How Do I Get This Smooth?

Decorating By evesloven Updated 19 Feb 2007 , 2:00am by evesloven

evesloven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesloven Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, I'm posting a pic of the baby shower cake I did today. I loved how the overall cake turned out, but the buttercream drove me crazy!! I've tried the papertowel method, the foam roller method, the hot knife, the bench scraper, the spackling kinves, the parchment paper...HELP! LOL...maybe I just mess with it too much and that's what goes wrong. My buttercream crusts really well and I usualy wait 20 minutes before I try the smoothing....does anyone have any ideas?
LL

13 replies
onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 14

very pretty cake..i use the roller method myself and it works pretty well

is this cake chocolate? im asking because on the bottom tier it looks like the cake is peeking through..maybe adding more icing would work better

i put on the icing smooth it as best i can..let is crust then use the roller.

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 14

I don't use the paper towel method so, I don't know about that technique.
But for the other methods when you are first icing your cake, you need to smooth it then - not after it crusts. Using a turntable and a long straight edge, just keep going around the cake until it is smooth. I usually start with a pretty thick layer of buttercream on the sides. Also, make sure your buttercream is very thin. I don't follow the Wilton recipe, it is too thick for me (add a touch more water). Also, if you have butter in your recipe, you want to work in a warm room so the butter is very soft. Unfortunately the only other advice I have is to practice. icon_smile.gif

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 14

evesloven,
When you use the Viva method do you smooth with your hand first? Also, what type of BC are you using. The BC I use does not have any butter in it, it is all crisco with butter flavoring. Also, maybe 20 minutes is to long to wait. I usually wait between 10 and 15 minutes then start smoothing mine. Finally, do you use the icer tip to put the icing on your cake. That always seems to help me.
HTH,
Bradymom

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 14

Do I detect some air bubbles in the icing? Maybe that's why you couldn't get it real smooth. It is such a cute cake, I'm sure no one will care if it's not super smooth.
I swear by the foam roller now.

Diane

evesloven Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:00am
post #6 of 14

You know...I never have tried the icer tip...I think I'll have to give that one a shot. Yup..those are air bubbles...when I make my icing, I use butter and crisco and always have a problem with air bubbles...that's practice on my part..I just whip it up too much. icon_wink.gif next cake I do will have to be with the cake icer tip...maybe that will help since it'll give me an even layer of icing to work with...I think I just take off too much. icon_wink.gif Thanks for the great tips guys!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:03am
post #7 of 14

First let me say that its one of the cutest darn cakes I have ever seen!!!! Your characters are AMAZING and totally ADORABLE!!! I am not sure if its the monitor of my laptop or not so forgive me but the top tier looks smoother to me than the bottom. It isnt at all lumpy or anything jsut not super smooth...did you maybe let it crust a little too long then try to smooth again? Or possibly is the icing on the bottom not thick enough? I am a little too heavy handed with my icing I am sure, but I am usually able to get it smoother that way. Either way I am sure nobody other than yourself will notice anything except that it is gorgeous!!!

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:04am
post #8 of 14

the cake is beautiful thumbs_up.gif

I would do the hot knife before it crusts

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:05am
post #9 of 14

Just wanted to add that your cake and fondant figures are absolutley adorable! I love that cake, and hope you got the money/self satisfaction out of it that you deserve, despite the fact that you were unhappy with your icing smoothness!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:06am
post #10 of 14

Oh this is SOOO adorable! I am definitely saving it to my favorites!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:14am
post #11 of 14

I think your cake looks fine after all the decorations it really hides everything that you are talking about that's why I love cakes with lots of decorations!!!!

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:20am
post #12 of 14

You're cake is very pretty..........Is the butterfly fondant? Also, I'm the same way about trying to smooth the icing, I finally end up taking off too much, that's kinda what your bottom cake looks like. I swear by the high density foam roller technique. I have used it on the last couple of cakes I've made and it smoothed out perfectly.

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 1:58am
post #13 of 14

I use the spackling knife to smooth the icing, but that must be done before the icing has crusted - straight after you've put it on. The knife must be at least tall as the cake too.

As for the air bubbles - I mix on lowest speed and still get them like crazy, you need to spend a while "mashing" them out with a spatula. It does help. The more you mash, the less bubbles.

The icer tip makes apply the icing so much quicker and you get a generally more even amount of icing all over the cake.

The cake looks great anyway though!

evesloven Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:00am
post #14 of 14

Thanks for the compliments on the cake. icon_smile.gif

diamond008 - the butterfly is fondant. All the decorations are fondant except for the field flowers. daisies, blue bells, apple blossoms and forget-me-nots are made out of gumpaste.

Now that I'm going over everything I did, I really think I totally forgot to go over that bottom part of the cake with my next layer of icing. icon_biggrin.gif ... I think that is my crumb coat you're seeing. Crazy....the top tier did have a thicker layer and smoothed a bit nicer..sheesh...I think I went nuts on this one. icon_wink.gif I absolutely love it and will make it again if requested..but I was up till 2am this morning..then got up at 9am to finish it up (I had to leave my house at 1 to make it to the party by 2 for delivery). No one said anything other than the cake was the most adorable one they've seen...lol. So I think the un-smooth icing bothered me more than anyone else. icon_wink.gif The customer paid me $110. So I'm pretty pleased with that! lol..OOhh...and there was a caterer at this party that called me after she ate it and wants to talk to me about catering her deserts for her....so I guess it wasn't all that terrible!! LOL.
I am going to try the icer tip next time and try not to take so much icing off....I have a big problem with that. I've got another cake here soon and a few in march..so more practice...this is really only the 7th or 8th cake I've made..so I should be pleased with my progress since I've taken the Wilton classes. icon_smile.gif You guys are awesome, I knew you'd all be honest and give me good tips and yet still make me feel good about the cake I made. Thanks so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%