Pitch Black

Decorating By debster Updated 20 Feb 2007 , 4:30pm by christabelle682

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 16

How do I get that color without it being bitter tasting? Is it possible? Thanks to ALL who reply................ thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 16

Start w/Chocolate icing, then tint w/black color from there. It's a lot easier to get black from chocolate than from white icing.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 16

I have heard on several occasions to start with dark chocolate frosting and color that black. They say it takes a lot less black to obtain the blackest black.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 16

if you are using red, green and blue frostings as well...

blend the leftovers of them together to get an icky gray that then can be easily tinted black

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 16

Start with chocolate and keep adding in coloring. The first time I thought I did something wrong. I did not realize how much color is needed to achieve a pitch black color.

debster Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks folks I did 2 bottles on a 1/2 batch of frosting and it's still not real black.......I'll try chocolate frosting......... icon_cry.gif

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 16

Few things I found when making black! Some of it learned from here.

1. If I only need a small amount buy the black frosting in the tube at Michaels, cheaper and easier!!!

2. Don't use Wiltons as it takes way to much coloring and ruins the flavor plus everyone will end up with black mouths and lips. Use Americolor or CK it takes way way less color to make!

3. If you have to use Wilton then definately start with Dark Chocolate icing, so you don't need as much coloring and everyone won't end up with black mouths.

4. Most important !!! Make the icing a day ahead as it darkens overnight and you won't need as much coloring. The day you make it it may seem to still be a dark brown or a wrought iron gray but by the next day it is a true black, so don't keep adding coloring but give it time to enrich itself !

These tips are true for red also and any real dark color like a dark purple etc.

Hope this helps !

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 16

Americolor Super Black - it is GREAT!!

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 16

I start with chocolate as well. It's so much easier to get black and even a rich red color too that way.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 16

I have to second - use Americolor! You don't need to start with chocolate icing with Americolor gel and you don't have to use very much. All the black icings on the cakes in my photos were done with Americolor.

Also, let your tinted icing sit overnight if you can - the color will get darker overnight.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 16

I have to agree with freddie. If I only need a small amount of black or red, I use the Wilton tubes. It is pretty thick so if I need it to write or decorate with small tips, I just squeeze it into a bowl, add some piping gel, mix and put into a disposable bag. So much easier and cheaper than trying to get a true black or red color.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 12:53pm
post #12 of 16

Personally, I don't like chocolate BC so I know from experience that the Americolor Super Black will work on plain white icing.

committed2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
committed2cake Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:01pm
post #13 of 16

I had a customer come into the store and want her cake sprayed black. Its much better tasting instead of color (our decorator says) and the charge was ....really minimal. Only took a couple minutes. An easy way out !!! if you dont have your own airbrush

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:11pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Thanks I'm going to try the , I think the chocolate icing is a good idea but what if someone doesn't want chocolate on the cake?

I have a family member that can't have any chocolate so what I do is start with brown coloring. However with Americolor I don't have to tint brown, I just use the black coloring. It is the same concept, except i'm doing an extra step of coloring. Once it is darker brown then just add your black. However with Americolor I don't have to tint brown, I just use the black coloring.

Although Dougs idea is perfect for all of those left over colors! I just combine them and freeze them. Then I can thaw them out and mix, then add the black coloring.

debster Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:24pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks, that's what I was wondering to. How is it if you freeze it and rewhip....................I love learning short cuts we all need them. icon_smile.gif

christabelle682 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christabelle682 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:30pm
post #16 of 16

Use the Americolor- SUPER BLACK- it works like a charm!! Also make chocolate frosting before tinting it black to get a nice balck color instead of a grayish color using white frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%