I Survived My First Large Cake Order!

Decorating By meme Updated 29 Nov 2005 , 6:40am by bigcatz

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 26 Nov 2005 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 9

Yeah it's finally over with I had 3 full Sheet cakes to do Thanksgiving day I could not do them any earlier because they were going to be eaten Sat. icon_rolleyes.gif I got this order last mth I was in the mall and got a phone call on my cell it was my BIL telling me the head football coach of grambling wanted me to do his cakes for the bayou classic icon_eek.gif I nearly hit the floor at the mall at that point because I did not know the birthday cake I made for another order got to a conferance room at the college (if I knew I Never would have made the original cake to send there do to being VERY parinoid over using there emblem) Turns out the cake was a huge hit the head football coach, the president of the college and the alumni all needed one! icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif Anyway so I prepared for this all week making LOTS of icing ahead, FBCT ahead, I thought they would be picking them up for Frid. turns out that they were picking them up Thurs. pm that I found out Thurs. am! Well, thankfully I have a wonderful neighbor/friend who was going out of town and left me her key to use her oven so I had cake going in 2 ovens, I would put them in the freezer to cool them off quickly to free up the pans for the next set. Did not freeze them just enough to cool them so they would not stick to the cake board so I could slide them together. Well when I finally began icing them everything was going great until I picked up the first cake to relocate it to the kitchen table for decorating the icing cracked straight down the middle icon_cry.gificon_eek.gif I don't know if the icing played apart in it but I figured the boards were not strong enough I should not have trusted the words of the man at the cake shop wer I get my supplies! icon_mad.gif While I was trying to fix the icing my hubby was on the phone trying to find plywood of course being Thanksgiving nobody was open, so I called the local Walmart and begged to buy some cake boards from them, thankfully they came through for me so I stacked the cake on top of another board to make it stronger, Decorating them went smooth thankfully! okay now they are done and ready for pick up I made a sheet on the computer and attached on each cake how to handle them ( the cakes were in transit to Houston, Tx.) I explained to the guy picking them up how to handle them The first thing he does after telling me "okay" is pick a cake up holdind on to the sides no suport in the center icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_mad.gif I immediatly reached my hand under the center and explained to him again the reason for the this Okay now he puts all my hard work 2 on the back seat of his hummer and the 3rd on in the back with his luggage icon_cry.gif I am just praying they made it there in one peice, He left at that point I am still freaking out about how the 1st one was handled and praying the design does not get ruined, and my SIL says to me " It's just a cake, not a baby" icon_evil.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gif Definitly something I did not want to hear at that point! Anyway I survived I am praying my cakes did! icon_sad.gif Here is a pic of one simalar to it that I have done in the past same cake different writting.
LL

8 replies
mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 26 Nov 2005 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 9

The cake looks great!!! That is WAY too much drama for me!!!! I can't stand last minute stuff!!! I've sworn that off!!!
I've had times before where I can't bake and decorate too much ahead of time and I've frozen cakes before. If you wrap them really good then they are fine! I actually think it makes them moister! Maybe that could prevent some headaches for you next time you need it. But let's hope there's not a next time of that mess, just the orders and great cakes!
Now....enjoy the rest of your weekend!! thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Nov 2005 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 9

Great cake!!

I can relate to the customer holding the cake by the sides etc....I had a customer come to pick up a cake and did the same thing..Grrrr I told her to use one hand to support the bottom...so she starts to hold it close to her chest like a stack of books...Grrrrr again...No it's a cake!!!! hold it flat.And then there is the customer who sets a flat cake box on a slanted front seat!! icon_cry.gif

I give up!! HA!HA!

ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 26 Nov 2005 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 9

I know exactly what you mean. I had a customer about 2 weeks ago that almost dropped the cake right in front of me. The cake was a 2-layered
11 x 15 so you know it was heavy. I told her that it was kind of heavy and when she grabbed it, she basically tossed it before she finally caught it. My heart almost fell to the floor. But you were very busy. And thats good that you are doing cakes for such "BIG" people. Congrats on that!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Nov 2005 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 9

The cake looks great!
Hugs Squirrelly

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 26 Nov 2005 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 9

Whew...way too much strees for me! You did a great job..congrats!!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 26 Nov 2005 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 9

That cake looks great thumbs_up.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 6:24am
post #8 of 9

Great job thumbs_up.gif

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 6:40am
post #9 of 9

The cake turned out great! Very good job! I'm always nervous about my cakes arriving to their destination in one piece. Even when I'm delivering them I'm a nervous wreck, especially if my DH is driving!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%