Before We Move On To Christmas...

Lounge By mudpie Updated 29 Nov 2005 , 6:40pm by llee815

mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:52am
post #1 of 7

So much talk and preparation went into Thanksgiving.

Now that we're all back here and back to our normal weekly schedule...thought we could re-cap the holiday before we get immersed in Christmas, Hanukah, etc.

How did it go? Any funny stories? Were the desserts a hit?

6 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:56am
post #2 of 7

Now I would like to hear some stories too, bearing in mind that even Martha Stewart burned her first turkey!
Hugs Squirrelly

mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:58am
post #3 of 7

Did she REALLY!!! My first one was white as a ghost. BUt it tasted great!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 6:07am
post #4 of 7

Haha, well that brings a whole new meaning to "White Meat"!
Yes, Martha was talking about the first time she hosted Thanksgiving. She bought a turkey from a turkey farm down the road from her house and she put it in the oven and went for a nap. Apparently she had accidentally put the oven on "Broil" and burned it to a crisp. So she had her hubby call around and it turned out that the place where she had bought the turkey had one left, I believe they had put it in the freezer so she had to defrost and cook in a hurry. Sort of was nice to find out that she has had her share of disasters too, like everyone else.
Mine was one year, when my daughter was in baking school, they had a fund raiser and sold the pumpkin pies the students had made. Well, she had this one student in her class that could not be trusted, eventually she was expelled for deliberately messing up recipes. Anyway, at the time, the other students didn't trust her, so her only job was to measure the salt and add to the mix. Well let me tell you, there was enough salt in those pies to choke a horse, haha! Normally I would have made my own but you know, you want to support the college. Haha, well even the whipping cream couldn't kill the taste of those pies, geesh! Good thing I had made other pies too. But to get that taste out of our mouths was something else. You could just see the funny looks on everyone's face when they bit into the pie.
Now it is a running joke whenever I serve pumpkin pie.
Hugs Squirrelly

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 11:17am
post #5 of 7

This wasn't really a disaster, but it ruined my cookies. It was our first Thanksgiving being married - about 12 yrs ago. We were living in an apartment - a pretty crappily run place. Anyhow, I was baking some really cute pilgrim cookies, using DH's favorite cutout recipe. I turn the oven light on, and it exploded. Some moron had thought it was OK to use a regular light bulb in the oven. icon_rolleyes.gif I had broken glass and light bulb debris all over my cookies. *sigh*

If only that was the only thing wrong in that place... icon_rolleyes.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 7

I cant say I have any funny stories...but things turned out great (darn-it icon_lol.gif) now it looks like I have to do Christmas dinner too icon_lol.gif

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry no funny stories here. I'd love to hear some though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%