were super nice!
Hope this helps!

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:40pm
post #39 of 46

Just order one. I'll let you know how it works Hope it get here soon!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:23am
post #40 of 46

I haven't had the problems you all are describing with my large Wilton leveler and I've had it for like 6 years now but I will keep your other products in mind....

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:39pm
post #41 of 46

I just saw that video! I know what I want for my birthday now!!! The only thing that was troubling was the casual way she just tossed that top away. Geeze, hasn't she heard of cake balls?!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:49pm
post #42 of 46

I actually like my Wilton large leveler. If it's a large sheet cake try cutting from one side half way and then do the other side until it meets your first cut. That might help but even if it's not even I just use frosting & filling to patch it up and make it level.
Jacqui

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:00pm
post #43 of 46

I must be the only one who has no problems with the large leveler. I use it on all my cakes. It's the small wire one that sucks! The wire flexes and makes for an uneven cut.

As far as that agbay, sure it looks like it cuts real smooth but look what she has the cake sitting on. It's sitting on a stainless steel counter top. The cake will stick to that and the cake won't slide on the counter while cutting. It provides great resistance. If I were to do that on my laminate countertop it would slide around or even on the cake board. I'd have to glue it to the surface first.

I can't see spending that kind of money! I would be great to have just for the fact that you can cut multiple layers and that's about it.

Amy

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:07pm
post #44 of 46

That video made my jaw drop open! I want one! *whining*

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:16pm
post #45 of 46

Someone gave me an old leveler but the blade wasn't good anymore I was gonna throw it away but then a woman told me "back in my days we cut cakes with dental floss" I took the blade off and tried waxed dental floss. Works great for me and it's cheap too.

evesloven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesloven Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:32pm
post #46 of 46

Hrm. That's interesting indeed. I have both of the Wilton levelers, small one and the large one. I HATE the wire one...I recently got the large leveler and I absolutely LOVE it!! It's one of my favorite items. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I did notice that it seems a little chintzy though..so I can see how there could be issues. I was totally impressed with the agbyproducts one...holy cow that's awesome!! If my orders start going up anymore than they have I'll start saving to invest in one. That's like MULTI-Purpose!! LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%